View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Rick Scott hits an epic new low (184 comments)

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)

I don't see much on the food stamps line.  Actually food stamps has become less racial in this recession if you ask me.  If he used a phrase like "welfare queen" or something else, I could make the leap, but a whole lot of non-blacks have experienced food stamps in this recession.

Food stamps is also the least attackable of the "welfare" programs I'd think.  Its food.  I find it more a poor choice of words strategically than anything else.

•  That's ridiculous.... (4+ / 0-)

Gingrich is playing to the Republican base. This is clearly a racial remark.

20, Dude, Chairman DKE Gay Caucus! (College IN-09) (Raised IL-03, IL-09) Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren for Senate!

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:13:31 AM PST

•  How is it racist (1+ / 0-)
        tietack

Isn't food stamps used by more whites than blacks?

•  The perception (4+ / 0-)
          bumiputera, James Allen, Odysseus, askew

of most Whites and Republicans is that African American's are permanent users of food stamps and other welfare services. I don't know why your trying to give a pass or excuse his comment. Much of the discourse of this country has racial undertones.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:27:59 AM PST

•  100% not true (1+ / 0-)
            tietack

Sorry, but this isn't true.  This information is simply widely available and is actually very important in local issues that impact school district.

The % of students qualifying for the free lunch program and households using food stamps is a significant driver of K-12 school educational aid in many states.  This information is quite well known and since most rural areas of this country are about 95% white, they clearly know that white people are users.

The issue of food stamps is one of the least racially polarizing ones relating to government programs, the problem is you aren't distinguishing food stamps from welfare checks, which are different.

•  Okay, you keep believing that. (1+ / 0-)
              askew

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:39:15 AM PST

•  Its common knowledge (1+ / 0-)
                tietack

Statistics are out there and its true.  you can believe what you want with your "All whites think African americans are lazy" crap.

This is beyond inflammatory.  As a rural white who grew up using this program in a town of more than 95% whites, I can assure white people know white people use it and more importantly understand its value.  Its feeding children of poor families, its not in any way a bad program and is never spun that way.

Gingrich making food stamps seem like the boogeyman is a misstep, not a confirmation of white racist attitudes because it doesn't work that way.

•  Tell that to suburban whites. (2+ / 0-)
                  Odysseus, askew

Perhaps rural whites have some sense of who uses food stamps, but I can assure you suburban whites do not.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:52:14 AM PST

•  I don't agree (0+ / 0-)

Given the high percentage of food stamp users in some states (say Oregon, which leads the nation), its hard for me to see how that could be true also.

In a state with 2% black people but 18% on food stamps, suburbanites couldn't make this conclusion and yes, its in the news.  I doubt people in Oregon, suburbs or not, can make this conclusion.  When you live somewhere without blacks this conclusion simply makes no sense.

•  Like Okiedem said, it's (2+ / 0-)
                      Odysseus, askew

perception vs. reality. People are given facts and choose a lot of the time to perceive them the way they want. Like how you perceive Gingrich's comment and how I perceive it. That's also based on our different experiences. You grew up in a homogeneous rural area, I grew up in a heterogeneous urban area. I could very well be taking his comments out of context, but considering who it is and what it's about, I highly doubt it.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 09:10:30 AM PST

•  Conversely (1+ / 0-)
                        jncca

Because you perceive Gingrich to be racist, you perceive this comment to be racist.  So I tend to think this comment still remains innocuous, but perception can take it in a racist direction if you believe the orator to be racist, which you do.  Since you stated that all topics have racial undertones earlier, I think its just as easy of resolution to reach as saying this is intended to be racist.

•  meh (0+ / 0-)

All I know is that when I get together with my Republican relatives and politics somehow rears its head, the discussion always ends up turning to minorities and how they're always on food stamps and welfare and how they ought to just get a job, etc. etc.

I don't think Gingrich meant it to be a dog whistle (more likely, he just thought this would be a snappy sound bite...paychecks vs food stamps!  Yeah!)  And this isn't the first time he has used this line.  I still don't like hearing it but I don't think he meant it in the way others are taking it.

•  Important distinction: Reality vs. Perception (3+ / 0-)
      Setsuna Mudo, Odysseus, askew

I definitely agree with you that the association of African-Americans with food stamps is innacurate, it does seem like its one of the programs which Republicans have created a pretty strong racial code.

I suppose you may be right that the MSM won't have any interest (and especially that it would probably help Newt among Republicans to the extent it became a controversy) but it seems to be pretty over and intentional to me and to be the kind of thing that would make him look pretty bad to swing voters and (more important) fire-up Dems.

25, originally OK-1, currently NY-8. Former swingnut.

by okiedem on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:16:20 AM PST

•  Actually I disagree (0+ / 0-)

To me the issue of racial divide is "welfare" i.e. those who receive actual cash.  The whole "welfare queen" image was always the most reprehensible image the GOP ever came up with.

Food stamps, on the other hand, is far less racially divisive and certainly can't work as well as welfare for division.  Since white people use it more, and much of the benefit actually goes to children, its really not a good issue.

If anything, using food stamps instead of welfare is a huge misstep.  15% of Americans currently use food stamps and the majority are white, its not likely a motivator to rural and lower income whites (the GOP target) as many of them use or know someone using food stamps.

•  Your not understand this. (2+ / 0-)
          Odysseus, askew

White people may be using them more, but they don't know that and they think they deserve to use it. They think African American's are lazy and food stamps are just a validation to them.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:29:47 AM PST

•  Important point (0+ / 0-)

I definitely agree that Republicans have successfully racialized the food stamp program (but I'll let my case stand for now and not extend that anymore).

However, we should be careful about our discourse here. Not that you mean this, but we should be clear that "they" doesn't mean "white people" writ large but rather a particular subset of the Republican base that does largely agree with view you describe above.

25, originally OK-1, currently NY-8. Former swingnut.

by okiedem on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:34:17 AM PST

•  Yeah, that was not the most judical (0+ / 0-)

choice of words on my part. It does have to be said, though, that a significant portion of the white people hold some type of negative view of the African American community.

by ndrwmls10 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 08:42:08 AM PST

•  Ugh (0+ / 0-)

White people think African Americans are lazy?  Are you serious with this crap?

• Recommended (135)
  • Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Education (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site