View Diary: Rahm Caught Red Handed By State Officials (239 comments)

•  As noted above, national party and Chicago machine (13+ / 0-)

both heart Rahm.  Machine had nothing to do w/ his getting key positions in WJC and Obama WH's, nor did it have anything to do w/ his rapid rise in House Dem Caucus.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 12:50:35 PM PST

•  I was only talking about his getting the (1+ / 0-)
      James Kresnik

nod to be mayor of Chicago.  However, I would think it completely unbelievable that his nod to run for Congress was not also blessed by the local Democratic machine as well.

In any case, it is pretty normal for that particular machine to predetermine their candidates well before anyone of the lowly voter class even knows whats going on.

Another reason why the "Obama as outsider" storyline in 2007/2008 was basically just unbelievable for me.

•  National party has morphed into (6+ / 0-)

an extension of the Chicago machine.

Here in Ohio, we have plenty of political carpetbaggers moving in from Chicago who worked for Obama, Rahm or Daley.   They're constantly trying to worm their way into cushy, influential public sector jobs in Ohio Dem party at the state, regional and local level.

Some Dem mayors and commissioners have apparently been pressured  into hiring them.  Some have been found to be very corrupt and were quickly dispatched out of state.  Our local GOP controlled media has been aware of the activity and have used these scumbags to attack local Dem officeholders who hire them.

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one."

by Betty Pinson on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 02:22:29 PM PST

•  Um no. (3+ / 0-)

Washington still has nothing on the Chicago machine, dear.

"No, I'm being judged against the ideal. Joe Biden has a saying: 'Don't judge me against the Almighty, judge me against the alternative." --President Barack Obama, 12/11/11

by smoothnmellow on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 02:28:27 PM PST

•  Somewhat true (4+ / 0-)

They're still novices compared to Chicago.  But they are now an extension of it.  The Chicago machine controls the DNC now, they have been since the day they tossed out Howard Dean and allowed Rahm to take over the DCCC and DSCC.

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one."

by Betty Pinson on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 02:32:08 PM PST

•  No, I have to disagree somewhat. (4+ / 0-)

What Chicago does never could translate to other political regions, including Washington.  I will readily agree with you that Emmanuel was a poor choice by Obama, but Emmanuel also worked his way up the DNC ranks and worked in Clinton's Administration.

It is not unusual for a President to pick people to help him in the WH from his home state.  Clinton did and so did Carter as I lived in Georgia when Carter was President.

As much as I detest Chicago's machine politics, one thing that it is is efficient -- especially with running campaigns.  I would imagine that the GOP is envious of that aspect right about now.

Lastly not all of Obama's local picks are cut from Rahm's cloth.  But Obama could have done without Rahm, Arnie and Bill.

by smoothnmellow on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 02:51:48 PM PST

•  Chicago didn't make Rahmbo Sr. Adviser to WJC (4+ / 0-)

It had nothing to do w/ his meteoric rise through the House Dem Caucus.  His ability to shake the FIRE $ tree had much more to do w/ that advancement.

One can argue that Rahmbo's Chicago connections helped him become WH CoS.   Clinton connections*, however, have been far more important than Chicago connections in this WH.  Wall Street/FIRE connections matter a great deal, too.

*Holder, Geithner, Summers, Sperling, Daley, Rahmbo, and the SoS were all WJC alumni.

by RFK Lives on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 03:18:36 PM PST

•  The Clinton connections evolved (4+ / 0-)

They became much more aligned with (and beholden to) the corporate agenda and less aligned with Democratic Party principles after the Clinton years.

Clinton managed to raise taxes on the wealthy and cut defense spending deeply, in spite of having those players as advisors.  Clinton managed to keep his own counsel regardless of any more conservative advice this crew may have been pushing. He knew to ignore them at times, though not often enough.

With Obama, they had free rein. They came into their new advisory roles with a much stronger, more developed Wall Street-driven policy agenda. Obama took all of their advice as gospel, though he appears to have changed course.

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one."

by Betty Pinson on Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 03:32:38 PM PST

•  This was after Howard Dean helped put (0+ / 0-)

the Chicago machine into power.

• Recommended (152)
  • Media (27)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Law (23)
  • Spam (22)
  • Education (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (19)
  • Congress (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site