View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Obama defends middle class (103 comments)

•  Again, I have to disagree. (3+ / 0-)

The President's pitch to AAs has not been to say shut up and vote. Just off the top of my head I know his record includes increasing funding to HBCUs and settling the black farmer's suit against the Agricultural Dept. That is aside from the fact that AAs, like everyone else, benefit from passage of healthcare reform, reversal of DADT and preventing the auto industry from failure.

He recently held a conference with AA community leaders, politicos and academics to address his legislative agenda, past and present. Again, I think they aren't very good at making their accomplishments known but they have been successful in many realms.
    Legislative Agenda for African-American Community

Sarah Palin is a fictitious character created by the media to close the charisma gap between Obama and McCain in the summer of 08.

by smartdemmg on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 06:13:40 AM PST

•  Sigh. (3+ / 0-)
      DemFromCT, LSmith, Meteor Blades

You guys have to learn to stop throwing these lists at people. That's just not going to work. Nor will the fact that you had meetings our useless leaders. Theyre always having meetings. Thats all they do is have meetings.

Try this instead: Convince somebody to open up a factory in compton and put everybody who doesn't have a job there to work. Then illustrate how you helped those employees improve their skills, credit, and economic stablity. Then show how they bought homes in the area and rebuilt their local school.

You all need something like that than these nibble around the edges lists. You guys need a fundamental story that gets to the heart of the bread and butter.

God...you sound like academics in the projects. Just dont get it.

•  wait... what? (1+ / 0-)
        sebastianguy99

You all need something like that

who is "you all" in this context?  and how do you expect something like that to get done on the leadup to this election?

you sound like the corner dude with big dreams and no sense of the scale of them.  I KNOW you're not that, so what gives?

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 06:44:59 AM PST

•  LOL (0+ / 0-)

Big dreams? From Obama? LOL. Ummm...no.

I'm just pointing out that these lists you guys throw around..well, you could print a million of em and people will still be more persuaded by the lint in their pockets.

I using that as an illustrative point, not that it could actually happen. Nobody in America gives a damn about black folks to anything that dramatic, especially not Obama. Drama aint his thing.

•  yep big dreams. "lemme run for prez, fuckit: (1+ / 0-)
            sebastianguy99

stranger things have happened.  stop laughing y'all, I could win!"

"know what?  fuck you rahm, I'm gonna pass healthcare, not just try it, watch.  bet money."

yeah big dreams from THAT dude.  hilarious, right?

y'all keep giving me the fat pitches to just rock outta the park lmao

anyway.  that you're using an impossibility as an illustrative point actually illustrates my general point when it comes to certain lefty critiques of the prez:  they're not grounded in reality.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 06:57:57 AM PST

•  Ah. (0+ / 0-)

So...a half white boy who comes out of a private school and goes to columbia and harvard ends up as president.

Umm..ok. That's good for him, sure. Not exactly translating into big dreams for US, now is it?

He passed the Heritage Foundations healthcare plan. Ok. I suppose that counts as an accomplishment in some circles.

Anyway, im not a lefty. I agree with progessives on many economic issues, but im far too conservative on military force and the environment to count as a lefty. I do keep my views quiet on those things so as not to provoke fury and cause a lot of craziness, but a lefty I am not.

MB will attest. My views on the environment would probably get me run out of here.

•  the "half white" thing slays me. (2+ / 0-)
                smartdemmg, bewareofme

you would never assume that about him if you passed him on the street.  you know it, I know it.  I'd lose that meme, were I you, but alas, I'm not. (I don't make near your bread, for one LOL)

meanwhile how do you know that exactly what you just said doesn't translate into big dreams for me and mine?  my son looks even whiter than him because I look about as black as the prez does and my kid's mom looks white.  he's in a private school right now.  follow where I'm going with that?

I know you're not a 'lefty'.  many self-identified 'leftys' share your concern when it comes to Af-Am support of the president.  even more look to you as a barometer (far more than those same people do me, which cracks me up but thats neither here nor there) so that's why I said that.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 07:10:02 AM PST

•  Ha! (0+ / 0-)

People don't look to me as a barometer. People look to me because I've got a bigger soapbox than you do. I'm no different than you. I just get heard more.

In any case, no I don't follow you because I'm not like you. I come from the gutter. My father came to this country with nothing and practically died in Vietnam to earn his citizenship. I grew up in the Pink Houses. I didn't go straight to college. Couldn't afford it and had no interest in it. I became a Marine.

So yeah...I can't identify with someone who has private schools and what not. I've met folks like yourself but don't know any on a personal level. Far above my social class. Both my girls (16 and 13) go to public schools right here in the hood. By choice, not necessity.

•  here's the thing though homie (0+ / 0-)

your experience is damn sure no more indicative of black life in the USA than mine.

so that's on you that you can't relate.  I actually do know folks on a personal level that came up like you and I think it's a real shame you can't say the reverse.

it's a big world out there.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:06:57 AM PST

•  ROFL I had to come back: you just revealed how (1+ / 0-)
                    sebastianguy99

your household makes like 4 times mine and AFTER that tried to take me to task for being "above your social class"

fuck outta here LMAOOO you almost had me going there.  good one.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:09:01 AM PST

•  Luck brah. (0+ / 0-)

Some people got it. Some people dont.

But that has nothing to do with ones social class. When you start making a lot of money, you'll see that.

•  this ain't england, "brah" (0+ / 0-)

social class IS money here.  you know that as well as I do.

I don't begrudge you your luck but you begrudge me my upbringing, same as you do the prez.  that's just ridiculously subjective when it comes to class in America.  you're just floundering for something to say at this point.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:31:34 AM PST

•  Actually, (0+ / 0-)

it isn't that. I just know that social class has nothing to do with money. You might think that, but you'd be wrong. In fact, I used to think like you do. But that was mistake. It has very much to do, in America, with where you went to school. There are plenty of New England blue bloods who make far less than me but can get into clubs that wouldn't give me the time of day. You either, I suspect.

Money is just what it is. A thing to facilitate trade. Says nothing about your upbringing, social class, or character.

•  you can pay for your kid to go ANYWHERE (0+ / 0-)

and merit can get you there too.  I thought that was the whole thrust of your Punahoe argument, pick one.

if social class is about an elitist "where did you go to school" thing, and money can't buy you into those schools, then your assumption about the prez, me, AND my kid makes absolutely no sense.

if you CAN buy your way into those schools, then I'm right about class in this country.

pick one, like I said.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:50:59 AM PST

•  Perhaps you don't see what I mean. (1+ / 0-)
                            Meteor Blades

Okay, who is of a higher social class:

1. A Harvard educated man from the plata born into a family of landowners whose heritage dates back to the conquistadors, but who, as an adult, has lived on his trust fund to spend most of his time travelling between St. Tropez and Majorca.

2. A Bahian man born in a slum who never knew his father but managed, through public schooling, to become the worlds most successful offshore drilling engineer.

You'd probably think #2, but in reality, its #1.

Yes, where you went to school is a greater factor than how much money you make, but a lesser factor than your social background. At least in the most elite circles of this country. Where people have horses and oil paintings of their ancestors. Like in Beverly Farms or Charlottesville.

•  your antiquated notions of class continue to (0+ / 0-)

amuse me.

that the "well bred" spaniard is automatically of a higher status than the favela born brazilian in your eyes is especially hilarious.

you gave me a hint earlier as to why you think this is the case too, when you mentioned your dad.

like I said, antiquated (probably british) notions of class.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 11:51:37 AM PST

•  Wow. (2+ / 0-)
        bewareofme, sebastianguy99

1. Yes, I believe discussions/debates should be fact driven and not simply based on my emotions. I don't expect my personal feelings to substitute for facts.

2. Note that the conference the president held included community leaders who were able to provide their input and feedback to the president and Cabinet members--in other words, they wrren't nvited to simply listen to the president pontificate.

3. What you dismiss as a mere list, I'm sure if you wrre a black farmer or kid currently appkying to college at an HBCU or a gay member of the military would matter. Run your dismisdive attitude past a worker at GM who still has a job, house and healthcare.

One of pet peeves with this place is the ease with which any topic that doesn't directly improve their individual existence is dismissed as unimportant.

Let me encourage you to read the report linked to my prior post where many of your concerns are addressed, so we may discuss facts. We claim this site is reality based and while I appreciate your feelings, they are no more or less valid than the feelings of those who love this president.

by smartdemmg on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 06:51:31 AM PST