View Diary: Exporting Carbon Pollution - We Shall Not Participate in Our Own Destruction (91 comments)

•  If you are an average American (1+ / 0-)
    mightymouse

The amount of power you consume is simply unsustainable.

There are solutions to reduce consumption, reduce emissions and improve quality of life.

Just be honest: you don't want to. I don't know why, but that is what your arguments say.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 03:35:37 AM PST

•  I disagree with you (0+ / 0-)

The answer is not to tell me to degrade my quality of life, its to find ways of making my energy usage sustainable.

That's my entire point, really: "You have to use less energy" is a losing message and a surefire way to drive people AWAY from your cause.

And it's vital to get people to convert to the cause, which is why I get so frustrated when I see the environmental movement using messaging guaranteed to drive people away from it.

"The future of man is not one billion of us fighting over limited resources on a soon-to-be dead planet. . .I won't go back into the cave for anyone."

by Whimsical on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 03:43:11 AM PST

•  You are not making sense (0+ / 0-)

If it it unlimited power you want, then why don't you support Clean, Renewable Power Generation?

But the simple fact is, US per capita energy use is very high and there is much room to reduce the amount used AND to improve quality of life if there is investment in energy conservation, clean energy generation and mass transit.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 08:30:15 AM PST

•  Who says I don't support it? (0+ / 0-)

My point is that I want the environmental movement to be trumpeting more "Here's how you can use more energy without killing the planet" and less "Use less energy!"

by Whimsical on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 05:43:53 PM PST

•  So you are against energy conservation? (0+ / 0-)

This is the part that does not make sense because energy conservation is the low hanging fruit, i.e., the fastest and cheapest way to reduce carbon emissions with the best return on investment.

Reduce, reuse, recycle, replace. That is the order.

Google "Negawatt" and start reading.

What doesn't makes sense? What is not to like?

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 09:51:26 PM PST

•  I'm not against conservation (0+ / 0-)

I'm not HEARING about conservation.

What I am hearing from the environmental movement is "You're going to have to degrade the quality of your life by using substantially less energy."

FFS, there have been 3 diaries on either the rec list or community spotlight in the past week about how we are going to have to stop living the way we are and transition to a "low-energy economy".

That's a message that's not going to fly.

There needs to be much more of the stuff I've seen in this thread about how we CAN keep living in a reasonably close manner to that which we've been accustomed to while transitioning to renewable energy(btw, this thread is the first time I've seen that message from ANY environmentalist), and much less of the "your quality of life will inevitably deteriorate".

The environmental movement has a messaging problem. That's my point.

by Whimsical on Sat Dec 24, 2011 at 04:09:11 PM PST

•  May I suggest (0+ / 0-)

You research a bit more?

I agree with you that conservation is often under-stressed in some public spaces but it is a significant part of the nuts and bolts of the clean energy and sustainability movements and an area where actually a lot of progress is being made because it is cost-effective.

Search "Green Data Center" and I think you will find one tip of that iceberg.

Are you also reading selectively?

Just for example, conservation measures such as auto milage standards, energy efficient lighting and mass-transit are prominently featured on most green sites and even here on Daily Kos, both on the front page as well as some prominent diarists such as ASiegel (Adam Siegel) who's current diary may interest you.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Sun Dec 25, 2011 at 12:36:02 AM PST

• Education (19)
  • Media (18)
  • Climate Change (18)
  • Labor (18)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Law (16)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site