View Diary: UPDATED: The Unemployment Study the 1% Will NOT Want You to See (w/poll) (147 comments)

•  I like this diary, but I don't like an ongoing (8+ / 0-)

conflation made on Daily Kos. This site massively skews towards middle-aged workers, many of whom have been unemployed, are unemployed, or otherwise experienced financial onslaught.

It remains quantifiably true that the young generation has it the worst in terms of unemployment. It might not seem like a big deal because they didn't have as much to begin with, and so couldn't possibly lose quite as much as the 45-59 demographic.

But let's not might light of the hell-hole that so many young people are living in.  These are foundational years.  Whereas the middle-aged workers you're highlighting are screwed for their twilight years, it's not just a subsection of young people who are screwed.  Almost everyone I know with a degree works at a restaurant, retail, hospitality. I know a guy with an economics degree who works as a hotel receptionist! You think that's going to pay off a 5-yr degree (which is how long state university degrees typically take now)? Almost down to the last one, out of thousands of people I know, almost all those with high-paying jobs already have rich families--who hooked them up with a fat network.

Don't think for a second that the younger generation can't swoop up from behind with a better employment experience and massively overtake many Millenials in about 10 years. We're the lost generation at the moment.

The economic picture for this decade is not rosy. And the next decade should be far from anything as pleasant as the 90s based on our demographic and resource picture.

"However small your audience is, however frustrating it is to get your version of the world or what you want to talk about out there, it’s part of the conversation. And if you shut up, the conversation is one-sided" -- John Sayles

by Nulwee on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 09:10:28 AM PST

•  I know we pulled my son from college after (9+ / 0-)

his freshman year.  My husband lost his job in March of 2009 when the factory relocated to Arkansas where there was cheaper labor.

We were paying 100% for our sons college from his salary and could not see letting the kid go into debt to the vampire squid with exhorbitant rates and slave wages.  So, he is finishing off his first novel.  I have hopes he will get back in school soon, but he would have to take on debt to do it (without us co-signing).  Amazing what 2 years off work does to one's credit score.

The middle class is truly screwed at this point.  Everyone of all ages needs to come together and get involved and not allow one generation to be set against another.

Occupy is not fighting for the rights of a few to sleep outdoors, but for the right of millions to sleep indoors. (VanJones - I think from a tweet).

by Actbriniel on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 09:57:25 AM PST

•  Well, they do have (4+ / 0-)

something that the rest of us don't--and that is time to catch up.  The possibility of catching up is real rather than borderline impossible.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 10:27:32 AM PST

•  That's stupid. (1+ / 0-)
        decembersue

I would have loved to have worked in the 90s or even 80s, compared to the last 10.

If the next decade is going to be a hellhole of de-leverageing, what time do we have, exactly? When we're 40?

by Nulwee on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 10:41:10 AM PST

•  If the future for young people is that stark and (1+ / 0-)
          TheLawnRanger

bleak, then it makes some of the frivolity associated with the OWS protests that much more difficult to understand.  If, as you say, the future is all that and less...you'd think the protests would take on a more edgey, serious and less carnival like tone.

Instead, we see this, from a blog last weekend urging people to participate in an OWS event in NYC on Sunday:

Participants are encouraged to express their dissent creatively, donning fruits hats, wearing burlap sacks, carrying brightly colored signs and moving in time to the beat of the drums.

The future's so dark I gotta wear a Carmen Miranda hat....

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes her laws." Mayer Amschel Rothschild

by Keith930 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 11:49:47 AM PST

•  If we don't laugh, we'll start crying (1+ / 0-)
            Saint Jimmy

And if OWS just sits there crying, the 1%es will accuse them truthfully of being whiny crybabies.

By expression their dissent in more creative ways, they stop that argument before it's even made.

Keep your religion out of my government.

by catwho on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 03:42:03 PM PST

•  Many of us in our 50s (0+ / 0-)

started our careers during a time of high unemployment in the mid 70swhen there was also a recession.  Granted the time to get a job is longer now (I know I was only unemployed a year and a half after college) but believe me that seemed like a long time.  There is a pretty narrow window of folk who jumped straght from college into good paying jobs.  Many of us started minimum wage or part time, even with an education.

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 07:39:06 PM PST

•  First, you do not know (1+ / 0-)
          ladybug53

what the next decade will be.

Second, just think about the prior depression and what happened.  All of my relatives who lived through the depression or born before the depression were able to recover.  Most of them were not even college educated, yet they all had significant assets to pass on to their young.  The people who worked through the boom years of the 40s, 50s, and 60s had stable working environments and their dollar was worth more.

Now, obviously the labor market is different structurally, however, the young people still have the time to benefit from ecomonic booms during the rest of their lives.

Right now at 50+,  I'm screwed.  No one wants a 50 year old when they can hire a young person.   And these young people are taking well paying jobs, so they will easily be able to pay their bills and grow their assets.

Some examples:  I am a seasoned auditor/accountant CPA and CIA.  I applied for a state auditor job a couple of years ago.  Who got the job?  Young women did, that's who.  How do I know?  Because I applied again this year and got interviewed [but not hired] by the young women who had been hired a couple of years ago.  I worked recently as a temp auditor for a state agency for a six month assignment.  Who got the permanent job?  A young guy with no audit experience who had been fired from his previous position.  I was laid off about a year ago from an operational job.  Who replaced me?  A young woman who is still employed at that employer.  The same employer targeted and laid off numerous older employees and replaced them with younger employees.

I can provide example after example of when I worked for temporary agencies in the '90s of how every workplace had young men in charge while older, better educated women worked for the young men.  Or even example after example of how inexperienced young men got well paid presitigious jobs without even having experience.  And example after example of how young attractive women had been hired over more qualified older applicants.

So, sorry if I don't jump on the 'poor, young workers who are struggling' bandwagon.  From what I've seen, the younger workers are easily bumping off the older workers.

Although I certainly sympathize in that there aren't enough jobs to absorb the younger workers, too.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 10:13:34 AM PST

•  How someone starts out in the workforce (3+ / 0-)
        sockpuppet, TexasTwister, barbwires

will bias their wages and career path for the rest of their lives.   They'll always be a few years behind. So yes, it will affect them enormously.  it's one of the major factors behind gender wage gaps, and racial wage gaps, too. Women and minorities in many professions often have to "prove themselves" more and that delays careers.

The argument might also be made that over 40's had more time to prepare for a downturn.

Neither argument is particularly fair.

•  I understand what you are saying. (1+ / 0-)
          Richard Cranium

Bottom line--they have more time than me, relatively speaking, to get going and recover.  Someone like me has no time to recover.  At least they have a potential long run, while in the long run, I'm dead.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney