View Diary: Republican presidential hopefuls to suck up to Mike Huckabee at anti-choice movie premiere (98 comments)

•  Women's rights.... (1+ / 0-)
    Seemabes

...like gay rights, gun rights, and the whole host of other "issues" is just another example of the manufactured "issues" BOTH wings of the ONE party create in order to maintain the illusion there is some sort of difference between the "left" wing and the "right" wing of the ONE party.

Meanwhile, while people chase these empty "issues" and distract people's attention with them, both wings of the ONE party continue the EXACT SAME economic policies that continue to destroy our democracy and our planet.

Keep your eye on the ball, folks, and don't let these fallacious "issues" THE party uses to distract you do so. Democrats, like their Republican kin, use these issues just as effectively in their silly game of volleyball meant only to distract your attention away from the FACT they ALL continue to run rough shod over working people in order to enrich themselves, their wealthy campaign donors, and the corporate front they all hide behind.

If you're talking about these "issues" THEY have already won. Every attempt by them to distract attention away from their treason and treachery should be met with a redirect back to their crimes. We should never fall for their petty tricks and effective manipulation of the dialogue. There is only ONE thing we should all be discussing and NOTHING else...and that is the treachery and treason of BOTH wings of the ONE party currently destroying our democracy. Chasing the bones they toss in roder to keep us off their trail isn't doing anyone a favor but them.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm a socialist. - Bernie Sanders

by MNW on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 11:17:27 AM PST

•  Derail! (0+ / 0-)

That's ok pal, your goal is known from your previous statements. I appreciate your lame attempts at subtlety.  :)

There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death. -- Isaac Asimov

by tytalus on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 11:33:36 AM PST

•  Keep doing the same thing... (0+ / 0-)

...and expecting different results.

People like you are the primary reason we find ourselves int he mess we are in. Your gullibility and inability to recognize how treacherous BOTH wings of the ONE party are is why nothing ever changes. So feel free to keep voting for the "lesser of two evils" and expecting something good to come from evil. Evil has never borne good. Ever. But feel free to continue to believe it somehow has the ability to do so.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm a socialist. - Bernie Sanders

by MNW on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 12:05:02 PM PST

•  I get it. My daughters' reproductive rights, (3+ / 0-)
      tytalus, Sue B, VirginiaBlue

my daughter's and friends' ability to marry the one they love, the ability to make our own decisions over our bodies and our personal choices in life --
      all of those are just "empty" "manufactured" issues that I should ignore in favor of ......
      well, from reading your comment, nothing that makes a whole lot of sense.
      No thanks. I'll keep chasing my "fallacious" issues by fighting the Republicans and the few and faithless Democrats who support them.

If, in our efforts to win, we become as dishonest as our opponents on the right, we don't deserve to triumph.

by Tamar on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 11:41:40 AM PST

•  I'm gay... (0+ / 0-)

...and even I recognize how both wings of the ONE party continue to exploit the gullibility and naivite of folks like you.

As long as people continue to play ball with the volleyball they exploit you with, both wings of the ONE party will continue to exploit your gullibilty and naivite. It's what they rely upon to continue their strangling grip on our democracy. So feel free to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It's yourself you make look like an idiot.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm a socialist. - Bernie Sanders

by MNW on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 12:07:05 PM PST

•  Interesting (1+ / 0-)
          Tamar

You're gay, and yet somehow unaware of the advancements made in your rights in this country, lately? Does it get blocked out because the source was "evil" from which nothing good can be borne?  :)

by tytalus on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 12:20:57 PM PST

•  rec'd but it should read "advancements made in (2+ / 0-)
            Sue B, tytalus

our rights in this country," because gay rights (as Hillary said) are human rights.
            I've never been arrested, never had my home searched by police, never had to pay a poll tax to vote or been beaten to stop me from voting, but the changes that made it necessary for police to read people their rights when arresting them, have a search warrant to search their homes, the changes that guaranteed the right to vote to people of any color or religion or ethnicity, all those changes benefit me and my family even though we haven't been directly affected by any of those problems.
            And now those voting rights are being eroded -- I'll probably always be able to vote because I'm a middle-aged, middle-class white person, but it hurts me, it hurts our country when people are denied their rights.
            And in response to the earlier no-difference-between-the-parties guy, Eric Holder made a pretty strong statement about the erosion of voting rights. I'm looking forward to his investigation, which would never have been allowed to even be started in a Republican administration.

by Tamar on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 12:31:34 PM PST

•  There haven't been ANY advancements made... (0+ / 0-)

...in "our" rights, Tamar. That's the ILLUSION they want you to believe in.

MY...ahem...OUR rights are INALIENABLE and are GUARANTEED by the US Constitution. The fact that FACT gets missed by so many people on the "left" is astounding.

All of those things you list were championed by the Demoratic party when it was actually an opposition party. That party died when Reagan took office and set the country on this course toward oblivion. There is ZERO difference between the economic policies of Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama. All are so parallel they cannot even be remotely considered to be different.

What continues to occur is a threaten, fearful population continues to be swayed into believing there is a difference between these two wongs of the SAME party by the effective and efficient use and manipulation of MANUFACTURED issues. For example, a woman's right to choose her own medical needs is SETTLED LAW and has been for almost 40 years. Poll after poll after poll after poll continues to demonstrate 80% of the population supports legal abortion, even though they may not support having an abortion themselves. Both wings of the ONE party, however, continue to make an "issue" out of this NON-ISSUE. The number of people who find my marriage to be "icky" is slowly BUT SURELY diminishing. It would, whether politicians made an issue of it or not. The truth about gay people is what continues to erode all the hoopla bullshit opposing it. That truth would be there whether THE party made an "issue" out of it or not. It's only a matter of time before poll after poll after poll after poll shows that same kind of split...80% for, 20% opposed. This is because there will always be a certain segment of the population that can't mind its own business and harbors prejudice for those it judges as "less than".

But feel free to continue to vote for the "lesser of two evils" and expect good to come of it. Evil has never produced good and it never will.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm a socialist. - Bernie Sanders

by MNW on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 01:02:32 PM PST

•  Problem with your argument (1+ / 0-)
                Tamar

is that things have changed, some rights have been recognized in reality, not just a Platonic ideal. If you're gay and married, and can't recognize there was a time when you could not do that, best of luck lecturing others on believing in illusions.  :)

by tytalus on Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 01:17:04 PM PST

•  Problem with YOUR argument... (0+ / 0-)

...is that I was married to my partner for many, many, many, many, many years before the legal recognition of it was ENFORCED because of a constitutional GUARANTEE, by the court.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING platonic about my GUARANTEED rights. You, like so many other Americans, don't seem to comprehend that my rights are INALIENABLE and whether or not the government recognizes them or not DOESN'T CHANGE the FACT that they are inalienable.

I am married whether the state or federal governments...or a bunch of Christian bigots...says so or not. My marriage isn't determined by a piece of paper issued by the government. The sooner people like you understand this FACT, the sooner my rights will be respected in every state. As it is, people like you want to believe the state determines such things when CLEARLY they do not.

The big illusion for people like you is the one that doesn't allow you to see that a piece of paper from the government doesn't make or break a marriage. That's an illusion. That piece of paper has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my marriage and everything to do with the benefits, protections, rights, and privileges of the laws surrounding marriage...but it doesn't "create" a marriage anymore than the easter bunny lays jelly beans.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm a socialist. - Bernie Sanders

by MNW on Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 11:38:06 AM PST

•  Tin foil hat a bit tight today? (n/t) (0+ / 0-)

•  Hardly "empty issues." (0+ / 0-)

This is the kind of cynical crap that gives politics a bad name. The difference between abortion being legal or illegal is huge, as are some other differences between the two major parties.

Stop perpetuating this mindless crap already.