View Diary: House Republicans make the cave official. Two-month extension of payroll tax, jobless benefits OK'd (98 comments)

•  How about... (3+ / 0-)
    common green, dinotrac, MKSinSA

...we celebrate the fact that the House of Representatives, The Senate, and the President actually agreed on something that will help the American people, instead of admonishing them for taking long.

•  Sure... (18+ / 0-)

From Politico Playbook:

There is no point in rubbing it in. No aide can say anything that the Wall Street Journal, Karl Rove, or SenateRepublicans haven't already said about what an unmitigated disaster House Republicans' strategy has proven to be. I don't think there is a sober Republican who doubts that this week set them back significantly for 2012.

The surest way to predict the future is to invent it. — Stephen Post. [Me at Twitter.]

by Meteor Blades on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:40:21 AM PST

•  So how do we consolidate these gains (0+ / 0-)

and expand onto them.  I think that lessons were learned - but might soon be forgotten.

An illusion can never be destroyed directly... SK.

by Thomas Twinnings on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:44:33 AM PST

•  Making 2012 a year Jimmy Carter could win. (3+ / 0-)
        scribeboy, mdmslle, Losty

Six months ago, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for Obama's 2012 chances.

Now I would.

I still don't think he deserves re-election, but the GOP has taken Congressional stupidity to heights I could not have imagined.

I don't even mind opposition to the payroll tax cut and some other things.  In and of itself, that's a defensible position.
        However, as one brick in a wall of "We refuse to govern and we refuse to contribue and we really don't give a rat's ass what you think?"

Nah.

Governing requires making deals and compromises.  If you do not offer solutions of your own, the resulting deals will look a lot like what the other guys are offering.

It's ok to fight -- if you've got something to fight FOR.  I would really like to see Republicans get off their fat lazy asses and come up with a few useful ideas.  Better still if they're ideas that send Democrats into a tizzy, but...

An economic depression is a terrible time to prefer kvetching over contributing.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:48:56 AM PST

•  #1 the GOP ran out of "good ideas" (2+ / 0-)
          rantsposition, sidnora

on November 4, 2008.

#2 it's arguable that the "good ideas" the GOP would have had were largely voiced and legislated by the dominant establishment wing of the democratic party. So in sick kind of way, the GOP's "good ideas" are getting voice. I mean, really. We need to admit that many of the blue dogs' "ideas" would otherwise be what a rational, not-insane GOP would be offering up. If we HAD a not-insane GOP.

I've become re-radicalized. Thanks a lot you bunch of oligarchical fascist sons-of-bitches. But once again, I have no choice. Bring it the fuck on.

by mdmslle on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:57:06 AM PST

•  sad but true (3+ / 0-)
            rantsposition, cany, mdmslle

between the progressive caucus and the blue dogs, we're playing the role of both parties while the repubs just take their govt checks and sit on their hands.

any other industry and you'd be fired for that shit. if i didn't know better i'd say the strongest union in america is millionaire congressmen.

We keep electing whores to congress, and we wonder why we get screwed while the money flows to their pimps.

by papa monzano on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 08:01:42 AM PST

•  Which is a big part of the problem. (2+ / 0-)
            mdmslle, sidnora

Better Republicans make better Democrats, or, at least, makes them think hard and do a better job.

Nothing like a strong opposition to make you sweat the details.

The current GOP does not count as a strong opposition in any sense other than vote count.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 08:19:05 AM PST

•  well that's the truth. Unfortunately the (0+ / 0-)

running an election against a blakc guy with a funny name brought out the worst element the party's been flirting with for decades.

The election of said black man subsequently caused the entire GOP to lose their minds to pander to the loud, vocal, angry, racist wing of the party. The wing they used to be able to hide and control.

oh well.

I have no idea when sanity will return to the GOP. If ever. They've gone so far off the rails, I'm not sure there's cover for them to come back to sanity. Not now, perhaps not in 2016 even. I'm still not convinced someone like Huntsman could get elected in the GOP in 2016. Maybe 2020?

by mdmslle on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 02:25:43 PM PST

•  Not sure that sanity will ever return to the GOP, (0+ / 0-)

but I have the same reservations about Democrats, so that ain't worth much.

The GOP does seem to have lowered the bar a bit.  If Democrats were a bunch of hooting chimps for much of this century, the GOP seems poised to be howler monkeys.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 03:43:33 PM PST

•  Good comment, but (0+ / 0-)

if we're talking about the actual GOP rather than our fantasy rational GOP has been doing, you're being way too generous. I calculate that they ran out of good ideas sometime in 1997.

by sidnora on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:02:56 PM PST

•  and we'll be doing it again in just two short (0+ / 0-)

months! YAY! Here's hoping they dig in.

Yeah, they probably will.

Good times.

by mdmslle on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:53:21 AM PST

•  My suspicion (0+ / 0-)

is that there will be damn few sober Republicans this week.

by sidnora on Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 07:00:02 PM PST

•  Oh, like sweeping the dirt from someone's (0+ / 0-)

muddy footprints under the rug?

How about we use it to constantly remind people that the republicans are a bunch of crappy House guests?