View Diary: States' Rights My @$$! (104 comments)

•  Perhaps you have a point . . . (6+ / 0-)

. . . but you miss the one about ALEC.

ALEC does not care at all about 'states rights'. Not at ALL. ALEC cares about ALEC, about exploiting any opportunity to benefit itself. ALEC does not care who pays for anything, as long as it is not them. ALEC cares about profit, with perfect disregard for costs borne by everyone else.

The functionality of the states within the construct of the Constitution is really not in question. They have their place, they serve their purpose, and they are in their separate parts by definition subservient to the whole. E Pluribus UNUM, and all that.

In a larger sense, what we have is the Federal government as a de facto parent setting the standards of behavior for an orphanage of disfunctional children. What ALEC wants is for the inmates to run the asylum, because they know that without adult oversight, the looting is just so much easier.

Nobody wants to destroy the states, or take anything from them. But the very notion that the states should somehow be able to pick and choose what remnants of the Constitution should matter in what places -- you can't be serious.

The furnace of Affliction produces Refinement, in States as well as Individuals. John Adams, 1776.

by semiAdult on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 02:28:36 PM PST

•  Would that be the "Nanny State" so many fear (1+ / 0-)
      FeltzNook

When you say:

It comes across as somehow the people inside the beltway know more about how we should conduct ourselves than those who live say in Oregon.

Some...spoke with strong and powerful voices, which proclaimed in accents trumpet-tongued,"I am beautiful, and I rule". Others murmured in tones scarcely audible, but exquisetly soft and sweet, "I am little, and I am beloved"." Armandine A.L. Dupin

by Kvetchnrelease on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 04:02:23 PM PST

•  If not for federal directives . . . (1+ / 0-)
        FeltzNook

. . . in the form of laws and rules, there would be no such thing as the Civil Rights Act, or the miracle of Medicare, or any recognizable environmental values in any government, local or state. Given the current ALEC imperialism movement, it would all be a constant race to the bottom, a refusal of everything, with interminable whining (not that we don't have it now) about how taxes are horrid and we should never have to do anything we don't like and over in the corner a group of them screaming "I WON'T EAT MY PEAS!!!"

We're probably stuck with the whiners, no matter what happens. But the notion that there is some inner goodness that springs eternally from the breast of ALEC may be just a bit shy of reality. The common grunt about 'the beltway' is just covering up the neanderthal intent to bash every head that might cost them a penny. Or do you see the benevolent masters of Mississippi as role models in the construction of the future?

by semiAdult on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 08:05:37 PM PST

•  Heartland to beltway is path paved with corruption (1+ / 0-)
          FeltzNook

I think most elected officials arrive in Washington with good intentions and remain accountable to their electorate. In my experience it is the insufferable staffers that assume magisterial personas who cause most of the problems for elected officials on both sides of the aisle.

by Kvetchnrelease on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 06:29:28 AM PST

•  You probably don't want . . . (0+ / 0-)

. . . to go down that road on the 'staffer' issue. I get verklempft about it. For me, this is a trap door into the 'term limits' idiocy, a special issue that we do not often get to really consider in detail.

If we really did have 'term limits' in the elected government, we're saying by definition that getting elected is the only goal, that there's not enough time in office to really do much, that nobody gets to stick around long enough to even learn the job before they're gone. The only people who actually know the job are the staffers, and they're passed around among the elected ones. Basically, the details of government are totally dependent on the staffers. I don't think that's the intention.

It's not that staffers are evil, but it's hard to imagine a situation where a faceless cadre of the unrecognized, plus a horde of lobbyist mercenaries bearing gifts, with an overlay of posturing frontmen smiling for the cameras (and the folks back home), could turn out well.

by semiAdult on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46:36 AM PST

•  You are correct that ALEC only cares about ALEC. (0+ / 0-)

I didn't miss that point, so much as that, while true, it was entirely irrelevant to my point.

But maybe not, maybe I should think about that some more.  I mean ALEC is only caring about ALEC, and has latched on to "State's Rights" as it's banner for pushing garbage, and that's causing people to hate on "State's Rights" unfairly, which actually IS my point.

Maybe I could have been more clear when I said

ALEC is a bush of thieving bastards trying to overturn the constitution, sure.  Everything they do is probably wrong.  Ok.

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov

by Aramis Wyler on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 12:28:14 PM PST