View Diary: My Little Town 20111228: Telephone Calls (190 comments)

•  I understand what you mean now. (1+ / 0-)
    palantir

The way that you wrote the intro made it sound like a song or something, so I missed your point.

I did not call people rednecks, I said that Hackett was a redneck sort of place.  There is a difference.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 06:39:37 PM PST

•  You Are A Good Soul (2+ / 0-)
      Translator, palantir

I know you don't think that. Not even in the least. But come around where I live and calling somebody a readneak isn''t cool.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 06:46:47 PM PST

•  I understand. If you can help (3+ / 0-)
        palantir, klingman, WI Deadhead

me come up with another term that conveys a similar meaning without being perceived as derogatory, I shall be happy to consider it.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:01:01 PM PST

•  I Don't Know What You Should (2+ / 0-)
          Translator, palantir

use but I dislike the phrase redneck. I mean I really hate it.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:18:05 PM PST

•  a lot of us out here don't mind so much (7+ / 0-)

it's what we often call ourselves and aren't offended much when others use it. And yes, my neck is red because I'm often outside from can't see to can't see (dark to dark) and the sun is very bright at a mile in elevation and my face and every exposed skin is pretty red.

What drives me nuts is trailer trash or white trash. No one is trash and a lot of nice but not rich middle class folks live in trailers.

"Slip now and you'll fall the rest of your life" Derek Hersey 1957-1993

by ban nock on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:28:04 PM PST

•  I Don't Like The Phrase (1+ / 0-)
              Translator

if you tell me I am wrong and I can admit that. I just hate the phrase.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:31:52 PM PST

•  I looked up the term, (4+ / 0-)
              bythesea, dhcallahan, G2geek, WI Deadhead

and its meaning is very subjective.  It is also used both as a derogatory term and as a term of pride, so I guess the real meaning is sort of in the eye of the beholder.  If I can come up with a term that describes the nature of my little town as well as that one does, I shall use it, but just can not think of one.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:32:19 PM PST

•  That Is Totally Accurate. (2+ / 0-)
                Translator, WI Deadhead

Personally I find it offensive.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:34:50 PM PST

•  I used to find the N-word totally offensive.... (4+ / 0-)
                  ban nock, figbash, Translator, WI Deadhead

.... until I started working in the recording studio with local (Oakland CA area) rap artists (black and latino), who used it freely.

In rap / hip-hop culture it's spelled and pronounced "nigga" and is used as a term of solidarity within the community.

Now this is also something that one has to be very very careful with.  Black rap artists greet each other and their black friends with language such as "How's my nigga doin?" and if they greet a white friend that way it's almost a high honor, as in, being adopted into the community.

But white folks should never assume they can use that language freely, and if they do they're likely to get scolded and humiliated for it, as in "what's wrong with you?"  (No, I never made that mistake.)  Instead, it's safe to stick with something that has roots in the white alternative music scene, such as punk rock, for example,  "Yo dude, what'up?"

Same with "redneck."  It's OK for rednecks to say "redneck," but I'd say it's definitely not-OK for city folks to use the word unless they've gotten the OK from friends who have "standing" to use it.

Methinks Translator has more than enough standing to use the word (rural Alabama if I'm not mistaken).

And any phrase including the word "trash" should only be used in the first-person, as in "yeah we're trailer trash" with a sarcastic smile.   Otherwise it's right out, in the same sense as the N-word spelled & pronounced with the "-er" ending.

"Minus one vote for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 01:10:46 AM PST

•  My maternal ancestors were from (0+ / 0-)

Alabama, but I always explicitly say that I grew up in Arkansas.  There is quite a bit of difference, because the part of Arkansas in which I developed was not in the Delta, and most of the folks there were poor.  There were no plantations like in the flatlands to the east.

I shall find a less offensive term to describe My Little Town, but it will probably be 2012 before I can come up with one.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 05:44:59 PM PST

•  What about "down home"? (1+ / 0-)
                Translator

As in, "My little town was a down-home kind of place."

To me, "down home" has a distinct meaning:  it means a place where everything is basic, people are without pretensions, fancy accents, McMansions, or whatever.  You just take them as you find them.

Don't know if that works for you, but thought I'd offer it.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."--Napoleon

by Diana in NoVa on Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 05:41:24 PM PST

•  I appreciate the suggestion, (0+ / 0-)

but that does not at all describe the intolerance of the people who populated My Little Town.  If you were white and got overtly gay acting, you were pretty much OK.  Otherwise, not so much.

Here is an example.  When I started going to high school at the Catholic school in Fort Smith, I like all of other kids got a candy quota to sell as a fundraiser for our class.  I did my sales pitch on a person who could be described as nothing but the nice little old lady.  She declined to buy any, I figured that she was short on money.

She later told my grandmum that she would have bought a bar from me, but since that money was going to go to the heathen Pope, she just could not.  I am still looking for a better term, but so far the one that I have used seems to fit best.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 05:54:27 PM PST

•  A lot of us live in Redneck places (1+ / 0-)
            Translator

and don't mind that term at all.  Living in communities where the population is not highly educated causes a certain mind-set (usually conservative, but not always.) I am not a Redneck due to being more educated than the general population of my small town, but I am a Redneck because I have adopted some of the general characteristics of country folk.

This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top....Lula

by anninla on Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 06:23:37 AM PST

•  I really regret that (1+ / 0-)
              anninla

my description of My Little Town has caused so much strife.  I am looking for a better term, but have not come up with one yet.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 05:55:35 PM PST

•  Don't worry about it (1+ / 0-)
                Translator

What is offensive to one may not be offensive to others. On this site, in particular, it is impossible to write a diary without offending someone. I thoroughly enjoyed your diary and hope you write others in this vein.

This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top....Lula

by anninla on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 05:52:12 AM PST

•  I very much appreciate your thoughts. (0+ / 0-)

It is just that webranding has  been a friend for so many years that I take his concerns to heart.  If he were just some casual commenter here, I would not give it a second thought.

Warmest regards,

Doc

I do not believe in anything.

by Translator on Sat Dec 31, 2011 at 03:50:22 AM PST

•  I am originally from Tennessee (4+ / 0-)

and many in my family would describe themselves as such and would use it as an adjective to describe certain places in a non-derogatory sense.  Redneck is not at all equivalent to the n word and is often proudly used by people to describe themselves and places they go.  It is fine if you don't like it, but don't build it into something it really isn't for most of the people who might be called that.