View Diary: 1 in 5 women in the U.S. have been raped: the war against women (35 comments)

•  While I appreciate your cynicism... (3+ / 0-)
    Aji, rubyr, metal prophet

I maintain my right to hope. :)

"If you fake the funk, your nose will grow." -- Bootsy Collins

by hepshiba on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 02:35:50 PM PST

•  Oh, he showed up in Frankie's diary . . . (6+ / 0-)

last night.  The archetype, I mean.  Of course, the one in her diary has problems with POC and all things liberal, as well.

As far as your diary goes, all I can say is, "Yes, yes, and YES."  I've done work with domestic violence/sexual assault survivors generally, as well as in NDN communities, where the stats are substantially worse than for American women overall.  And I'm glad you touched on the health ramifications:  PTSD, autoimmune disease, FMS, migraines, neurological/seizure disorders, metabolic problems . . . as well as the more recognized addiction/suicide patterns - a whole host of health issues directly traceable to the trauma of sexual violence that goes unremarked, unreported, untreated, and unprevented.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 02:41:55 PM PST

•  The stats on black & NDN communities (5+ / 0-)

were definitely the scariest:

Approximately 4 out of every 10 women of non-Hispanic Black or American Indian or Alaska Native race/ethnicity (43.7% and 46.0%, respectively), and 1 in 2 multiracial non-Hispanic women (53.8%) have experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

"If you fake the funk, your nose will grow." -- Bootsy Collins

by hepshiba on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 02:51:43 PM PST

•  Yeah, for us it's actually more than 1 in 3 . . . (7+ / 0-)

at least once in her lifetime (although I can't say I'm surprised that the CDC doesn't report it that way).  Worse, those stats come from the reported rapes, and as grossly underreported a crime as it is, that means the reality is much worse.  I wrote on this for Ms. & BlogHer last year, and IIRC, 86% of rapes of NDN women were by non-NDNs, and more than 70% of them by white men. The vast majority unprosecuted, of course, which is what made last year's changes to the criminal law governing sexual violence in NDN communities such a landmark.

But it is, as you put it, a war against women, across the board.  And it's one HUGE reason why I will fight to my dying breath to keep Republicans out of power, period.  And why I have zero patience for the "both parties are the same" so vote [Nader/Paul/insert third-party candidate's name here] tropes.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 03:02:02 PM PST

•  Yeah, I took all those numbers (3+ / 0-)
            rubyr, colleen, KenBee

as very conservative estimates.  In truth, I think it's a rare woman in the U.S. who makes it through her whole life without ever being stalked, raped, beaten or abused.

What's remarkable about your 70% of rapes by white men statistic is that most rapes in other communities are in-group, so Native women are clearly having a different experience than other U.S. women.  Those stats seem to suggest that there's some sort of rape-enforcement mechanism in place that's linked to an authoritarian regime where oppression is (re)enforced by control of an oppressed community's women (much like the antebellum South). Is that the case?

The other thing that the CDC report's stats don't seem to show is how often women were abused by the same perpetrator.  For example, many intimate partner rapists commit the crime regularly, but these stats seem to equate one perp with one crime. There's nothing in there on revictimization, or on duration of abuse.

"If you fake the funk, your nose will grow." -- Bootsy Collins

by hepshiba on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 03:23:08 PM PST

•  Not to mention that glibertarians.... (3+ / 0-)
            hepshiba, colleen, KenBee

....like Paul would totally gut rape and DV programs and shelter on the grounds of it being "inessential" or "the duty of the charitable sector." Seriously, these people are fucking assholes. While I agree with libertarians on drug policy and a generally non-interventionist stance abroad, I would never EVER vote for them.

•  'as grossly underreported a crime as it is'... (1+ / 0-)
            hepshiba

..squinting all the while in the glare of a culture that radiates ultraviolet consumerism and infrared celebrity...Russell Brand

by KenBee on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 10:53:54 PM PST

•  Happy Holidays, Aji!!! n/t (4+ / 0-)
        Aji, Denise Oliver Velez, hepshiba, KenBee

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 03:09:23 PM PST