View Diary: Taibbi and Connaughton on Obama, Geithner, “The Rule of Law,” and “Government, Enron-Style” (173 comments)

•  Of course! (2+ / 0-)
    Tuffie, Lying eyes

Now that Republicans are on the ropes, instead of pressing the attack, here comes bobswern to...attack Democrats!

Yay bobswern! Keep hope alive, buddy. Obama will go DOWWWWWWWWWWN!!11!!!1

Progressivism, like conservatism, cannot fail. It can only be failed.

by tomjones on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 07:07:02 AM PST

•  You're a little confused. It's okay though. (20+ / 0-)

We understand. (If you'd like cheerleaders, there are still a few weeks left in football season.)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 07:16:44 AM PST

•  Oh no (1+ / 0-)
        Tuffie

I think you're confused about who the enemy is. But whatevs, I'm sure you're hoping clarity will return when, per your wish, Obama is defeated and Republicans get free reign of the government.

Progressivism, like conservatism, cannot fail. It can only be failed.

by tomjones on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 07:21:01 AM PST

•  That's twisted, shallow and grossly untrue; but... (19+ / 0-)

...other than it being a gross distortion of my position on these matters, it's right on the money. So, don't let the facts get in the way of your perceptions. Something about the words, "ignorance is bliss," would seem appropriate right around now.

You should checkout Moyers' piece, linked at the bottom of my post.

by bobswern on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 08:44:44 AM PST

•  Really, Bob? (1+ / 0-)
            Lying eyes

This is an election year.  Yeah, Obama should be in jail.  We get it.  You've pounded it in enough, and get your rec list tributes by the Naderite hordes.

President Romney gonna be better?

I don't care how you phrase it, deny it, obfuscate it or shovel it: this kind of constant attack is utopian bullshit that serves the electoral needs of the one percent.

And I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds here on this particular diary for my opinion.  Fine.

But this is 'both sides are the same' squared.

Andrew Mellon & GOP: 'In a Depression, assets return to their rightful owners'

by Tuffie on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 09:35:29 AM PST

•  Well said. eom (0+ / 0-)

Progressivism, like conservatism, cannot fail. It can only be failed.

by tomjones on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 10:39:50 AM PST

•  You mean my "constant attack" of reality? (12+ / 0-)

Because other than just reporting upon some inconvenient truths and opinions, everything else you're inferring here is either false, twisted or deliberately misrepresentative of both my sentiments, my voting intentions, and my positions on the issues, in general. Funny how some of my posts have that effect upon some in this community.

Please refer to the Moyers' link at the bottom of my post, too.

Utopian bullshit? How about just dealing with the bullshit, and leaving utopia out of the mix.

I'm sure the scores/hundred-fifty-plus million folks in this country that are living at or near the poverty level would greatly appreciate a little more reality and a little less cheerleading, too. You see, the problem is, no matter's who's in power these days, those numbers just keep growing.

by bobswern on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 10:41:52 AM PST

•  Really (5+ / 0-)

I don't have a problem with a little hyperbole, even when I disagree with it, but equating demands to enforce the law with "utopian bullshit" and "President Romney" and "serving the electoral needs of the one percent" is absurd.

If we didn't have a President, or a Congress, and were governed instead by a junta of bankers and hedge fund managers, how much difference between that scenario and the present would there be?

A terrible beauty is born. --W.B. Yeats

by eightlivesleft on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 11:52:52 AM PST

•  As far as I can see (5+ / 0-)

they already have free reign of the government. They are just the leg breakers and thugs who are used to scare the pants off people and keep the fraudulent electoral kabuki going, while both parties divvy up the ill gotten loot.

If the Democrat's had of been serious about 'reform' and fixing this insanity they would have gotten rid of the super majority, it just a freaking procedural rule. They also would not have tied hostages to every bill that actually did something for the people. Cat food commissions one and two? Simpson? Daley?  the GE jobs czar? Seems the truth is too hard to deal with for some and they prefer fear of the other side, rather then reality.

•  This isn't a valid defense of Obama (2+ / 0-)
          dharmafarmer, cybrestrike

or a defense of  the democrats who actively participated or aided and abetted by being silently complicit.

The Rule of Law is the Glue that holds this society together. Fundamental fairness in the application of the rule of law demands that the DOJ be totally dedicated to jailing the the top violators and not be in a suicide pact with the financial world.  Since it isn't a priority but poker sites are,  it's quite apparent that no matter who occupies what office, the painful un-gluing of American society will continue regardless of who is in office.

We all know it is the offense of choice for the apologizers and cheerleaders of this administration along with the  partisan hacks who get paid to stay in the winning column.

It just isn't going to work, even if there is a win. Ignoring the Rule of Law while suffering from "empiritis" is a known cause of bankrupt empires throughout history with the greatest amount of misery inflicted upon those who can least afford it.

Those with the Pom Poms and Blinders have always been the ones that have created the critical mass necessary for the failure of society. Keep it up.

We have hit critical mass. This is not something we will pass on after we die. It is something that will cause us to wish we were dead. The  "woulda coulda shoulda" sigh will be the final breath of the country if the cheerleaders have nothing to cheer about except their own survival.

•  Because God knows... (4+ / 0-)
      BradyB, soros, cybrestrike, 0wn

...Democrats are pure by sole nature of slapping a D after their name.

• Recommended (126)
  • Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • GOP (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site