View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Paul Babeu to Paul Gosar: 'Are you insane?' (198 comments)

•  Too Republican (1+ / 0-)
      James Allen

The Republican Party has a strong bench there.

22, Nice Calm Burkean Post-Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Childhood), TX-21 (School), TX-10 (Home); SSP: wmayes

by wwmiv on Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 08:48:46 AM PST

•  And that's the only reason? (0+ / 0-)

Yesterday I was told that suburban Republicans just don't vote for Democrats, ever, and after I listed a bunch of districts that seemed to challenge that,  I was told that they don't qualify for one reason or another. It's not clear to be if there's any precise classification of what constitutes a suburb. I don't mean to sound dense, but it's important to have this down. My town isn't very big, and it's not right outside of New York City, but I consider it a suburb. The east end of Long Island could be classified as rural, but where I live? (And yes, I think exurbs count in the suburb category here.) Wikipedia classifies my congressional district as almost 100 percent urban, which is ridiculous, and for all districts, it only has the "rural" and "urban" tags. You can, as sacman said, use your own knowledge and common sense, but this isn't an exact unit of measurement.

I ask you because you seem to disagree with me a lot about this stuff, and I figured you might have something good to add.

Overall, I think the problem is that we just give up. We have to pick good targets, of course, but while states and districts are different, I think the following sentiment applies: they are red, until they aren't. If we win, barring some very unusual circumstances, we can win again. And then once we do that, perhaps we can hold it. And then it's not so red any more, is it?

•  Urbanity (0+ / 0-)

This is a good outline. For non urban area classifications, the government typically uses a 100 ppsm delineation between urban and rural. For government purposes, urbanity and suburbanity are two halves of the same concept: a built up environment.

As for what constitutes a suburb, that is a question rife with racial and ethnic considerations. In my modern view, however, a suburb is any bedroom community within a moderate distance from a central dense node wherein a significant chunk of its residents commute to that dense node for work, leisure, or cultural amenities.

And as for this:

I actually agree with most of what you say. Perhaps it seems this way because I only feel it necessary (at least usually) to comment when I disagree? If so, I'm sorry for that. :(

by wwmiv on Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 09:40:12 AM PST

•  Long Island is suburban NYC (0+ / 0-)

the districts you cited are definitely not suburban. (Exactly what city's orbit do you think MI-01 is a part of? It's nowhere near Detroit or even Grand Rapids.)

21, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 09:47:03 AM PST

•  MI 01 was one example. (0+ / 0-)

But what about NY-20?

And yes, Long Island is suburban NYC. That was point as far as discussing the failings of using Wikipedia for this.

•  Wikipedia doesn't classify anything as (0+ / 0-)

suburban.

As for NY-20, suburban? Maybe a veeeeery little tiny bit at the southern end, but the district overall is definitely not. NY-19 might be a decent example but even then that's better classified as exurban IMO (it's not a bunch of Levittowns built up post-WWII, but rather an outer-ring currently-expanding area, which certainly fits my and probably most people's definition of exurban as opposed to suburban).

21, male, RI-01 (voting) IL-01 (college), hopeless Swingnut

by sapelcovits on Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 11:07:26 AM PST

•  I don't want you to feel like I'm attacking you (0+ / 0-)

at all by constantly responding on this point, because I'm not, and I enjoy having you here on this site.

But the population of Albany's suburbs is definitely under 150,000, and is in my estimation closer to 50,000.

NY-20 is nearly entirely rural.
              I wouldn't use Wikipedia; I'd use DRA.

Load up the state, and check out when the precincts start having under 2 or 3 thousand people.  That's generally when the suburbs end.

19, D, new CA-18 (home) new CA-13 (college). Economic liberal, social libertarian, fiscal conservative. Put your age and CD here :) -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 11:11:04 AM PST

•  I don't think you are attacking me. (0+ / 0-)

As I just noted to sapelcovits, I meant NY 19 rather than NY 20, as it's a clear example of suburbs, or so I think.

As far as your advice, I will do that and then get back to you.

•  NY 19 (0+ / 0-)

has a PVI around EVEN, though, doesn't it?

by jncca on Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 01:27:13 PM PST