View Diary: Occupy LA brutalized, and where is Obama? (255 comments)

•  This is a good diary, but delete the poll (0+ / 0-)

You have a better chance of winning serious consideration if you let this diary have the weight it deserves and you ax the poll.  Some of the options are just bait for Obama Worshippers.

•  You're wrong. (8+ / 0-)

I always look forward to a Punditus diary.  They are almost all textbook examples of the ODS at work.  And I even feel some sympathy with his position.  It's the same way I felt all those decades when I watched White presidents (liberals and conservatives alike) refuse to intervene and stop COINTELPRO or outlaw lynching or integrate the armed forces.  They all just sat on their cakes and made political calculations about how much they could do "under existing circumstances," and their attitude (even when they sympathesized) was that my black a** had to wait until they figured out how much they could do.

I'm not saying that this is acceptable.  In fact. the civil rights workers I know who did time in hell holes like Parchman prison while Kennedy and/or Johnson diddled knew that they were being dissed, but they chose to keep pushing and trying to find a way to work the system in the interest of getting results.  And they are still working, cause that project isn't done.  By comparison, Punditus seems to think he can blog his way to liberation.  I've got my popcorn out and await the further unfolding of his performance.

•  so, because other presidents coldly opted (0+ / 0-)

to disregard and turned a blind eye to injustice, obama should follow that same path?

obama promised a transformative presidency. he called out business as usual as being no longer viable. denouncing violence would certainly count as part of the change that was promised.

The idea of an individual mandate as an alternative to single-payer was a Republican idea. ~ Mark Pauly

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 05:34:41 PM PST

•  Nice try, but I'm not going to follow you down (1+ / 0-)
          Chitown Kev

this road.  Sentence two in my post above clearly says "I'm not saying this is acceptable."   Furthermore, you are ignoring the end of the post where I try to raise questions of strategy.    I talk about the strategy of the civil rights workers when they couldn't get Johnson or Kennedy or FDR to crack down on Southern terrorism.   They did not throw tantrums, they organized, and eventually they got some (but not all) of what they wanted.  I am trying to draw a contrast with Punditus here.  Of course, I could be wrong, but his strategy tends to be to rage against Obama, which I don't find very interesting or effective.

•  mocking another person's (0+ / 0-)

distress about how this country is going down the drain -- doesn't convey opposition to a culture of mistreatment.

maybe if you followed the livestream and saw the police come out in force and heard peaceful protesters assaulted and screaming -- you wouldn't treat this so lightly.

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 10:15:44 PM PST

•  I'm actually not treating it lightly, (3+ / 0-)

you and this diary are.   Police brutality is an institution in this country.  If you were serious, you would acknowledge this.  Raging against Obama may be cathartic and worthwhile to you, but it isn't to  me.  Police brutality is routine and has been for a long time in communities of color.  It requires serious work, not ineffective (and uninformed, in the sense that it does not acknowledge the importance of federalism and localism) rage against Obama.  I take discussions of police brutality most seriously when they acknowledge its institutional character.  But that's just me.

•  i didnt frame this diary as entertainment (0+ / 0-)

as something you enjoy watching while eating popcorn.

you did.

by stolen water on Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 02:57:07 PM PST

•  occupy has campaigned against racist police policy (0+ / 0-)

they got themselves arrested protesting racial profiling in the police use of stop and frisk.

by stolen water on Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 03:01:51 PM PST

•  there is a double standard if obama is willing to (0+ / 0-)

denounce police violence in egypt but not here.

by stolen water on Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 03:03:51 PM PST

•  egyptian officials actually have cited (0+ / 0-)

police violence of occupy protesters as justifying their own treatment of brutalizing egyptian protesters.

you are looking at the issue through a microscope, dismissing it as merely a local issue (nevermind suppression of the movement has been nationwide effort) when we are an example to the world. other countries follow our lead. obama and the administration mouth platitudes praising democracy and the right to expression when it comes to other countries but is unwilling to defend the same values at home.

by stolen water on Sun Dec 04, 2011 at 03:12:58 PM PST

•  nothing wrong with giving both critics & defenders (0+ / 0-)

an option so they can vent. think of it as a release valve.

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 05:30:39 PM PST

• Republicans (18)
  • Health Care (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • International (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site