View Diary: Dallas girl missing since 2010 was "mistakenly" deported (284 comments)

•  If you want to pretend (1+ / 0-)
    PatriciaVa

that Obama's deportations of latinos will have no effect on the vote in November you are welcome to that opinion.  But, you're wrong.

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 09:36:02 PM PST

•  No-one's pretending (0+ / 0-)

I asked a question. I'm not convinced you answered it. Of course many people are concerned about what they view as unwarranted deportations, but you haven't established that those constitute economics for Latino citizens of the US. I guess what you meant (but didn't say in any way I understood) is that you think immigration policy is as important for Latino citizens of the US as economics. In which case, I'd ask you to please provide polling data or some other non-anecdotal evidence to back up your claim.

And to your implication that Latinos will vote against Obama or stay home in droves, I do think that's extremely unlikely. If the president loses the election, it will be because the economy stopped recovering and went into another recession.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Wed Jan 04, 2012 at 10:39:46 PM PST

•  As I noted in my other response to you (2+ / 0-)
        slouchsock, PatriciaVa

a lot of latinos have family who are undocumented.  That could mean aunts or uncles, or even parents.  If your aunt or uncle or parent got deported because of Obama's policies I imagine you would be less likely to vote for him.

The reasons that immigration policy is tied to economics for a large number of latinos is that economics is tthe reason that so many people immigrate here.  Certainly not all, or even most, latinos are recent immigrants, but there are enough who have friends and family who are that these deportations will affect their ability to make ends meet.  People immigrate, in the majority of cases, for economic reasons, not just because the US is a funner place to live.

I definitely don't think latinos will vote against Obama, but it is entirely possible that they won't care enough to go out and vote.

by AoT on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 05:00:28 AM PST

•  We'll see who's right (0+ / 0-)

in November.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 09:32:53 AM PST

•  So your hypothesis is that actual policies (1+ / 0-)
            YucatanMan

have no effect on approval ratings and turn out?

Or just that Latinos don't actually care about immigration issues.

by AoT on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 09:52:53 AM PST

•  Neither (0+ / 0-)

I simply follow opinion polls. It's good to base opinions on likely voter behavior on data.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 02:24:53 PM PST

•  Wait, I'm confused now. (0+ / 0-)

What are you saying?  This darn thread went on too long.

by AoT on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 03:24:04 PM PST

•  Here's what I'm saying (0+ / 0-)

I haven't seen any evidence from opinion polls that President Obama has a problem with support from Latinos. So while I'm sure many Latinos are very interested in immigration policies, many of them either are not troubled by President Obama's immigration policies or consider other factors more important.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 03:36:45 PM PST

•  His numbers are dropping among (0+ / 0-)

Latinos.  Do you have links to polls that ask about the specific issues?

by AoT on Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 03:46:52 PM PST