View Diary: New polls: Economy still Bush's fault, GOP responsible for gridlock (224 comments)

•  Just because a few Paulistas show up in that crowd (2+ / 0-)
    NWTerriD, Laconic Lib

does not mean their opinion is welcome.  Any American can come and speak up.  If their opinion is valued, it is promoted and encouraged.  If what they have to say has no value, no one wants to hear more of it.

We are NOT 'coddling racists'.  OWS is not guilty by association simply because a loud, yet tiny minority of Paulites shows up.  I've seen them shouted down several times in fact.

Applying the term, 'racist' to OWS doesn't even make sense.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 02:54:44 PM PST

•  I did NOT apply the term 'racist' to OWS. (0+ / 0-)

The reference was to Paulites. I just have no use whatsoever for Paulites given the very long list of reasons Ron Paul should be roundly rejected by reasonable people.

Ds see human suffering and wonder what they can do to relieve it. Rs see human suffering and wonder how they can profit from it.

by JTinDC on Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 04:20:59 PM PST

•  Really? (0+ / 0-)

Then WTF was this:

They have no qualms coddling racist Paulites. (3+ / 0-)

All I am saying, is that judging OWS by the insane actions or speeches on Youtube, or signs by followers of the RP sect - is ridiculous.  Yes, Paulites do seem to be quite racist.  OWS is very inclusive.  Everyone can show up.  No one is barred.  And, certainly not any sort of racism at OWS rallies, protests, or marches.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 08:57:15 PM PST

•  OWS is very inclusive? Maybe they shouldn't be. (0+ / 0-)

Perhaps they should say thanks, but no thanks to allowing racist Paulites to enter their ranks. Racism is a big part of if not the entire core of right wing justification for right wing policy. It offends me deeply that racists are given a pass by OWS. Paulite racists deserve nothing but scorn and alienation from decent people. Shouting them down falls far short of the total shunning these racist idiots deserve.

by JTinDC on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 05:10:09 AM PST

•  I understand your point of view. (0+ / 0-)
            OWS is very inclusive? Maybe they shouldn't be.

What part of 99% don't you get?

Many of us wish that were so!  Maybe having conversations with the Paulistas can encourage them to change their thinking.

Agreed on the wrong-wing core thingie - but OWS isn't 'giving a pass' to anyone.  In order for your thinking to work, you are skipping over several points.  Firstly, the conclusion that OWS is giving a 'pass' to racists is an idea that would be dispelled by a single day at an Occupy.  Secondly, the fact that RP'rs show up to stir up the shit at OWS does not mean that OWS is guilty by association.

Your logic path sounds like this - Ron Paul is a racist, so anyone associated with him is a racist - his followers in particular, and since Paulistas show up at Occupy in very tiny numbers, then the entirety of OWS is now racist because they show up there.  Some interesting mental gymnastics there.

No one is arguing that fact.  100% agree.

Now, all that being said, if OWS, which has no leadership and no exclusions - focused on Paulites to "shun them" (which is actually already taking place, but they show up anyway) - I ask you, how many other groups should they shun?  OWS is about the 99% vs the 1%.  Think about the end point of your logic!  Dividing up the 99% and putting them into separate groups to do battle with one another is America's biggest problem.  The 99% represents thousands of view points.  I think we can all agree that the 99% are getting fucked by the 1%.

Connecting a bunch of arbitrary dots to label OWS as 'racist', or "coddling racists" - does not make it so.  OWS was also accused of being anti-semitic. That BS was dispelled as well.

I encourage you to go to any Occupy, anywhere, and ask questions - so that you don't continue to live in ignorance about what they are about.  Don't judge without first actually showing up and checking it out.  OWS is a force for good, not evil.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 07:25:26 AM PST

•  Knock off the accusation that I am calling OWS (0+ / 0-)

racist for allowing racists into their ranks. You read that into what I've said, but that is not at all what I ever actually said.

OWS is not racist for allowing racists into the fold, but they are, IMO. morally wrong for doing so. It is a compromise I cannot stomach and for which I cannot accept any justification.

Sorry if excluding the racist Paulites disprupts the simple mathematics of 1% v 99%, but racism, I had thought was so unacceptable to decent society that that portion of the 99% could just be told to fuck off and die.

OWS can be a force for good, but I do not accept that it is a given that they are a force for good. Proof is in the pudding. If OWS were to in any way, even indirectly, cost Obama his re-election, then in my book, clearly, OWS could not be considered a force for good. I trust the judgment of this president more than I do the judgement of a group that alllows racists in their ranks.

by JTinDC on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 08:01:28 AM PST

•  We will have to agree to disagree Jt. (0+ / 0-)

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 09:21:01 AM PST

•  Which is rare, because I think 99% of the time (1+ / 0-)
                  Evolutionary

we actually do agree. :-) We cool?

by JTinDC on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 10:25:18 AM PST

•  Of course! Kossacks are like a family. We may (0+ / 0-)

have heated arguments sometimes, but we still have one another's backs.

And yes, I was thinking the same thing, I agree with much of what you have to say on other subjects.  Peace to you and yours.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 10:54:24 AM PST

•  Well, OK, maybe another area where we have to (1+ / 0-)
                      Evolutionary

agree to disagree. You're a better man than I.

I'll have certain Kossacks backs, yours certainly included, but others I'd have a hard time defending.

priceman, for one, right now has a diary up telling people why SC justice appointments are not a legitimate reason to vote for Obama and Dems. Trying to invalidate a legitimate reason to vote for Obama is something I cannot abide. The guy is clearly working agsinst Obama's re-election. He may be  Kossack, but if he were under attack, I doubt I'd have his back.

by JTinDC on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 11:22:17 AM PST

•  I too, tire of the constant attacks on my (0+ / 0-)

President.  He isn't perfect, and I never expected him to be.  He is, though, about a million times better than any Republican.

Expectations are premeditated resentments.  And, maybe my brush is too broad!  There are some Kossacks that don't appear to be part of the family.  They are basically semi-trolls that we tolerate.  They are nearly always on the wrong side of things.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 11:41:56 AM PST