View Diary: Romney campaign busing in Mormons from D.C. to make crowds. WOW. (345 comments)

•  Too sweeping. They don't own me, (6+ / 0-)

nor other UT based members of DKos.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 11:24:09 AM PST

•  Yet, see middleagedhousewife's post below... (2+ / 0-)
      TrueBlueMajority, Mayfly

she seems sincere enough.

•  I see it. (0+ / 0-)

I'll grant that the majority does make the laws it wants to. But I've never felt like the laws restricted me in any way.

Perhaps because I grew up in the Bible Belt (Texas, specifically) in the 50s and 60s, I have memories of restrictions of earlier times and compared to that my life now seems a lot freer.

I'd feel considerably better about Mitt in the White House than Santorum (American Taliban), Gingrich (nutjob), or Paul (nutjob's nutjob).

I'm thinking however that whichever of those clowns, if any, get the GOP nomination, Obama will be a shoo-in. So I don't worry about it all that much.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 01:08:38 PM PST

•  The state is run by Mormons and the church (9+ / 0-)

practically wrote their legal system.

Look at Utah's alcohol laws for example. They're the most restrictive in the nation. Written by Mormons. Hell, be lucky it's not a dry state, they would do that too if given the opportunity.

The Mormon church might not own you, but they own the state.

TEABAGGER: Totally Enraged About Blacks And Gays Getting Equal Rights

by yg17 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 11:45:48 AM PST

•  What really struck me about their liquor laws (6+ / 0-)

was that if you went into a bar you had to have someone sponsor you as a member so you could drink. There was a fee, usually $5.00.

However, you could go into a gas station and buy a six-pack of beer.

Utah's wine and spirit stores had really great selections (best collection of single malts I've ever seen in one store), but pricey, which is why people probably drove over to Wendover, which was joking known as the "place Mormons go to gamble".

Weird, but beautiful state.

I have spent many years of my life in opposition and I rather like the role. - Eleanor Roosevelt

by Rogneid on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 11:59:58 AM PST

•  they liberalized the laws recently, pardon the (1+ / 0-)
        Rashaverak

expression.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 01:01:35 PM PST

•  I was just "there" (2+ / 0-)
          billmosby, Rashaverak

By there I mean layover at SLC airport for a few hours and was put off by the fact that the bar/restaurant I ate lunch at would've had to scan my ID and enter me into a database to serve me alcohol, so I stuck with water instead. Some things I refuse to do, especially because I was en route to Vegas where the liquor is plentiful. Their laws are liberalized, but they still have a long way to go.

TEABAGGER: Totally Enraged About Blacks And Gays Getting Equal Rights

by yg17 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 07:03:22 PM PST

•  Hm, never encountered that before. (0+ / 0-)

But I have only experienced buying beer or wine at restaurants, nothing at bars for quite a while. I live in the Salt Lake City area. Thanks for the info.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 08:45:15 PM PST