View Diary: Grayson's racist opponent releases incredible ad (137 comments)

•  I don't think it's a racist ad at all. (0+ / 0-)

I think it's crazy on its substance but perfectly within the bounds of acceptable political discourse.  To be honest, I find it kind of endearing.

But nobody's buying flowers from the flower lady.

by Rich in PA on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 11:47:46 AM PST

•  I think maybe we should (6+ / 0-)

agree to disagree

Florida Congressional candidate Mark Oxner has produced an anti-Obama campaign ad that will probably go down in history as one of the stupidest and most offensive of all time. It depicts the President as captain of a slave ship powered by children. That’s right, a slave ship. As in, the kind of ship that brought a bunch of Africans to America against their will, at devastating cost to human rights and the future of our national conscience. As in, maybe not the best way for a white guy to go after a black guy.
      Is race an element here? I am not sure. This anti-Obama campaign commercial could be one more example of the "benign" myopia that is common to the white racial frame ("how could anyone be offended by a boat, an allusion to slavery, and a black captain whipping his crew? How shocking!). Alternatively, the race work done here could more sinister, as any reference to "white slavery" has historically done potent political work from the Revolutionary War to the present (with the Tea Party faithful using that very same phrase to oppose the Obama administration and play on
      white racial resentment
      and anxiety).
      Congressional Candidate Uses Obama Slave Ship for Campaign Ad?
      But going back to the slave ship metaphor…what in the fucking fuck. I would like to know which genius campaign managers sat around at a meeting bouncing ideas off each other until they decided a slave ship was the very best metaphor they could think of. What lost out to the slave ship? Obama as the owner of a cotton plantation? It seems to me like they are subtly daring opponents to call the ad out as racist, or at the least horribly insensitive, at which point they will accuse progressives of reverse racism for daring to say something about it. Or maybe they’re just really, really dumb. Who knows?

'canter' is a horse's gait - 'cantor' is a horse's ass. - GayIthacan

by qannabbos on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 12:03:44 PM PST

•  I'm not even seeing it as a slave ship. (3+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe, Caj, thestructureguy

In a slave ship slaves are the cargo.  This is a party ship powered by galley slaves. It thus references another period, although I hesitate to say even that because both makers and viewers probably have less historical consciousness than my morning bowl of cereal.  In any event, the notion of debt as slavery is pretty well entrenched in our political discourse and I don't see how we can accept that while screaming bloody murder at adding some visuals to it.  The real critique is that some debt isn't slavery at all.  Instead we're foolishly taking the bait, if indeed that's their plan as suggested in the quote above.

But nobody's buying flowers from the flower lady.

by Rich in PA on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 12:10:54 PM PST

•  lots of deep thinking going on there (2+ / 0-)
          MsGrin, Matt Z

too deep, methinks.

'canter' is a horse's gait - 'cantor' is a horse's ass. - GayIthacan

by qannabbos on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 12:12:13 PM PST

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

Indeed, people use the phrase "debt slavery" all the time right here on Daily Kos.  Are Kossacks racist if they use that phrase or that metaphor?

I can see the argument that it's racially insensitive to analogize your debt to slavery, but I'm pretty sure that people who use that metaphor are not meaning it in a racial sense.

Linking to a news article is journalism in the same sense that putting a Big Mac on a paper plate is cooking.

by Caj on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 01:42:18 PM PST

•  It's not a "slave ship" as commonly understood (5+ / 0-)
        pgm 01, Caj, BradyB, thestructureguy, Matt Z

It's a galley, powered by slave rowers. Not connected to the slave trade, where ships were powered by sail. Of course, commenters (including those you've linked) are free to overlook the factual aspects in order to more effectively paint their message. The right doesn't have a monopoly on that technique.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 12:40:20 PM PST