View Diary: School board member who bombed Florida 10th grade test comes forward (216 comments)

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
    Gareth
    We're talking about 10th grade math here, not calculus...

Yes, but we're also talking about an education degree, which may not require a single course in either.  A master's degree in education almost certainly has no mathematics component.

And if the last math course you took was in high school, well, let's put it this way:  how's your high school Spanish?

Linking to a news article is journalism in the same sense that putting a Big Mac on a paper plate is cooking.

by Caj on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 09:58:27 PM PST

•  As far as I know (7+ / 0-)

an education degree requires completing 10th grade.  And the test is a minimum competency test.  The questions are astonishingly basic.

From the released questions:

In 1995, there was a total of 7.2 million acres of pine forests in Florida. All of the forests were either natural or planted by people. Given that 4.4 million acres of these pine forests were planted by people, how many millions of acres of these pine forests were natural?

That question requires one to compute

7.2 - 4.4

Are you seriously proposing that that is too advanced for someone with a master's degree in anything other than idiocy?

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation..."--David St. Hubbins

by Old Left Good Left on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 10:06:42 PM PST

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
        banjolele
        an education degree requires completing 10th grade.

You seem to have missed my point about high school Spanish.  People learn lots of things in 10th grade that are either gone or very rusty by their 21st birthday.

Hell, our undergraduates have to take a sophomore-level class in probability, and a lot of them have lost it by their senior year.

That question requires one to compute

7.2 - 4.4

I can definitely say that I have encountered people who could not answer that question, and who could nevertheless graduate from college and even get a master's degree in a nonmathematical field.  A master's degree is not like a 140 on an IQ test, it's just a master's degree.  In many cases it just means you spent 1-2 years taking specialized courses in your field.

by Caj on Wed Dec 07, 2011 at 10:47:36 PM PST

•  Problem misidentified? (2+ / 0-)
          Deep Texan, HiBob

Perhaps the problem is misidentified.  The problem is not that these tests (e.g. 7.2-4.4) are too hard for the students.  Perhaps the problem is that somebody as dumb as Rick Roach has anything to do with education.

•  Seriously? (1+ / 0-)
          Deep Texan

You think that it takes an IQ of 140 to subtract two numbers WITH A CALCULATOR?

by Old Left Good Left on Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 08:43:25 AM PST

•  Again, I think you misread what I wrote. (0+ / 0-)

I didn't say you needed high IQ to subtract two numbers.  I said you didn't need a high IQ to get a master's degree.

Ergo, you can have someone with a master's degree who cannot subtract two numbers, because the master's degree is not proof that he isn't dumb.  See?

by Caj on Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 11:26:41 AM PST

•  The implication of your statement (0+ / 0-)

"A master's degree is not like a 140 on an IQ test, it's just a master's degree" is that a master's degree does not guarantee the ability to subtract because that is an ability for which an IQ of 140 is required.

by Old Left Good Left on Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 11:58:13 AM PST

•  No, it isn't. (0+ / 0-)

No such inference can be drawn from that sentence.

by Caj on Thu Dec 08, 2011 at 12:07:12 PM PST