View Diary: An Open Letter to My Surly Republican Friends (185 comments)

•  When I see the damage bought politicians cause, (12+ / 0-)

(See michigan for example) I fear what a billion dollar Republican campaign could unleash.  The one very lucky timing for us is, how ever much we are disappointed in our president, man can he bring in the money.  Just think how up a creek we'd be if we were running a Carter, or even a Humphrey.  Being out spent 10 to 1 sucks.

•  We will be outspent. Obama has not raised (28+ / 0-)

that much money so far. And it is still mostly small contributors. The banksters have mostly fled. They are giving him modest (for them) amounts because they realize he might well win, but not much effort is being made. The financial reform bill was a lot tougher than most people think. They hate it and have been spending mega bucks to kill it and especially the Consumer Finance protection agency. Shelby is earning his cut.

Obama IS offending the rich and powerful. However the Left of center each has their own little reason to be "disappointed" with what he has done. They won't take success as an answer because it lacked the special ingredient, because it took too long, because one pet cause was used as the bargaining chip to get 10 other very important things done.

It isn't going to be enough to get Obama reelected. We MUST take back the house and at least make inroads in the Senate. If the Republican lose big time they might, just might decide that their strategy wasn't working and they just might think about changing it.

Righteous rant. Cut it to 750 words and submit it to the NYTimes as an op ed.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 05:36:32 AM PST

•  It's not just Dodd-Frank (22+ / 0-)

Most people don't realize that ACA adds a 3.8% tax to investment income. The bankers/brokers, etc. are apoplectic about this.

Whenever I read here that Obama is in Wall St.'s back pocket, I know we're doomed. That's just total crap.

But now the whining investor class are making a huge mistake. They're going after the President, who now has no choice, or maybe now has the righteous excuse, but to pivot and go full throttle the other way.

President Obama will win unless the economy completely tanks again, and when he does this time, he will be much harder on the banks and investor class. They pushed him to listen to OWS, which is where his heart is anyway, and so their precious cap gains loopholes might well be in jeopardy.

•  Which is why I still think a big reason (13+ / 0-)

Republicans went totally ballistic on Obamacares was that it is paid for by taxes on the rich.

“when Democrats don’t vote, Democrats don’t win.” Alan Grayson

by ahumbleopinion on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 08:14:45 AM PST

•  I hope you are right. n/t (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

Force is the midwife of every old society pregnant with a new one. Marx

by Marihilda on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 10:06:12 AM PST

•  Obama consistently appoints banksters... (0+ / 0-)

...and keeps them in his administration. When they leave, he replaces them with someone as bad or worse.

His administration is, right now, desperately trying to finalize a deal to allow the mortgage criminals to get away with a paltry slap-on-the-wrist fine, and immunity from prosecution.

Thus:

is not total crap.

The reason Obama is not as well-loved by the banksters now as in '08, is because he's not 100% toeing their line, he's just toeing it about 90%. A Republican would give them all of what they want, Obama, just 90%.

Greedy bastards want it all. Now.

If you keep voting for the Lesser of Two Evils, you end up with an Evil, unjust government.

And that is why we may be doomed.

"the tranquilizing drug of gradualism" - MLK

by 3rdOption on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 01:20:45 PM PST

•  Welcome to America (0+ / 0-)

When you can find a radical liberal who will throw down the man, let me know, okay?

Roosevelt appointed bankers...generally, when you're looking for economic advisers/Secretary of the Treasury/etc., you get people from that field who understand it.

And not always bankers, though they'll surely be tarnished as such. Geithner, for example, was not a banker, but the Chairman of the New York Fed. For all the crap thrown his way - he was tasked with saving the system, not revolutionizing it - he is NOT a very wealthy man. Last I heard, his net worth was somewhere between 700k and 1.5 million, depending on the value of a vacation house he had bought with his brother.

With his knowledge and insider connections, Tim Geithner could be in Paulson's 400 million class, easily.

Oh, and you know that woman, Elizabeth Warren? She's pretty much in the same place as "President Obama" when it comes to Wall St. and the banks.

But again, when you find someone who can get more than 5% in a Democratic primary who vows to tear it all down...

•  Dems aren't donating much yet (2+ / 0-)
        OleHippieChick, samddobermann

We're still in primary season for the GOP.  I'm saving my donations until after the GOP has picked a nominee, because that's when the Dems are really going to need the money.

I'm also going to try to match equally to the Obama campaign, local down ticket campaigns, and the Orange to Blue candidates.  Even if the DNC won't do a 50 state strategy, I can try my own little way to help reach for it anyway.

Keep your religion out of my government.

by catwho on Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 07:06:15 PM PST

•  That's kind of a given. (0+ / 0-)

In my mind, the only question is if corporate money crosses the 10 billion mark.

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru