View Diary: Thank President Obama for his bold recess appointment (291 comments)

•  No. I'm not going to thank him for (4+ / 0-)

a no-brainer with results that are at-best unpredictable.

If--and that's a big "if"--this leads to anything substantive I might reconsider.

•  Of course you wouldn't. But that says more about (26+ / 0-)

your attitude than it does about the difficult job this President faces 24/7 and his need for our support.

•  It shouldn't be an uphill battle on no-brainer (6+ / 0-)

red meat Democratic issues.  And it is a ridiculously hard continual battle with Obama.

NOW SHOWING
        Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
        Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 09:20:08 AM PST

•  It shouldn't be, but it is. (7+ / 0-)

And it makes sense to try to make our lesser evil President just a little less evil still.

I hate the fact that this is the best we can do, but it really is.

With any luck, Obama will be pissing us off for another four years to come.

Tunis...Cairo...Tripoli...Wall Street

by GreenSooner on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 09:28:40 AM PST

•  I dunno. I'm of a mind that (0+ / 0-)

the system just needs to break.  Without Obama's "liberal" veneer quieting so many on the Left, the nation might get it's fight back to recover the American Dream.

NOW SHOWING
            Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
            Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 09:37:47 AM PST

•  every hear of the perfect being the enemy of (2+ / 0-)
              Diogenes2008, fcvaguy

good?
              how bad exactly do you need things to get, to make all those deluded people come over to your way of thinking?  worst economy in 80 years didn't make it.
              worst congress in 150 years didn't make it.  Dang, I know total economic collapse because of global warming! there's the ticket!

•  Yes, we get to see that cliche line... (1+ / 0-)
                The Dead Man

...posted every single time anyone has a problem with anything Obama does.  It's one of the ubersupporters' favorite rhetorical attacks against anyone who refuses to shut up and believe Obama's the best president ever.

•  Thats the problem (0+ / 0-)

Some of you have a problem with EVERYTHING Obama does, including yourself since you rec'ced up that ridiculous comment criticizing him for these appointments.

•  I know you need me to have a problem... (0+ / 0-)

...with everything Obama does because it makes it easier for you to just dismiss any complaint anyone has about Obama than to actually address the complaint itself.  It doesn't make it true; I don't have a problem with everything he does. I'm glad your delusion that I do makes you feel good because it certainly doesn't do anything else.

•  I'm delusional??? (0+ / 0-)

Well, its possible. My mom passed from Alzheimer's, so I'm constantly on the lookout.

But, let's see.....

No. I'm not going to thank him for a no-brainer with results that are at-best unpredictable.

Recommended by:Ray Pensador, PhilK, The Dead Man, vacantlook

Yep. You certainly did rec that stupendously ridculous comment which only serves one person - to diminish the President's accomplishment at every turn.

Own your own actions. Oh, and lay off the personal attacks.

•  Given that Obama is doing shit-all about climate (0+ / 0-)

change, and with his approval of the XL pipeline in 2013 will make it worse, that's already going to come to pass.

NOW SHOWING
                Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
                Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 01:21:04 PM PST

•  Great Idea (2+ / 0-)
              Diogenes2008, TomP

Let's break the system.
              Let's abandon Obama in search of a more pure left ideal.
              Let's watch Romney/Bachman win in 2012.
              Let's watch the Senate turn Red.

When CFPB, ACA and Bush tax rates all go against us we will have even more reasons to ... break the system some more?

•  It's not a search for a "more pure left ideal" (0+ / 0-)

it's about returning to the basics of a nation that values fairness.

That status quo isn't going to deliver any hope and change.

NOW SHOWING
                Progressive Candidate Obama (now - Nov 6, 2012)
                Bipartisan Obama returns (Nov 7, 2012)

by The Dead Man on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 01:18:15 PM PST

•  I think that 2001-2009 is great evidence... (3+ / 0-)
              Kinak, TomP, AZ RedWingsFan

...that this strategy doesn't work.

Making things worse just makes things work.

It is important to realize that electoral politics gives us a serverely limited series of choices and that non-electoral efforts are a key part of making things better.

But, when facing those bad electoral choices, the less bad alternative is always better than the more bad alternative.

Tunis...Cairo...Tripoli...Wall Street

by GreenSooner on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 10:30:26 AM PST

•  You said that well. Best case scenario seems to (1+ / 0-)
            GreenSooner

be another 4 years of disappointment.

•  That's your conclusion with the news about the (2+ / 0-)
              gramofsam1, hooper

recess appointment?  You will probably be disappointed indefinitely but that isn't so much about the President.

•  My conclusion about the recess appointment... (0+ / 0-)

...is that it's a small step forward that, like all steps forward, deserves praise.

My conclusion about the Obama Administration (so far) is that they haven't stood up to Wall Street and, given where their money is form and who is on their economic team, never will.  But they are more likely to follow policies that will somewhat limit Wall Street's riskiest behavior than the GOP would.

The sane billionaires remain better than the insane billionaires.

But when we stop being disapointed in being ruled by the sane billionaires, we've given up on the 99%.

Tunis...Cairo...Tripoli...Wall Street

by GreenSooner on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 10:36:51 AM PST

•  I am part of the 99% and it isn't (0+ / 0-)

some abstract entity that can be spoken for any more than the GOP speak for the "American people" as I have so often been told.  I don't share your unenthusiastic view of the President, on the contrary.  I think he has been and will continue to speak for the everyday person more so than any politician I know of.  I want to help make it easier for him to make progress.

•  I simply disagree with you about the President (0+ / 0-)

You should get to know some politicians like Bernie Sanders and Barbara Lee.

I want to help make it easier for him to make progress.

I want to make it harder for him to focus on austerity and budget hawkery and force him to focus instead on the needs of average Americans.

I think this recess appointment is one, small sign that those of us trying to do so--and willing to talk of the 99%--have had a good few months.  I hope we all keep up the pressure on him. He needs our votes.

Tunis...Cairo...Tripoli...Wall Street

by GreenSooner on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 11:26:02 AM PST

•  I see OWS as a way of working in unison with the (0+ / 0-)

President.  He has needed our support and hasn't gotten much of it, IMHO.  Though I thoroughly appreciate Bernie Sanders, Barbara Lee, Elizabeth Warren, Nancy Pelosi and so many other political figures, I still think the President is the champion I would most like to see leading our country to fight for all of us.

I listened to Nouriel Roubini talk about the importance of reducing the deficit as well as stimulating the economy for the overall health of our country.  I don't think the President is focusing on austerity or budget hawkery but doing some very important evaluations of where the waste and fraud are occurring.  The GOP on the other hand is guilty of what you describe and then some.

•  The lesser evil part is just what you say. I am (4+ / 0-)
            gramofsam1, hooper, askew, fcvaguy

constantly amazed at the refusal to allow any acknowledgement of the President' accomplishments.  Its glaringly obvious on this diary topic in particular.

•  It's a good litmus test, this diary & its comments (3+ / 0-)
              Diogenes2008, askew, fcvaguy

The President does something really good, and we get to see who just can't restrain themselves from trashing him or minimizing the accomplishment.

•  The President did something good. (0+ / 0-)

He deserves praise for what he did.  I sent an e-mail praising him.

The diary substantially overstates the boldness of this move, however.  And that deserves to be criticized.

When your team wins a regular season game, you should cheer. But you shouldn't pretend it's the Super Bowl.

(And my team, to be clear, is the American people, not the Obama Administration.)

Tunis...Cairo...Tripoli...Wall Street

by GreenSooner on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 10:39:59 AM PST

•  I just called my GOP senators and even my GOP (0+ / 0-)

rep. to express my appreciation for this appointment. Senator Lugar's office (IN) said that " this will be dealt with" when they return.  This is to a constituent that is calling to approve of the appointment.  By the way, even though I am always polite and moderated I have been hung up on four times by my GOP rep and also lost count how many times I've been marginalized by the statement that whatever I am calling to object to (like debt ceiling drama) is what the American people want.  I have to keep telling them that I am an American person.

And you just don't think this warrants any particular notice because its not the Super Bowl of decisions.  With friends like you the President sure has a rougher road than he needs to.  For my part I don't think you get what we are all up against out here.

•  Huh? (0+ / 0-)

Where the heck do you get that? As I said, I e-mailed the President praising this decision. That's appropriate notice.

Calling GOP members of the Senate seems perfectly appropriate to me too, fwiw.

What I don't think it deserves is overpraise, which does the President's supporters, the President, and the American people no favors.

Obviously for some of the President's supporters, nothing but utterly unqualified support is ever good enough.  Save your hippie punching for someone else.  I don't much like this President, but I'm well aware that he's the best we'll do this year and he has my vote (again).

And I'm happy to praise him when he does the right thing (as I did today).

However, I consider keeping a critical edge to my support of politicians for whom I vote part of being an engaged citizen.

And I fully understand both what Obama is up against and what we, the American people, are. And they are not entirely the same thing.

Tunis...Cairo...Tripoli...Wall Street

by GreenSooner on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 11:19:04 AM PST

•  I don't punch anyone, and hippie punching doesn't (0+ / 0-)

connect with anything remotely related to the discussion we are trying to have, in my opinion.

You basically said it was no big deal and no one should "overpraise" the President.  I am just saying he can't win with folks like yourself and its a shame.

•  It's not a no-brainer at all since the Senate is (8+ / 0-)

not technically in recess. In fact I was shocked Obama did this since it will guarantee that serious talk of impeachment will now happen. I'd love to see him recess appoint all the nominees the obstructionists traitors in the Senate are blocking. He needs to send a message to these whiners that they need to start doing their job.

"As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free"

by Tim D M on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 09:29:24 AM PST