View Diary: New Madrid at 200: A Disaster Deferred? (102 comments)

•  Excellent diary! (5+ / 0-)
    terrypinder, KenBee, Ice Blue, figbash, 417els

I did a little research on this at one time.  You have covered it waaay better than I would have done.  In that research, however, I did fine some news items about the cities near the fault.  It seems that Memphis, with it's many brick buildings, was choosing to ignore the threat completely, while St. Louis was at least making plans for future construction.  If I can find the links, I'll post them...

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 03:20:22 PM PST

•  oddly (4+ / 0-)
      luckylizard, Ice Blue, figbash, 417els

St. Louis comes off better in a quake. Much of it is on bedrock. Memphis sits above 3,000 feet of sediment. Oops.

[insert pithy sigline here]

by terrypinder on Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 03:32:03 PM PST

•  Yeah. I read (2+ / 0-)
        terrypinder, Ice Blue

those articles quite awhile ago, so I only have impressions, rather than hard facts, but the reporter on the Memphis situation said that the pols had too many immediate things to worry about without preparing for a quake which may or may not ever happen (on their watch...).  He did emphasize the brick construction in Memphis, though.  Said it would crumble in a heartbeat.

by luckylizard on Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 03:45:05 PM PST

•  a heartbeat and it wouldn't take much (1+ / 0-)
          luckylizard

Not sure if anyone's modeled it but a 6 under Memphis---eep!

[insert pithy sigline here]

by terrypinder on Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 03:45:55 PM PST

•  Found the links. (2+ / 0-)
            terrypinder, 417els

St. Louis    Memphis

The 5.2 was the quake that woke me up.  Like I said, I'm 400 miles north/upriver from New Madrid.

by luckylizard on Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 03:52:24 PM PST

•  I was in this 1973 quake in Knoxville, TN: (3+ / 0-)
              terrypinder, luckylizard, marykk
              An earthquake sequence consisting of one foreshock, a magnitude 4.6 main shock, and more than 30 aftershocks occurred south of Knoxville during the latter part of 1973. The foreshock, magnitude 3.4, on October 30, was felt over an area of 2,100 square kilometers, with a maximum intensity of V. The main shock cause minor damage (VI) in several towns in eastern Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Minor cracks in walls at the University of Tennessee Hospital at Knoxville were reported. Minor damage to walls, windows, and chimneys occurred in the Maryville - Alcoa area. The shock disrupted relay contacts at the Alcoa switching station, causing a temporary loss of power. The total felt area, including parts of South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, as well as the region mentioned above, covered about 65,000 square kilometers.
              That one happened in the middle of the night but the boom it caused woke the whole city up.  It sure rattled everyone in my 3rd grade class.  If that's not bad enough, a professor from UT came forth and offered that Knoxville is built on top of a bunch of caverns.

Never meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer.--Bruce Graham

by Ice Blue on Fri Dec 16, 2011 at 06:49:33 PM PST

•  That might (0+ / 0-)

have been felt here, too, although I don't remember it.  My mom felt a tremor around about that time.  I missed what she felt because I was in my car at the time.  The first one I felt myself is the recent one.

BTW, you're just a young 'un.  In 1973 I was a year out of college.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sat Dec 17, 2011 at 01:08:57 AM PST