View Diary: The Sordid Truth about the United States Marine Corps (317 comments)

•  Please listen to the folks (13+ / 0-)

suggesting you delete this diary. You raise some valid questions about the nature of militarism and the sacrifice we demand of those who are in the military. However, your approach is hurtful to those who have served or care for those who serve.

You have every right to post this diary and state your opinions. But I would strongly urge you to rethink tone and wording.

And green belt??? Hell, I made green belt. Believe me-you won't be killing anyone with your bare hands.

Nobody is normal because everyone is different- my eight year old daughter

by left rev on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 02:43:13 PM PST

•  I'm so thankful for the comments in this diary (7+ / 0-)

that made such a sad commentary humorous.

Seriously, LOL

AND WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT HEALTH CARE IN 2011? -- Susan from 29

by voracious on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 02:46:50 PM PST

•  So left rev, the diary raises "valid questions" (1+ / 0-)
      zinger99

but you don't like the TONE?

"You have every right to post this diary and state your opinions" as long as you do it in a way that offends no one.

I'm not getting into this. Anyone who actually served knows the truth of what went on, and how they react to it.

And as long as war is prettied up, it will continue.

When it is all said and done, there is often more said than done.

by glorificus on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 02:54:21 PM PST

•  You already got into it (8+ / 0-)

by posting here.

Did you even read the damn diary before you added your addled self-righteousness to the diarist's?

We're not objecting to the fact that war is ugly. We're objecting to the broad-brush smearing of the members of an ENTIRE BRANCH OF THE MILITARY--people who have fought and died for the likes of you--because some jerk wants to paint himself as an! anti! war! hero!

FEH.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 02:58:31 PM PST

•  Uh, people say shit all the time. Do you accept (1+ / 0-)
          zinger99

what Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich says about Democrats or liberals as the truth?

Yes, I read the diary. Not everyone in the military sees combat. Jesus, you go into a feeding frenzy because someone says something you don't agree with 150%.

I do believe there were multiple My Lai-type massacres. I do believe the government turns young men into "trained killers" which was the term I was told THEY used in their boot camp. I believe there were atrocities committed by U.S. troops in VietNam and in the current actions in the Middle East. I also believe (hope) they were rare.

If the entire U.S. Army was not subject "to the broad-brush smearing of the members of an ENTIRE BRANCH OF THE MILITARY" from what happened in Abu Ghraib with NO people higher than non-coms* punished, I'm not worried about this piece on a liberal blog.

I found Abu Ghraib disgusting, and the lack of repercussions immoral.

This piece? Just a look back at a war that ended 30+ years ago, more or less.

*Except that one woman general, of course.

When it is all said and done, there is often more said than done.

by glorificus on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 04:11:06 PM PST

•  No, I objected to a POS diary (0+ / 0-)

that was a broad-brush condemnation of all the members of an entire branch of the service.

But nice try.

I do believe there were multiple My Lai-type massacres.

No one is denying that, least of all me. But nice try.

No one is denying that, least of all me. But nice try.

I found Abu Ghraib disgusting, and the lack of repercussions immoral.

No one is denying that, least of all me. But nice try.

This piece? Just a look back at a war that ended 30+ years ago, more or less.

Your point?

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 04:23:16 PM PST

•  Do you approve or excuse what the 4 did? (0+ / 0-)

Do you believe they should get a sternly worded letter and it be allowed to be sent into limbo in their files if they have no further troubles or reprimands for the next year? Would that help?

I suppose you are helping the Marine Corps here so a light punishment would cheer up the morale and keep everybody feeling positive and enthusiastic, or is it something else you are after?

If you think that you and a bunch of other people can just show up on Wall St, camp out and have any effect whatsoever.... well, you will be run off in 20 minutes., you will leave town having wasted your effort 6/18/11.

by BeeDeeS on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 09:53:07 PM PST

•  * (0+ / 0-)
            Do you approve or excuse what the 4 did? (0+ / 0-)

No, I haven't and I don't. But nice try. Do you?

I suppose it's easier to attribute feelings and attitudes to me in a pathetic effort to bolster your point (as you and many others have done) then to actually read my comments and respond to what I, you know, actually said, which is that I object to the characterization of an entire branch of the armed services, and all its members, throughout its entire history, as "serial killers."

To sell a book.

Is that straighforward enough for you? Or do you want to build more strawmen to knock down?

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 12:01:38 PM PST

•  He's not just talking about (5+ / 0-)

war, glorificus. And he's making very broad brush statements about an entire branch of service. Individuals, good and bad.

His valid points are going to get lost in it. They already have.

War is offensive. No pun intended. Policy that requires war for its continued existence is offensive. The people who wind up fighting in them, by and large, are not.

Nobody is normal because everyone is different- my eight year old daughter