View Diary: Rick Perry: Affordable Care Act has to go because a random person says it will kill her (102 comments)

•  they have both (I believe) (18+ / 0-)

said they do have a workable replacement...Medicare for all. and you tone is insulting at best, trollish at worst.

"I took a walk around the world, To ease my troubled mind. I left my body laying somewhere In the sands of time" Kryptonite 3 doors Down

by farmerchuck on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 10:31:28 AM PST

•  Workable? (2+ / 0-)
      askew, mallyroyal

And that gets through Congress...how?

Fat, stupid and Republican is no way to go through life, son.

by GOPGO2H3LL on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 11:39:39 AM PST

•  This is spinning off-topic. Mallyroyal claimed (2+ / 0-)
        Danali, farmerchuck

that those two (at least) wanted the ACA repealed.  S/He has not produced any links or quotes substantiating that assertion.  There was no assertion that what they wanted was able to get through Congress; just the assertion that they wanted to do away with the ACA.

Farmerchuck said that their alternative to the ACA is to have Medicare for all and that it's a workable solution.  Workable to me means that it's something that can provide healthcare for everyone with a minimum of problems.  Since it's a working system, with known rules and existing procedures, I'll accept that it's workable.  Politically doable given the makeup of Congress?  Not at this time, nor was it at the point where the ACA was being cobbled together.  I agree that it would be better and simpler than ACA, since it would be a much better starting point for the inevitable tweaks.

IMHO, it's workable.  That satisfies Farmerchuck.  That it is not leaving the country without healthcare, as mallyroyal indicated, is a refutation of his/her attack on the point of view of nyceve and slinkerwink.

•  its personal with this one... (3+ / 0-)
      Danali, Shahryar, farmerchuck

she doesn't like slinkerwink and nyceve because they dared to criticize the President.

Its as simple as that.

•  Sorry, but "Medicare for all"... (1+ / 0-)
      mallyroyal

...isn't a workable replacement unless someone can also propose a viable political path by which it gets implemented.  Unfortunately, that viable path doesn't seem to exist.

Yes, I would love to see "Medicare for all" or something similar in the line of a public option for healthcare.  Unfortunately, our choice isn't between the ACA as it currently exists and "Medicare for all" -- instead, the choice that exists is between the ACA and, well, nothing.  (I discount the Republican proposals, which are generally worse than doing nothing would be because they're as unlikely to pass as is "Medicare for all".)

Could the president and the Democratic leadership have done more to fight for "Medicare for all"?  Quite possibly.  Could they have gotten it to pass?  With the filibuster in place, complete Republican opposition, and "allies" like Ben Nelson and Joe Lieberman, I'm far from confident.  But that's essentially irrelevant, anyway...because whatever choices may have existed in 2010 certainly don't exist today.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 12:57:20 PM PST

•  If we get Medicare for all, I sure hope there (0+ / 0-)

are some MAJOR changes to the way the current program works.
        I pay monthly, $96 and some change for Medicare and well over $300/month for a supplemental policy to get good coverage.

Medicare for all in its present state is a long way from universal health care.

I would love to see universal health care, but I sure hope they name it something different than Medicare, and with much better coverage.

Mother Teresa: "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

by Amber6541 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 01:22:13 PM PST

•  I'd like improvements also (2+ / 0-)
          ER Doc, kareylou

but as one of the 50+ million  uninsured, and being uninsurable thanks to a combination of Lyme and Cancer, I'd sure rather have Medicare in it's present incarnation than rely on diagnosing and performing minor procedures on myself, or depending on high school graduate who has read a health insurance company internal guide book determining my treatment options.

by farmerchuck on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 04:05:53 PM PST

•  that wasn't the statement (0+ / 0-)

and as someone who doesn't expect to ever see ACA implemented as anything more than a giveaway to insurance companies in the name of political expediency and bipartisan compromise, I could give a shit about political viability. We already went down that road, and it's a dead end.

by farmerchuck on Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 04:09:04 PM PST