View Diary: Do Not Read This! Seriously. (53 comments)

•  I study right-wing Christianity for a living... (2+ / 0-)
    Prof Haley, skohayes

...and I can't think of a single right-wing Christian figure, including John Hagee himself, who would find it "obscenely offensive" for Hagee to be paid to sell cat food on TV. A little humiliating? Sure. Pissing-on-Mohammed offensive? Nowhere close.

Turning Vatican City into an amusement park? Sure, it's a thumb in the eye, if by "thumb" you mean "a rather pedestrian and unfunny attempt at schoolboy humor," but "obscenely offensive"? Not really.

I don't disagree with your opinion that the response by ultra-conservative Muslims to the Mohammed cartoons was way the hell over the top; however, that doesn't change the fact that desecrating the image of Mohammed is "obscenely offensive" on a level that's several orders of magnitude greater than the diarist's writings about other religions. And the "religion of peace" bit could have been lifted verbatim from Pamela Gellar's website.

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:03:26 PM PST

•  I don't like Pamela Geller... (0+ / 0-)

... and I don't read her site.

Hitler was a lightweight compared to the damage Mohammed has done.  If this hurts somebody's feelings that is their business.

Pamela Geller is mean-spirited and opportunistic.  But she is not 100% wrong all of the time.  Same goes for things said by Robert Spender or by C.A.I.R. for that matter.

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:06:38 PM PST

•  Of course. If you offend someone else... (1+ / 0-)
        skohayes

...it's their fault for being offended, rather than your fault for intentionally saying things that you know to be offensive to them.

If whatever religious or spiritual beliefs, or lack of belief, to which you adhere suggest that it's an acceptable practice to intentionally disrespect the things other people hold dear for no reason other than to gratuitously offend them, I'd suggest that it's your beliefs—not theirs—that need changing.

by JamesGG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:12:18 PM PST

•  Damn it.. (1+ / 0-)
        skohayes

I initially defend you regarding your insults against Islam, but then you go and say that "Hitler was a lightweight compared to the damage Mohammed has done. "

You could have said "religion", you could have said "fairy tails", hell, you could have said "Jesus and Mohammed", and I wouldn't have batted an eye. But you had to go and say that. Now, I'm not sure you aren't unfairly targeting Islam over other religions.

EVERY Religion deserves ridicule and criticism. Singling out one over the others is not in the best interests of anybody.

"A man chooses, a slave obeys." "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan - Bioshock

by Valdearg on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:32:08 PM PST

•  How many slaves did Jesus own? I'm no fan but... (0+ / 0-)

... How many people did Jesus kill, personally?

How many people did Jesus have tortured, personally?

How many people did Jesus personally order to be stoned to death?

How many children did Jesus marry?

So although much violence has been done in Jesus name (wasn't the first slave ship leaving Africa called "The Good Ship Jesus?) and I'm not sure such a historical person even existed, Mohammed did exist and did kill people and advocate killing infidels and left behind a legacy that is very must still being carried out today.

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell

by EricAllenBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:36:29 PM PST

•  Read his comment history (0+ / 0-)

He is a blatant Islamaphobe.

You will never know what it’s like to work on a farm until your hands are raw, just so people can have fresh marijuana. Jack Handey

by skohayes on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 04:48:49 PM PST

•  Islamaphobia = irrational fear of Islam (1+ / 0-)
            Bette Kibble

I think you are misusing that term "Islamaphobe" to describe me.

I don't fear Islam and my concerns about it are very rational.  I have criticized the Evangelical movement much  more often, if you really want to perform some kind of an audit of my comment history.

One can be critical of something without being a bigot.  It's called critical thinking.

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK at - www.Facebook.com/EricAllenBell