View Diary: Oooopsy. GOP attack on light-bulb efficiency irks manufacturers (299 comments)

•  GOP is doing the bidding of Big Coal & Utilities (10+ / 0-)

here.

Lets be clear about that.

Gasoline made from the tar sands gives a Toyota Prius the same impact on climate as a Hummer using gasoline made from oil. ~ Al Gore

by Lefty Coaster on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 10:41:03 AM PST

•  My Austrian ex to me, about 15 years ago: (8+ / 0-)

"Why hasn't the most powerful country in the world nationalized it's utility companies?"

My answer: "Because the most powerful country in the world is all kinds of stupid". (Translated from the German. Stupid="deppert").

Capitalism may be our enemy, but it is also our teacher. --V.I. Lenin equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 10:44:21 AM PST

•  Actually, "deppert" is Austrian (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

dialect.  I've heard it in Bavaria, too, but never up north.  The more standard word is "blöd."

-7.13 / -6.97 "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -- Edmund Burke

by GulfExpat on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 12:13:12 PM PST

•  My SIL is Swiss. Her home village reaps (3+ / 0-)
        commonmass, TofG, fumie

the profits from the local hydro-electric dam -- that sells its power to Italy. Everyone in her village gets a stipend based on this energy production. The community owns the resource, not a corporation. Sounds Communistic! (funny since there probably isn't a more capitalistic-minded country than Switzerland).

If, in our efforts to win, we become as dishonest as our opponents on the right, we don't deserve to triumph.

by Tamar on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 12:44:19 PM PST

•  I dislike the Swiss, noramlly, but (1+ / 0-)
          TofG

I get a kick out of your story. I don't carry water for Lichtenstein, either.

by commonmass on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 12:45:56 PM PST

•  My SIL is proud of being Swiss but is aware of (2+ / 0-)
            commonmass, sharman

the not-so-wonderful things about the Swiss. When I saw the movie Bread & Chocolate (mid 70's) that pictured the Swiss as cold, I asked my SIL if that made her mad. And she said "no, because it's true!"
            She loves her village and there are people there who have known her family for many generations. But when she returned to Switzerland and lived in Zurich for a couple of years, none of her friends were Swiss -- she said the Swiss were not interested in being friendly (and my SIL is one of the warmest-hearted, nicest people I know).

by Tamar on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 12:55:04 PM PST

•  Not surprising some dislike the Swiss since it's (0+ / 0-)

been commented on that:

in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
    •  It's also about hippie punching (9+ / 0-)

the libs like it, so it has to be evil and utterly destroyed.  The manufacturers are just brainwashed by the liberal media on this.  They'll come to their senses once the liberal infection is cured.  The pubs and cons know this to be true.

A lot of the pubs and cons reason for existence is to oppose anything that might be liked by liberals, even though they know it's a positive for the economy or for society.  Libs like it, so it must be opposed.  My wingnut brother in law is a classic example.  When CFLs first came out, he loved the hell out of them because they lasted forever and saved money on his electric bill.  Now he hates them and has changed back to incandescent.   Nothing has changed so why hate them?  Liberal hating and the fact that the change is happening during a Democratic (i.e. socialist/communist/fascist) administration is the only new variable.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Mon Dec 19, 2011 at 11:44:05 AM PST

• Economy (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site