View Diary: Occupy LA brutalized, and where is Obama? (255 comments)

•  For those who are interested in (13+ / 0-)

a real reason rather than just bashing either Obama or each other for being liars, jerks, serial liars, even jerkier jerks, there are those in government who use the word "jurisdiction." This is a local LA issue. Feds don't just come in or offer up opinions.

Obama's not in Wisconsin either. We don't want him or the feds. It would only complicate matters. I don't want statements that distract from us here in WI.

The feds will get involved in 1st amendment issues from all of these actions eventually anyway. Offering up comments would only risk compromising potential cases.

If this diary and comments are any indicator, President Obama couldn't say anything that would satisfy folks anyway.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. -- Sir Winston Churchill

by bleeding heart on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 02:20:05 PM PST

•  I think the point here is (4+ / 0-)

for some folks here, diarist foremost, to reassert as strongly as possible their visceral animosity toward the President and reaffirm the unshakeable certainty of their indisputable opinions, in the hope of baiting anyone who doesn't share those opinions into the same familiar arguments they're already had, over and over again. And there are plenty who cannot resist the bait, fulfilling needs of their own to confront and engage with intractable foes.

Still not sure what the reasons are.. I suspect it has to do with self-esteem issues, a need for conflict and attention, and the kinds of repetitive behavior one finds in stressed-out cats. There's a diary and comment thread almost exactly like this nearly every day, with many of the same players present. It offers validation, I guess, maybe a sense of purpose or just some place to channel the negative energy in their lives. Maybe they see profit in the end, whatever that may be.

Just some of the reasons I stopped participating regularly at this blog a long time ago, and became a lurker again. Life's too short to spend with chronically angry, self-righteous people addicted to arguing.

"I don't want to know about evil, I only want to know about love..." -- J. Martyn

by BobzCat on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 03:04:51 PM PST

•  to recap: we're upset that obama wont denounce (0+ / 0-)

an obvious wrong like police brutality... so there must be something wrong with us.

how much brutality and violence are you willing to tolerate, bobzcat?

The idea of an individual mandate as an alternative to single-payer was a Republican idea. ~ Mark Pauly

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 04:10:01 PM PST

•  You and admittedly I too have (3+ / 0-)

determined that there has been police brutality.

As a former citizen chair of our police commission, I don't ever recall anyone coming in from a "higher level" of government to resolve our police issues. We dealt with them locally. I didn't go to the county supervisor, I didn't go to the governor, nor did I ask the president to get involved. We had good cops and cops who did bad things sometimes. Discipline was left up to us and to the actions that a citizen may follow through with such as a lawsuit.

That's the way the system worked. It's not a matter of "tolerating" brutality. Brutality is abhorrent. But it's not the fed's turn yet.

by bleeding heart on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 04:51:37 PM PST

•  1) a statement issued isn't micromanaging. (0+ / 0-)

2)  that's how the system works? you mean that's how the system is broken.

when is the last time police have been sanctioning for beating up protesters? is two weeks off with pay punishment? brutality has been tolerated for decades now. it will continue to be tolerated until the majority of people say enough. by the time we reach that bar, it might be too late.

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 05:03:12 PM PST

•  no, that's how the system works (0+ / 0-)

from the bottom up.

You don't walk into the Office of the CEO to inform him that there are problems in the mailroom unless the damn mailroom is burning down.

You put a report on his desk that there are issues going on in the mailroom that are affecting the rest of the company operations and outline how that's going to be done.

•  you make it sound like this is something (0+ / 0-)

we are demanding purely out of selfish regard. this isn't about self gratification.

obama's silence sends a worriesome message:

how do you not see that?

this is a local issue? police mistreatment of protesters is happening across the nation. are you just going to sit there and put up with it? do you consider it a non issue until you yourself are affected?

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 03:27:12 PM PST

•  Perhaps you should read my post: (2+ / 0-)
        stolen water, Kathy S

Now, admittedly I didn't state it directly. I thought folks could infer, especially with the use of the word "we" in relation to Wisconsin. So I'll write it out loud: I'm in Wisconsin. Madison to be exact.

When you say

that tells me you don't know what's happening in Wisconsin. You're saying I'm not impacted? Check out those Wisconsin diaries and tell me what I face on a daily basis before you basically state that I'm not impacted.

Tell me that I'm not directly threatened by some people, both verbally and physically. Tell me I haven't been on the streets for 10 months, marching, recalling state senators, recounting the judicial race, and now the walker recall.  Tell me that others haven't gotten into wrestling matches with baggers. Tell me I didn't get knocked over in the Capitol by a bagger. Tell me what it's like to approach a car at night with a petition in the freezing cold or drive to a remote county to observe a recount and come out to find your tires slashed.

I haven't  "sat and put up" any of these atrocities, nor have I complained about them. I take protective action and keep going. I work and fight my butt off every day, along with thousands of others, fighting back in the ways I know how. And it's working.

There's really nothing that anyone at the federal level can say or do without gumming up either the situation and/or the lawsuits and actions that will be coming.

I even take time out to return here to learn what's going on in other places and also to educate and inform folks like you. That part, I must admit, is not going so well.

-- 30 --

by bleeding heart on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 05:13:46 PM PST

•  the police joined your protest. police presence (0+ / 0-)

within the group served to protect everybody else. after all, police aren't going to beat their own.

but that's not the case with the occupy protests.

by stolen water on Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 05:51:48 PM PST