View Diary: Do Not Read This! Seriously. (53 comments)

•  Do Christians or Jews kill you if... (0+ / 0-)

... you put up a picture of Jesus or Moses?  No.

Do most Muslims?  No.

But there is one religion where if you do put up pictures of their imaginary friend, recent history has shown us, you might end up dead.

Yes, Christianity and Judaism have their violent nuts too, it's just that Islam has so many millions more who incorporate Jihad into their "faith" than the other blockbuster religions.

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 02:53:28 PM PST

•  I don't know if I'd agree with that. (1+ / 0-)
      skohayes

Every religion has their violent nuts, period. The more people following the religion, the more violent nuts there are. Since Islam is one of the largest religions in the world, it would be logical that they'd have more violent nuts than other religions. However, I doubt their ratio of violent nuts to "normal" believers is any greater than any other religion. : /

"A man chooses, a slave obeys." "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan - Bioshock

by Valdearg on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 02:59:36 PM PST

•  WRONG - Islam has more violent nuts (0+ / 0-)

Christianity might have more nuts, I don't know.  But they lose the contest of who has the most suicide bombers.

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:03:41 PM PST

•  So in one comment you write.... (1+ / 0-)
          skohayes

...that you "didn't single out Islam," and not fifteen minutes later, you're pretty blatantly singling out Islam as uniquely violent.

So which is it?

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:09:09 PM PST

•  All Abrahamic "faiths" are inherently violent... (0+ / 0-)

And I was pretty much of an equal opportunity discrimator in my piece.  That said, I did add that the "religion of peace" would show it's true colors over something as harmless and the mass distribution of a picture and where it was placed.  I think that Islam has earned one extra mention - so I suppose you are not all wrong your criticism.  That said, you seem to miss the larger point entirely.

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:15:41 PM PST

•  No, you weren't "equal opportunity" at all. (1+ / 0-)
              skohayes

For Christianity, the level of "offensive" in what you wanted to do was about 2 out of 10.

For Judaism, maybe a 3. Maybe.

For Islam, you were at 9 even before the FreeRepublic "religion of peace" line.

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:20:07 PM PST

•  Are you sure, or... (0+ / 0-)

... is it just that we all know that the "religion of peace" is more easily offended than other mainstream religions?

A lot of people were offended that a mosque (an Islamic community center with a mosque in it to be more precise) was going to be built just around the corner from Ground Zero.  But no car bombs went off.  I personally feel that Muslims have the right to build a mosque wherever they want if they own the land.

But what happened when that nut in Florida burned the Koran?  How did certain angry Muslims respond?  With a letter to the editor or by killing UN workers?

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:26:46 PM PST

•  So that makes it okay to gratuitously offend them? (1+ / 0-)
                  skohayes

The people behind the Cordoba House project in New York City weren't building it with the express and sole purpose of insulting and offending people of other religions. They had a higher purpose, and those who were offended by something that innocuous had only themselves to blame for being bigots.

When Terry Jones burned the Qu'Ran, he did so with the express and sole purpose of insulting and offending Muslims.

When you know a person or group takes deep offense at an act that has no higher purpose or any purpose aside from offending people—such as burning a Qu'Ran in a ceremony or painting an insulting image of Mohammed—then isn't going forward with that act anyway, for no purpose other than to offend them, an act of gratuitous disrespect?

While I don't disagree that those who reacted violently to the Qu'Ran burning are the only people responsible for their violent reaction to an offensive act, that does not make the act itself any less gratuitously offensive, nor the people who undertake such an act for no purpose other than to insult and disrespect their fellow human beings any less assholes or bigots for doing it. Muslims were right to be offended by Jones's bigotry, hatred, and disrespect for their humanity; the wrong some Muslims committed in that situation took place in their reactions, not in the fact that they felt insulted.

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:40:11 PM PST

•  I take great offence at being taught as a child... (0+ / 0-)

... that if I did not believe in Jesus I would go to hell.

Spend some time on YouTube and find the COUNTLESS videos of Islamic clerics calling for the death of all infidels.  Check it out.  Are you not offended?

And even if you are offended, you are not a barbarian are you?  You won't go out and commit and act of physical violence over it, right?

Are you still not seeing the glaring double standard here?

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:45:02 PM PST

•  "Barbarian"? Really? You're going there? (4+ / 0-)

I'm done with this.

Your blatant bigotry against Islam in this diary puts the lie to your pretenses in previous diaries to "enlightenment," and if nothing else, I'm glad that's been brought out into the light.

Have a good evening.

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:48:29 PM PST

•  Is killing an innocent person... (0+ / 0-)

... because someone on the other side of the planet burned your favorite book NOT barbaric?  If not barbaric, what is it then?

And I am a "bigot" for refusing to put on blinders and instead making a simple statement of fact?

Is killing the filmmaker Theo Van Gough because he made a film about Islam NOT barbaric?  If not barbaric, what is it then?

Is issuing a Fatwa against an author or committing acts of terrorism because of cartoons NOT barbaric?  If not barbaric, what is it then?

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell