View Diary: Limiting child farm labor promotes obesity, says Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley (88 comments)

•  Or a lawn mower? (1+ / 0-)
    elfling

And what exactly are "timber operations"? I can think of some stuff I did in Boy Scouts that I could call timber operations.

"What we really expect out of the Democrats is for them to treat us as they would liked to have been treated." --John Boehner

by slothlax on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 07:31:48 PM PST

•  Timber Operations (1+ / 0-)
      sixeight120bpm

Are probably operations that require LTOs (if you're in California) or a Certified Logging Professional (if you're in Maine). Different states call it different things, but if you need a license to do the heavy timber/logging work it's probably more than lawn mowing. I think kids should not be involved in such work.

I would compare it to construction. If you want your daughter or son to help build a shed, or if 4H wants to help build one to hold seeds/plants, more power to you. But if the site requires a licensed contractor, Dig Alert, and permits, then maybe it's not the best place for small children.

I write the series Confessions of a Retail Worker here on DK. It documents my life in a non-unionized workplace.

by Lightbulb on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 07:53:42 PM PST

•  Lawn mower = power driven equipment (1+ / 0-)
        elfling

That was the first thing I thought of when I read that term. And if states already have licensing rules that cover these areas, what's the need for federal regulation?

by slothlax on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 08:07:53 PM PST

•  Child labor (0+ / 0-)

Because right now, you have a situation where children are working 10 hour days in the fields, instead of going to school. While such families may have their children working because they need the money for the children to eat, the least we can do in this country is help make sure that they don't die on the job.

by Lightbulb on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 08:18:36 PM PST

•  I don't see the connection (0+ / 0-)

Are you saying the states aren't doing a good enough job policing this? Or that kids die on farms at an alarming rate? I am not aware of such problems.

by slothlax on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 08:32:16 PM PST

•  That's already illegal so why do you need another (2+ / 0-)
            slothlax, elfling

law?  Why not enforce what we have?

•  We should be specific (1+ / 0-)
            slothlax

about our concerns, and not too broad. These rules prevent kids from working even when there's no school. And those that need to work may end up flipping burgers at McD's or hauling heavy boxes next to you.

We just need to take care that we're banning what we think we're banning.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 10:37:40 PM PST

•  right, what are "timber operations" (1+ / 0-)
      slothlax

my family had a xmas tree farm. It was small. Would that count?