View Diary: Call centers: The sweatshop of the modern era (132 comments)

•  I find this stuff very difficult to understand. (27+ / 0-)

How can you run a company without happy and secure employees?

I have a very small business and I'm not close to being rich. My debts exceed my assets.

And yet I pay my secretary more than $75,000 a year, plus really good benefits, including unlimited sick leave during a time where she has a fatal illness.

This is hurting me in the short-term, but I hope to get some credit in the afterlife.  But that's not why I'm doing what I'm doing...I'm doing it because it is simply the right thing to do.

"Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow." -- last words of Steve Jobs.

by Timaeus on Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 06:17:27 PM PST

•  Wow - (15+ / 0-)
      I'm doing it because it is simply the right thing to do.

I wish more people were like you.

"Republicans only care about the rich" - My late Father (-8.25, -7.85)

by Mark E Andersen on Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 06:20:54 PM PST

•  How you can run a company (16+ / 0-)

without happy and secure employees:

1.  Have jobs that, in your view, anybody can learn to do in a relatively short amount of time.
      2.  Have a desperate work force that's looking for any shit job with shit pay so they can scrape by.

27, white male, TX-26 (current), TN-07 (originally), liberal-leaning independent

by TDDVandy on Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 06:22:07 PM PST

•  Look at it this way. (5+ / 0-)
      sawgrass727, revsue, ozsea1, Matt Z, JVolvo

The world of business is a lot like the world of nature.  There is no one path to success for every species (of plant/animal or business).  Survival of the fittest is the name of the game both in nature and in business, but "fit" does not mean the same thing for every species.  Everyone kind of has their niche and as gaps are formed, some new company comes along to fill that gap.

But at their core, in nature as in business, survival is given to the entities that can adapt to changing environment and exploit that environment.

If you can maintain a business with a $75,000/year secretary then good for you.  Some businesses who follow the "Doing well by doing good" ethos do very well.  But it's all about what your corporate priorities are and the evironment you live in.  Many companies do not see beyond the short term gain or do not exist in an environment that would allow for such generosity.

Many could definately afford to be more generous, but are not in pursuit of "growth".  Especially in REALLY large publicly traded companies, it's not enough to pull in a profit, you have to pull in MORE profit than the quarter or year before or you're considered a failure.  So they're constantly chasing that "growth", often in ways that ultimately undermine their customer base.

We are seeing this now with the Banking industry loading customers with exploitive fees or even in industries that provide products from clothing and shoes to cellphones and electronics.  Gone are the days when large corporations paid their employees enough to afford their products or services.  Those jobs have all been shipped overseas for a fraction of the cost to people who couldn't possibly afford to buy what they make.

And THAT is part of the problem we have in this country.

I started a blog. It's still a work in progress but if you're interested, come on by. Dawn of Ambivalence

by DawnG on Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 07:40:32 PM PST

•  Hmmmm.... (1+ / 0-)
      JVolvo
      How can you run a company without happy and secure employees?

Because companys don't care about the employees, only that they work, work, work.
      The employee doesn't like it, then they can leave.  It's the crappy company's mantra to an unhappy employee.
      It's a bad economy and companys know they can always get employees.  And about the treatment of the employee? - the companys have huge legal teams who make sure of all the employment laws and follow them within a very fine line of almost illegality.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 05:14:31 AM PST

•  I think the bigger question is (2+ / 0-)
      Mark E Andersen, Timaeus

why would you want to?

How can you run a company without happy and secure employees?

What kind of sick sociopath makes a decision to treat people like slaves?

And why is is socially acceptable?

Rule of thumb: If it's advertised on TV, you probably shouldn't buy it.

by VictorLaszlo on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:27:03 PM PST