View Diary: Boxer Pummels Nuclear Regulatory Coup Plotters & Republicans (51 comments)

•  This is news? (0+ / 0-)

That hearing was half a month ago.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -- Albert Einstein

by bryfry on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 09:22:37 AM PST

•  The backstory on Bill Magwood (11+ / 0-)

illuminates the actions in the hearing. The HuffPo piece is solid investigative journalism worthy of analysis and discussion here.

Yes, the incestuous relationships between the nuclear industry, the Republican party and the USNRC are news.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 09:31:56 AM PST

•  Then the title is somewhat misleading (0+ / 0-)

since it focuses on Boxer's statements, which were made half a month ago.

But if you're so keen to focus on old news, do you plan to update your diaries about claims of criticalities at Fukushima-1, which turned out to be complete bullshit?

Just wondering.

-- Albert Einstein

by bryfry on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 05:37:02 PM PST

•  I'm still waiting for conclusive data from TEPCO (0+ / 0-)

Reported data useful for determining criticality has been very limited. Yes, the last diary to discuss criticality would benefit from updating as information that came out later showed very low levels of noble gas isotopes not indicative of criticality.

The failure of TEPCO to monitor and report noble gas data is an issue you might write a diary on. How do you justify TEPCO's poor monitoring and reporting?

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 08:18:10 PM PST

•  You want to talk about failures?! (0+ / 0-)

I don't know for sure, since I am not on site and not available to report first-hand. Nevertheless, from everything that I have read from all sources that I have been able to get my hand on, TEPCO simply did not have access to the regions where the samples were taken before then.

Since you're not an engineer, perhaps you don't realize that engineers do not have omniscient powers. They're not Mr. Spock on StarTrek, who can wave a tricorder in front of the camera and, within seconds, discover everything that is going on inside an important plot device.

In the real world, the situation was that the Japanese technicians were finally able to get into an enclosed space, near the reactor core, to take measurements, and their first readings indicated the presence of xenon gas. This caused them to be concerned, and I don't blame them. In my opinion, this was the most credible evidence, by far, that a recriticality had occurred at the site. However, more sober analysis and quantification of the amount of xenon present, which followed within a day or two, clearly indicated that the amounts were within the range to be expected from spontaneous fission, a well-known phenomenon that has nothing to do with a sustained nuclear chain reaction.

Frankly, I can find very little to fault TEPCO for. They reported their measurements soon after they took them -- in fact, too soon it appears, since these results would have better been held until even a cursory analysis could be performed.

It's the Chicken Littles like you and your poor reporting -- and even worse poor followup -- that I have a problem with. You don't do this community any service by publishing the nonsense that you do, which you unapologetically fail to correct when you are absolutely, completely, fucking wrong.

If I'm going to take the time to publish a diary, then I'm going to publish a diary about that. Nevertheless, thanks for the advice.

-- Albert Einstein

by bryfry on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 09:08:01 PM PST

•  The corruption is ongoing, however. (4+ / 0-)
      Sandino, FishOutofWater, Joieau, Andhakari

There's this continuity between past, present and future, which people with an income stream from the nuke industry seem unable to digest. Seems they think no one thing is connected to any other thing, when that stream might be threatened.

"Whatever you do, don't mention The War." Basil Fawlty, while mentally impaired.

by Jim P on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 09:34:38 AM PST

•  Thanks for your concern (0+ / 0-)

and your insightful comment.

•  And if you knew the backstory I suppose you (0+ / 0-)

could have shared it.

Right?

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them.

by cany on Fri Dec 30, 2011 at 11:21:51 AM PST