View Diary: I give up :) (204 comments)

•  I' glad you saw that. Plus, you have snow. (5+ / 0-)

(Im not there and I am Seattle emerald with envy)

Life gives us nice moments. Whether we choose to savor them and let them affect us positively is up to us.

I always feel that we Washingtonians are our own special team, but it's great to have you on the Obama-wing of the fleece-wearing,  umbrella-eschewing, geoduck-munching team!

© grover

So if you get hit by a bus tonight, would you be satisfied with how you spent today, your last day on earth? Live like tomorrow is never guaranteed, because it's not.

by grover on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 11:06:11 PM PST

•  we had snow, about 4", Tues from 9 pm (5+ / 0-)

to Wed around noon.

The only bad part? It was wet, wet and heavy, and the bloody firs dropped limbs from hell to breakfast, putting about 6,000 Clark County PUD (public utility district) customers in the dark for most of Wed.

Me? Power went out at 7:00 am (I got up at 7:10, and my radiator heater was still just a wee bit warm, so I could pinpoint the time), and didn't come back until just after 5:30 pm.

It was not too bad, as the day had warmed up to about 40 by 3 pm, and I lit up about 40 tealight candles (which made the neighbor across the pasture call me all excited at 4:00 to ask if my power was back on), which allowed me to read by.

The good thing about missing anti-SOPA/PIPA day on the Tubes, due to no power? I read three books, something I haven't done in, well, years, I'd guess.

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly (I love his Lincoln Lawyer series).

Finger Lickin Fifteen by Janet Evanovich (I'm leery of the film version of the 1st in this series, One for the Money, starring Katherine Heigle coming out on the 27th - but I'll be going anyway, I love Stephanie Plum and maybe America will, too).

And finally, View from the Imperium by Jody Lynn Nye, which reminded me a bit of the Phule's Company books by Robert Asprin, which I've loved for years. Plus, every thing by Jody that I've ever read has been worth at least one re-read.

p.s. I LOVE clams, especially in Ivar's Clam Chowder. Thank godz, Costco sells it by the quart, it'd be a long damned drive to Seattle for some soup!

* * *
      I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization
      * * *
      "A Better World is Possible" - #Occupy

by Angie in WA State on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 11:52:05 PM PST

•  I've seen that Ivar's chowder at Costco, (3+ / 0-)

and I've avoided it thus far. I'm afraid it could be immediately habit-forming.

Looks like you got some good reading done. Clark PUD was very efficient. Puget Sound Energy likely won't have everyone up again for days, but when people live in godforesaken underpopulated areas (and my house tends to be in one of those), we should be used to it by now.

Although,  there's always some rich people who live in the middle of nowhere in the foothills on a dead end road because they want their privacy; and we'll see these folks on TV complaining that PSE's crews --who are working around the clock --aren't  doing enough because THEY and their one other neighbor haven't gotten power back yet.

Snow in Western WA. Gotta love it!

© grover

by grover on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 12:11:45 AM PST

•  Ivar's had a food stand (3+ / 0-)

at the food court at one of the local malls (Valley Fair in Santa Clara) but it closed; guess they wanted to keep operations closer to home. Was disappointed because I love their clam chowder (a visit to at least one Ivar's is a requirement for every Seattle visit for me and the spouse), but it was a good place to get the chowder while my spouse would have one of the fish and chips (always meant to try the salmon and chips but never did, salmon being one of the few fish I actually like).

Jealous...

Now to try to end the wars we ask our gay and straight soldiers to fight. -- Chris Hayes (modified)

by Cali Scribe on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 12:58:29 AM PST

•  Here's hoping that Costco in Ohio carries Ivar's (1+ / 0-)
        Angie in WA State

Clam Chowder...or maybe I'm better off if it doesn't...

Great evil has been done on earth by people who think they have all the answers. - Lynn W Andrews 1987

by Spirit of Life on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 09:02:48 AM PST

•  hi angie, my family is from whidbey island (0+ / 0-)

my brother still lives there. isn't Ivar's clam chowder at the mukiteo ferry?

liberal pragmatist. artist. obama supporter.

by hardart on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 10:03:41 AM PST

•  the original Ivar's is still at Pier 57 or 59, I (1+ / 0-)
          hardart

can't remember which one, in Seattle on the waterfront, just down the street from the Seattle Aquarium at the Pier.

The seagulls there are the size of big geese, and will eat out of your hands the french fries that come with the Clam Chowder from Ivar's.

I took my granddaughter, when she was 5. We had a blast, rode the Amtrak up from Vancouver.

* * *