View Diary: White House says Obama considering rolling back mandatory insurance coverage of contraception (263 comments)

•  No. Pure idiocy then. (18+ / 0-)

For Carney to not say today as clearly as you, "Not gonna happen. The decesion was made, it was a very good one."

Rather than, you know, invite this "sensationalism."

0: Number of Wall Street bankers arrested over crash of 2008. 4619: Number of Americans arrested protesting Wall Street's fraudulent practices 11/21/2011

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 04:06:01 PM PST

•  Agree. Where's the controversy? (7+ / 0-)

Federal money isn't being spent on it.

People are free to chose whether to use birth control.  Or not.

The cost is covered by the insurance company (to whom the patient pays a monthly premium) and by the patient.

No one is being forced to use birth control, so where is there a valid argument?

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one."

by Betty Pinson on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 04:24:42 PM PST

•  Who's fault is the sensationalism Carney or media? (1+ / 0-)
      Imhotepsings

The media, which currently is only the liberal and progressives BTW; are taking Carney's vague statement and going apeshit.

Invite this "sensationalism"
      - HA, as if that was his goal!

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING will change. It's pointless to question the ACA's commitment to following the Institute of Medicine's recommendations. That's what they did, and that's what they are doing--case closed.

Focus on real issues, not sensationalist ones.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 04:28:41 PM PST

•  For like the millionth time (11+ / 0-)

since this administration started I'll say this again; we wouldn't need to argue about what is said, if they'd state their values and positions clearly. Example, Carney could have answered Tapper's question with:

The President's decesion was made already. Contraception is covered under new insurance policies. It is a great benefit for working families and aids safe, responsible family planning.
        Carney didn't say that. It isn't my, Jed or anyone's fault we are confused what the admin's position is now. Once again, they are masters of cryptic, ambiguous messaging.

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 04:47:04 PM PST

•  And...the media responds by writing fear mongering (1+ / 0-)
          Imhotepsings

articles. No matter how clear or ambiguous the statement.

Which propagates 150 variant comments of, "Obama sucks, if only he took our values and applied it to his Presidency"(meanwhile the GOP snatches up disillusioned "Independents/Democrats")

Say what you want about the GOP, but they at least know how to stand by their man.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 04:57:10 PM PST

•  What a victim he is. (8+ / 0-)

Your heart just aches for the leader of the free world, huh? He can summon every news outlet on the globe to transcribe his every word by just snapping his fingers, but the admin can't save itself from being victimized repeatedly by the "lamestream media?"

As suggested earlier, it really is looking like the 2012 campaign slogan is shaping up to be: "Obama: Stop Picking On Him!"

Very inspiring.

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 05:05:31 PM PST

•  My heart aches for so called progressives/liberals (3+ / 0-)
              OnlyWords, kayhag, Imhotepsings

I can't wait for the days of a Gingrich Presidency. Hey, maybe you can start a movement to elect a 3rd party candidate. Let me know how that works for ya!

Funny that you use the words "snapping his fingers" because that's all it took for many people to say, "Obama isn't doing every single thing that I want him to. I'm gonna protest by forfeiting my civic duty to vote and sit behind a computer to complain when things don't turn out how I want them to."

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 05:28:15 PM PST

•  The only candidate who can beat Obama (5+ / 0-)

in 2012 is Obama. It isn't disappointed liberals that are dragging him down, progressives voted in 2010. Public support for ending the Bush tax cuts was bipartisan and very popular. But he let the GOP outfox him. I have full confidence when they come up again in 2012, if he renews them you will be cheering enthusiastically and spewing more of the blame on progressives.

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 05:37:44 PM PST

•  We lost in '10 because 40 mil. people who voted (1+ / 0-)
                  Imhotepsings

'08, DIDN'T in '10. Many of them were left leaning.

I never expressed my opinion on the Bush tax cuts, so how the hell do you get off saying that I would "cheer" for their renewal or "blame" progressives?

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 06:04:37 PM PST

•  You have got to be kidding (4+ / 0-)
            marty marty, Clarknt67, vacantlook, JVolvo

I don't know how many people have to explain it to you.
            1) The decision was made in August.
            2) Churchy groups are pushing for it to be changed.
            3) White House spokesman now says it is not settled, which means that
            4) The decision might be changed which would result in
            5) An absolutely worse deal for everybody.

Again, Carney could have said "the decision was made already." But he said that it is up in the air. Which means that they are considering changing it. Just because you don't care doesn't mean that it is wrong for other people to be concerned about this.

"As the madmen play on words, and make us all dance to their song / to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun..." -- Iron Maiden

by Lost Left Coaster on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 06:03:40 PM PST

•  Absolute worst deal for everyone...including the (2+ / 0-)
              OnlyWords, Imhotepsings

President. Which is why this is pure and utter nonsense.

Feel free to explain the "controversy" to me again, I'm still not quaking in my boots like the rest of the folks on this page.

Jay Carney also said yesterday that Obama will be in regular contact with Sarkozy and Merkel to talk about the Euro Crisis. Does this mean that he, and David Cameron are not best buds anymore because he did not say they are in regular contact? Uh, oh--the UK/US relationship is going to dissolve!
              Just because he is not explicit does not mean that we can draw drastic conclusions from his statements.
              Things haven't changed, so there; relax. If things do change, I'll eat crow. But something tells me, this will blow over and everyone will start complaining about some other minutia.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 06:27:40 PM PST

•  I just don't get your approach (2+ / 0-)
                Clarknt67, JVolvo

I'm really happy for you that you're not worried about this. And you're so not worried about it that you've made a ton of comments on this thread berating everyone else who is worried about it.

But as for the rest of us who find this troubling: we're familiar with the administration's approach to these issues. We don't know what's going to happen because we don't have the kind of crystal ball that you apparently have, but many of us feel that there is good reason to be concerned, and good reason to speak out.

You don't feel that way, and you feel that the best use of your time is berating everyone who does feel that way. Well, I don't get it.

by Lost Left Coaster on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 08:04:17 PM PST

•  A ton, what an exaggeration. It's common curtesy (1+ / 0-)
                  Imhotepsings

to respond to others comments. That's what I'm doing. If you look at people's reponses to what I said you will find that I was berated as well. But that goes with the territory and I like hearing what others have to say, even if we don't agree. You don't see it because my view does not correspond to yours. But to insist that I'm here just to wreck havoc is wrong. I am engaging in conversation--we differ in opinion and that's fine.

Healthcare is my life, in fact women's health is my primary interest. I do not think that Obama will renege on the contraception coverage. That was the point I was making. I don't hold an apocalyptic view of this Administration, sorry.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 08:39:47 PM PST

•  This may help you understand: (1+ / 0-)
                  Lost Left Coaster
                  YoungArizonaLiberal
                  UID: 323265
                  Joined: Oct 21, 2011

Perhaps YAL isn't familiar with this POTUS' long-standing pattern of saying one thing, letting R's frame the issue with ridiculous strawman attacks, POTUS then waffling in public (and/or Carney), taking more strawman attacks, then quietly working out a bipartisan "deal" with the ReThugs behind closed doors.  Ta-daa!

YAL, who might be very young to politics, might not know of this defining trait of this POTUS.

OR YAL might just enjoy criticizing silly, bitter, foolish liberal/Progressives while protecting this POTUS:

My heart aches for so called progressives/liberals/democrats who continue to shoot themselves in the foot by electing someone, liking him for 7 seconds, pushing him off a cliff, then looking down and saying, "oh shit".

That's quite a scathing - AND VERY FAMILIAR - pile of crap dumped on us "so called progressives/liberals/democrats."

It's only missing ponies and Nader.

It is necessary that laws should be passed to prohibit the use of corporate funds directly or indirectly for political purposes; it is still more necessary that such laws should be thoroughly enforced. - Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

by JVolvo on Wed Nov 30, 2011 at 08:18:17 AM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site