View Diary: The Sordid Truth about the United States Marine Corps (317 comments)

•  Shame on you! (3+ / 0-)
    zinger99, Timaeus, BeeDeeS

Shame on you for saying anything negative about the US military.

It's only "a few bad apples" you know.

The US military and US soldiers would NEVER do anything inhumane or against the Geneva Convention...never never.  We're the good guys.

Now, delete this and make everyone feel better.

•  Go to hell, David. (4+ / 0-)

That's not what most of us object to, and you know it. Ass.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 04:02:07 PM PST

•  Of course, because American soldiers... (2+ / 0-)
        zinger99, Timaeus

are simply well-meaning individuals simply trying to be patriotic people who should be forgiven for not understanding that they are instruments of American foreign policy.

A job is a job, I guess right?

Maybe you should go tell that to the good American Quakers who work very hard to get people out of the US Military for conscientious objection.

Are these "bad" Americans, too because they don't worship at the alter of militarism?

•  I never said that. (0+ / 0-)

I have respect for COs. I wouldn't dream of smearing them as cowards the way this ass smears Marines as serial killers (do you approve of that, David? Do you?). My best friend in HS was a CO and went through hell because he didn't feel the Vietnam War was moral. And I supported him.

But thanks for erecting another straw man argument. Hope you're proud of yourself.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 07:18:57 PM PST

•  Perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe the diarist (3+ / 0-)
      BeeDeeS, Sharoney, erush1345

is attempting to dissect and characterize not the apples, but the cart.

But if I am not mistaken, your comment helps not.

H'mm. I'm not terribly into this, anymore.

by Knarfc on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 04:28:22 PM PST

•  interesting, isn't it? (3+ / 0-)
      Timaeus, statistic, Sandino

So many people on this site are anti-war----but when it comes to leveling direct criticism on a branch of the military, it's not allowed.

Funny how people work.

I don't agree with the diary either (far too broad a brush and there are many truly heroic people in the miiltary)--but it's interesting to watch what people shut themselves off to in the name of a knee-jerk emotional response.

•  Sheesh. Nothing knee-jerk about it (1+ / 0-)
        erush1345

and I never said that the armed services were without flaws.

What so many of us objected to is the broad-brush calumny of ALL individual Marines who served their country honorably. What is it about that which is so difficult for you and others to understand?

I'm gobsmacked that I even have to say that once in this comment thread, never mind multiple times.

Apparently Kossacks aren't as able to see such crap for what it is as I thought they were back when I joined this site back in 2003.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 07:23:39 PM PST

•  diarist is objecting to something (2+ / 0-)
          Sandino, David Kroning II

that a lot of people here hold sacred.  He's allowed to do that.

The whole military=heroes notion is basically jingoistic in itself.  Are many of them heroes?  Yes.  Many aren't.

Diarist may be over-generalizing--but there are points in there that could be discussed quite civily elsewhere.

•  No one said military=heroes. (0+ / 0-)

You and others are the ones saying that, at the same time many are indulging in the same reductionist thinking you accuse others of.

Diarist may be over-generalizing

"May be"? It's as plain as day.

"The truth will set you free...but first it'll piss you off." - Gloria Steinem

by Sharoney on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 08:08:45 PM PST

•  Your sarcasm says a lot about who you are. (2+ / 0-)
      Sharoney, erush1345

It also says you have no understanding of the US Military and the generally very conscientious and honorable people who stand between you and parts of a world that would like nothing better than to indiscriminately destroy the best things we stand for.

What we read, see, and hear on the news is part of the "if it bleeds, it leads" mode of media operations to capture the most viewers.  You don't read about all the fine and decent things done by our military...not because they're not newsworthy, but because it's not entertaining enough.

Both you and the diarist have transferred your dislike of government policy...and war is an extension of government policy...to those who are sworn to uphold the oath they took when then became soldiers.  Not only have both of you you transferred your dislike, you've been insulting and priggish.

Your patronizing condescension is despicable.  I suggest you direct your remarks to the civilians that tell our fine soldiers what to do...and often how to do it....even when that puts their lives at greater risk.

The longer I live, the clearer I perceive how unmatchable a compliment one pays when he says of a man "he has the courage to utter his convictions." Mark Twain

by Persiflage on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 07:31:48 PM PST

•  I served in the Gulf War...wearing a uniform (0+ / 0-)

of the US military.

I was a 20650

I was trained to kill people and I most likely did.

•  I stand by my comment. (1+ / 0-)
          Sharoney

I'm sure your service as an AF photo interpreter was invaluable.   You're still insulting and priggish.

CPT. ADA, MACV, USARV

by Persiflage on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 06:30:30 AM PST

•  Perhaps... (1+ / 0-)
            Thousandwatts

but I'm also informed by my experiences, Captain...

Many a man or woman who as gone to war and seen the true nature of it has come to denounce it as a tool of foreign policy and as an instrument of human self-destruction.

Yet, it goes on...because young people become drunk on the heroism of their grandfathers, shiny metals and colorful ribbons and forget what it's all really about.

If it were simply a matter of defending ourselves, or family and our friends that would be one thing.

You cannot be so foolish, however, to believe that the last generation of wars were about anything other than the acquisition and the control over oil resources.

Keep cheering...it is your right.  As much is it my right to warn against such folly.

•  Do you truly believe there are people who (1+ / 0-)
              Sharoney

have experienced war up close and personal that just love it and want more?   Say what you will about those who haven't, and yet glorify or encourage it   Start with Congress.   Complain  loudly.  I do.

You characterize objections about YOU and your self-awarded moralistic superiority, as cheering for war.  Have a field day.   You're hiding a small mind behind a glittering shield of self-righteousness.

by Persiflage on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 07:03:12 AM PST

•  Oh please... (0+ / 0-)

nice way to avoid the issue as if it were too complicated to understand...

Without geometry, life is pointless. And blues harmonica players suck.

by blindcynic on Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 08:28:40 PM PST