View Diary: Texas' Grand Canyon (76 comments)

•  I'd recommend (30+ / 0-)

approaching the canyon from the north, on 207. It's more fun that way, because you don't really see it coming. (You can 'drive' it in Google streetview, too.)

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 12:55:49 PM PST

•  I agree (17+ / 0-)

When I drove the loop to take 207 through the canyon, I approached from the north. You see nothing for miles and then ...BAM...the canyon drops before you. The southern approach is much more gradual. But I like the view from the Hamblen Drive Overlook near the south rim just off 207 that I posted above.

"Lesbian and gay people are a permanent part of the American workforce, who currently have no protection from the arbitrary abuse of their rights on the job." --Coretta Scott King

by craigkg on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 01:03:15 PM PST

•  You get the same effect from SR-217 eastbound (8+ / 0-)

out of the town of Canyon itself (Palo Duro Drive). It's very noticeable when flying out of AMA (Rick Husband Amarillo Int'l Airport) too.

It is an awesome place, I spent a lot of time there while on TDY in Amarillo. Don't go in the midday summertime sun though, heh.
      There are some more interesting canyonlands around the headwaters of the Colorado River east of Lamesa, TX (way south of Lubbock); and even all the way to San Angelo, Eden and Junction.
      West Texas, damned nice places to visit.
      Although happiness to me was seeing Happy, TX in my rear view mirror every chance I got (a little town 20 miles south of Canyon).

Wondering how FDR managed to get so damn much stuff done (that park and hundreds more, all those airports, roads, etc.), tangible stuff that employed many thousands of workers in critical times, and a lot of it is still around being well used for and by all of us, when our present day politicians can just barely piss at each other? Let alone any trickle down to the prols.
      For comparison see eight years of W Bush, anything positively tangible to show for them? I don't see much to show for Obama either.

"Double, double, toile and trouble; Fire burne, and Cauldron bubble... By the pricking of my Thumbes, Something wicked this way comes": Republicans Willkommen auf das Vierte Reich! Sie Angelegenheit nicht mehr.

by Bluefin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 04:17:54 PM PST

•  To your last point, (8+ / 0-)

the achievements of the CCC are stunning, and it's shameful that we are doing nothing equivalent today.

I'll never forget a trail in Zion Nat'l Park cut into a vertical cliff face. No railings! And with a wind, it's not a stroll in the park. I walked parts of it gripping the cliff face with my backside, even though the trail's about 4'-5' wide. As I walked it I remember imagining with awe the people, the ordinary Americans employed by a compassionate and far-sighted government, out there building that trail. That was an investment in America in more ways than one. I think of things like this when I hear right-wing ideologues spouting their anti-historical cant that government can't create jobs. There is no honesty in them.

"It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

by psnyder on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 04:39:33 PM PST

•  Exactly what I meant, ps. (4+ / 0-)
          psnyder, Onomastic, blueoasis, craigkg

As far as cliffside trails (or anywhere like that, up top or whatever), you cannot ever underestimate the force and unpredictability of the wind (take it from an old cat sailor who has dumped hulls every way possible, yeehaaa-- splash...glub...oh shit that hurt, when you run out of loose trap line).
          I've made like a scared lizard more than once, and been on all fours or flat to the ground clawing into any crevice and looking for an outcrop rock to chomp on just for good measure.

by Bluefin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 05:20:45 PM PST

•  Don't forget Rural Electrification (3+ / 0-)
        Bluefin, OpherGopher, BusyinCA

Huge boon to West Texas. A lot of the New Deal era co-ops are still in place and still supplying farms with electricity.

"what did surprise me was their supposition that nobody would notice they were lying"

by harrije on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 09:07:32 PM PST