View Diary: STUNNING: Comparing U.S. & World Covers for TIME Magazine (408 comments)

•  Each of the "other" covers (52+ / 0-)

is about people that aren't US.

The "experts" who look into the minds of US consumers tell us that USers only like to read, watch or listen to people who are them.

The US is both provincial and xenophobic.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Fri Nov 25, 2011 at 07:44:27 PM PST

•  Agree, but which came first (46+ / 0-)

chicken? egg? Our education system is constantly being pared down, and the "entertainment" we are offered is for the most part crap. We aren't challenged. We aren't given fair information. We are over-worked and lord knows most of us are tired.

I look at Jill and Jim Average, both working full time, maybe one or more kids. Maybe opposite shifts. Trying to keep up the mortgage payments and keep up with the kid's activities and shopping and cleaning and they turn on the 'toob 'cus they just want to see something and then they are fed pap.

Don't forget the commute to work, all the time wasted waiting on lines, worrying about medical payments and debts. Let's face it, American life is tough.

Now send Jill and Jim to Germany. They get a one month vaycay every year. They have access to great mass transit and a lifestyle that encourages them to slow down and enjoy. They don't worry about the Dr. or Hosp. or not being employed. Their kids get a great education, just like the one they had. They work for a company that they are so happy with they brand themselves with it.

They shop at little local markets where people freely talk politics, "Taunte Emma Ladens" Aunt Emma stores, they are called. If you don't show up on your regular day someone might come by your place to make sure you are ok. Life is different.

Would American's like that life? I think so and I think that the 1% is scared shitless that we might just find our how fucked we are.

"But much to my surprise when I opened my eyes I was the victim of the great compromise." John Prine

by high uintas on Fri Nov 25, 2011 at 08:10:08 PM PST

•  American life is tough but we like it that way. (12+ / 0-)

It is part of our culture, dog eat dog, competition, type A personalities everywhere you look.  We think there is something noble about it when in reality is is exhausting and stupid.  We need to just stop but after watching the events of Black Friday, I don't think we can.

•  Ok now explain SE Asia, where the majority are not (26+ / 0-)

even thinking of a life like Jill and Jim. And yet, the same cover as Europe.

I contend that in the chicken-egg conundrum what came first was the notion that we americans were the center of the universe. Much truer 60-70 years ago than now. We didn't have to "give a shit" about other countries. We were the king of the hill. So naturally it was all about us and the culture and society has reinforced it all these years.

Fast forward to today and Americans are the only ones who seem unaware of our pathetic and worsening position in world events. Many still have a 1940s outlook about the country and still to this day feel no compunction to know even a little about world affairs.

At this point it's become self reinforcing. By necessity. But it started with an almost justifiably provincial attitude and now is just willful ignorance. Before, we were too important to have to care. Now we're too stupid to be able to.

I've become re-radicalized. Thanks a lot you bunch of oligarchical fascist sons-of-bitches. But once again, I have no choice. Bring it the fuck on.

by mdmslle on Fri Nov 25, 2011 at 09:18:07 PM PST

•  Sadly, I think you've nailed it. As a country, (10+ / 0-)

we are self-centered and woefully intellectually lazy.  I have seriously considered moving to a different country, someplace where education isn't considered "elitist", health care is considered essential and where 37% of the populace doesn't mindlessly believe in superficial and shallow conspiracy theories.

Occupy The Voting Booth - vote for candidates that represent your Occupy values.

by mumtaznepal on Fri Nov 25, 2011 at 10:16:32 PM PST

•  I disagree with your analysis of the citizens of (2+ / 0-)
            koosah, TBug

this country. Look into the corporations and how they frame things and FORCE them upon us.
            Education isn't considered elitist here. I live in a red state, college student, everyone who I talk to is generally happy for me that I am pursuing higher education. Not to mention a minority that is not a demanding for things that I haven't worked for. Where do you live?
            Superficial & Shallow Conspiracy theories? Like what? 9/11 was an inside job? Bin Laden wasn't actually killed? I hate to say it but most people I know who believe in those conspiracy theories belong to the same political party as me, (D).

Good luck in your quest to finding the perfect country-- maybe the US isn't for you. I am sure you will find something unpleasant in every country you visit. As for me, I will stay and fight vehemently to advocate for issues that will make this country better.

•  I hear your points. However, corps don't "force" (1+ / 0-)
              mdmslle

things upon us, as much as we, as a society, accept them.  We are quite content to do nothing, and learn less.

Regarding my comment that education is "elitist", yes, for a segment of this society, it certainly is.  Simply look at the way in which many on the conservative right negatively frame knowledge and education (the attacks on Barack Obama and Elizabeth Warren as  "Harvard elites" is a good example)

You say:  "Health Care is essential. The differences in political parties argue about how we deliver health care to citizens; not whether or not we should have it, it is HOW should we get it."

No.  The Republican view is that if you cannot afford health care from a private provider, you are not entitled to it.  They most certainly do NOT consider every citizen entitled to health care in this country.  They do not support health care for all, nor ways to make health card subsidized or more easily affordable.

Yes, we are an unquestioning and increasingly uneducated society, falling further and further behind internationally in reading, math and science.   Susceptible to any conspiracy theory that doesn't require critical reasoning skills.

As far as your snark about finding "the perfect country", I have been fighting for that, here, for many decades more than you.   I am very proud to be an American, and prefer it to the European countries I have visited.

But I am not blind to what we have become, nor our possibility for changing the destiny we have, as a society, apparently given in to.

I have watched the past 10-15 years markedly change this country, for the worse.  Much the worse.  That is not what I fought for, starting with Viet Nam.

I do question whether this country can save itself - I certainly hope so and will fight for it - or will choose to continue to grow and perpetuate a selfish, self-entitled, overfed, lazy, consumeristic, spoiled class of former humans.

by mumtaznepal on Sat Nov 26, 2011 at 07:51:30 AM PST

•  you need only to look at what rates highest on (0+ / 0-)

TeeVee to see what "the citizens of this country" are into. Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, Jersey Shore and the Housewives of [insert the name of the city] are rating way past any news outlet, way past any election coverage.

Hell, in the highest election turnout in modern history still only 4 out of 10 people who COULD have voted chose not to.

I have no idea what is driving your assessment but I think it's a bit skewed. The citizens of this country are woefully uniformed and prejudiced against getting information news and information from non-US (or non-MSM) sources.  Did you SEE the lines and violence yesterday because of Black Friday? I mean, really. It was so pathetic as to be embarrassing.

No ACTUAL free country can FORCE a citizenry to gobble up it's propaganda. In other westernized counties, the citizens have a healthy skepticism of their media and the media is expected to deliver responsible reportage. Here, it's infotainment of the lowest order and even then only a small number of people watch.  I understand that, but we are definitely lacking here in many regards.

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 26, 2011 at 09:30:17 AM PST

•  I don't disagree about our self absorbed society (0+ / 0-)

but, I do believe that a big part of that is that we seldom travel. It's expensive and we have little time to do it. Travel is the big eye opener, you see how other people live and see our commonality.

In my example Jim and Jill have no time to travel and never enough money, their European counter parts have more than enough time off and travel for them costs less. They see and compare and learn.

Years ago I went to Disney World with my grandson's (in fact it was a month after 9/11) after I returned I was looking through my German friend's woman's magazine that her mother brought her. A trip to Orlando, hotel, and park passes were about a third of what it cost us to go from Utah! I was amazed then related why our Nat. Parks are full of people from abroad. They can, we can't.

by high uintas on Sat Nov 26, 2011 at 01:09:53 PM PST

•  I wish they would test that (13+ / 0-)

I blame those "experts".  I think the world covers would sell just as well here as the "american" ones.  The "experts" have been proven wrong so often that it's not even funny anymore.

It's a time magazine FAIL in my opinion.  They sell the American public short. Of course, they may be right since I rarely read time magazine (in large part because of this type of thing, as well as the fact that they employ joke line).  I'm not part of their target audience so I guess I shouldn't expect them to pay attention to what I think isn't a FAIL.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Fri Nov 25, 2011 at 08:10:54 PM PST

•  upon reflection... (8+ / 0-)

it seems like their "experts" know that publicans wouldn't like those covers and would complain big time, but Democrats might either like the cover or wouldn't give a shit if it was there.  It seems like the typical Village media fear of being typecast as "liberal" to me.  Still  a time magazine FAIL, just a bigger FAIL than I initially thought.

It isn't about selling the American public short.  It's about being afraid of the wingnut media reaction if they run those covers.  It's about the abject cowardice of time magazine.  I'm glad I don't buy it or give their website hits.

by dougymi on Fri Nov 25, 2011 at 08:44:12 PM PST

•  we like to watch movies on tv (0+ / 0-)

mostly the old ones, as we can be sure we won't have to look at people having sex (we like sex, but not voyeuristically);

the one thing that stands out in all american films is the cult of physical violence

everything that's a problem gets resolved that way, and the viewer sees all kinds of mayhem done to humans, but never the horrible damage (except in the more modern films, in which the carnage competes with or is a feature of the sex)

is this because americans are psychologically immature, or is it so that they are molded to be that way?

• Recommended (145)
  • Community (63)
  • Environment (42)
  • 2016 (42)
  • Republicans (37)
  • Elections (34)
  • Culture (34)
  • Bernie Sanders (33)
  • Memorial Day (31)
  • Media (26)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Labor (25)
  • Education (24)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • GOP (22)
  • Science (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site