View Diary: Morning Open Thread (130 comments)

•  I Always, Always Use A Ham Hock (6+ / 0-)

but I subscribe to the Whole Foods newsletter, and it has just some stunning recipes, and this one didn't call for a ham hock. So I figured I'd give it a try.

I normally am a red beans guy 24/7. I usually only eat black beans out of a can. But what the heck, wanted to give it a try. Oh and it also calls for some fresh avocado as garnish.

I admit I've never tired that. I usually just like to garnish with some fresh chopped onion, tomatoes, or cheese.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 04:36:45 AM PST

•  Avocado sounds wonderful! (4+ / 0-)
      webranding, eeff, JaxDem, Phil S 33

Also, when I use vinegar, I always use white wine vinegar along with olive oil.

If I did not have a big pot of chili in the fridge right now, I would be making some black beans today.

"Corporations have no consciences, no beliefs, no feelings, no thoughts, no desires. Corporations help facilitate and structure the activities of human beings, to be sure, and their ‘personhood’ often serves as a useful legal fiction.”-Justice Stevens

by gulfgal98 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 05:15:30 AM PST

•  The Only Vinegar I Have In My House (4+ / 0-)
        eeff, JaxDem, gulfgal98, Phil S 33

is both white wine vinegar and red wine vinegar. And the black beans calls for some white wine vinegar.

BTW: I love Avocado. Love it. But I don't buy it often cause at least by me they things are too "fresh." Like baseballs. Just not ripe enough. I find that if you want to eat them fresh and not make like guacamole in a food processor, they need to be almost spoiled. Very ripe.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 05:19:25 AM PST

•  Haas avocados (4+ / 0-)
          JaxDem, webranding, eeff, Phil S 33

are the only ones I use.  They are the little ones with the dark dimply skin.

by gulfgal98 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 05:38:33 AM PST

•  Why is it... (5+ / 0-)

that the other avocados never ripen?  They are always as hard as a republican's head at the grocery store and don't ripen well at home either.

I too stick with Haas avocados for that reason.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 05:43:18 AM PST

•  Fiddlegirl posted (3+ / 0-)
      webranding, eeff, Phil S 33

This MOT: Best Black Bean Soup EVER! back in November.

It has a link to her favorite "tried and true" recipe.

Personally, I love "tried and true" recipes.  It's like computer programs with all the bugs ironed out of 'em.

by JaxDem on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 05:30:28 AM PST