View Diary: Morning Open Thread: The Last Incan Handwoven Suspension Bridge (121 comments)

•  JaxDem, I must say I am impressed with your (2+ / 0-)
    maryabein, JaxDem

diary formatting (and that of some others)--so neat and professional.  I'm working on one now----and trust me; not worth the effort (from ME) for all the extra time to play with the formatting.

Super presentation.

(You can send the check in the mail for this praise)

•  Hey I Can Help w/ That Phil (2+ / 0-)
      JaxDem, Phil S 33

Check out this little application:

Fooks Software: NoteTab

They have a free version (Light) and you can download and try the Pro version free for 30 days.

It is a hardcore (although easy to use) text editor. Or a word processor. I use it to write code but also like you would MS Word. Heck I never even touch Word anymore other than to do an estimate.

It has the same interface as something like Word. If you want to bold something, highlight the text and click the "B" button. Same with all formatting. Bullets. Font size/color. Adding hyperlinks. Inserting an image. Text alignment. You name it.

But on the screen it doesn't bold the text, it instead inserts the HTML code to create bold text on the Internet. The same as the very basic editor does here.

It is pretty darn cool. If you do a search for "free text editors" there are a lot of "free" ones out there. But alas, I find this one is worth every penny they want for it.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:17:37 AM PST

•  I have trouble.... (1+ / 0-)
        Phil S 33

well, obviously with a lot of stuff, but punctuation in particular.  Can you recommend something for that?

Thanks for your tips to Phil too.  Great info.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:21:04 AM PST

•  Not Sure What You Mean (2+ / 0-)
          Phil S 33, JaxDem

can you explain in a little more detail, cause I know of a program that will do just about anything you could want.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:23:16 AM PST

•  When to comma, when not to comma (3+ / 0-)

comma vs semi colon.  Is this a run on sentence.  Does the period go "outside" the quotation marks or "inside" them.  All the rules of punctuation.  I guess I do okay, but I still feel like I've made some glaring mistakes in punctuation every time I write a post.  And I also spend too much time reading and re-reading the draft and fretting over that part of it.

Was "word perfect" the other popular word processing program before Microsoft "word" took over?  I seem to recall that it had a built in grammar/punctuation checker just like the built in spell checker.

I would love to find something to scan my diary draft and highlight my mistakes (and give me the necessary corrections).

Hope that this makes it a bit more clear.

by JaxDem on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:37:29 AM PST

•  Well MS Word Does Some Of This (3+ / 0-)
              Phil S 33, JaxDem, Cassandra Waites

with its "grammer" checker. Here is what a Google search found. It appears there are more than a few online services. Not sure how well they work.

And yes, WordPerfect was the other popular word processing application. Heck I know people that still use it. For things like grammar and getting a  document formatted exactly how you want, it was far superior to Word.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:41:38 AM PST

•  Ha! I'm smart, and do this a lot...... (1+ / 0-)
                JaxDem

Lots of periods at the end of whatever I'm saying, thus you can think whatever about the correct punctuation....

LOL...

•  Thanks anyway...Heck it was nice (0+ / 0-)

just to get confirmation that my memory was right about WordPerfect.

I have always thought it was far better than MS word.  I kept using it too, until folks would complain that their computer couldn't read my document.

by JaxDem on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:49:56 AM PST

•  Well ..... MS Word Puts A Ton Of Code (1+ / 0-)
                  JaxDem

in the background you can't see/edit (like when you insert a bullet). WordPerfect lets you view this code and edit it. The last ad agency I worked at was very anal about every document that went out. They all had to have the EXACT formatting down to a pixel or individual space. WordPress let us do this. MS Word, not so much.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:53:14 AM PST

•  One Last Point. There Is A Free Application (3+ / 0-)
                  JaxDem, Phil S 33, Leo in NJ

call Open Office. Heck it has its own version of Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. Some would argue it is a better suite of applications. It default saves in Microsoft formats, so no problem with other people viewing/opening your files. Heck I'd use it, I just got my MS Office suite for free via a client.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:57:27 AM PST

•  Quite good, use it all the time... (2+ / 0-)
                    webranding, Leo in NJ
                    •  Yeah I Want To Stress, If You Are On A Windows (1+ / 0-)
                      Cassandra Waites

machine there is a FREE (totally legal) application for everything. This is often the case with Macs, but not in every situation.

If you (1) can't afford and/or (2) don't want to send hundreds of dollars to a company like Microsoft or Adobe, but you still want to be able to do shit on your computer, you can do it for free.

In fact, there are a few free applications I use that I'd argue are better, let me say that again better, then the version that often cost one hundred bucks plus.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 05:07:59 AM PST

•  Google "English usage" and "Writing well" (1+ / 0-)
              JaxDem

also, "common English mistakes".

Hours of fun!

Don't let millionaires steal Social Security.
              I said, "Don't let millionaires steal Social Security!"

by Leo in NJ on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 09:20:03 AM PST

•  Thx, will chk it out.... (2+ / 0-)
        webranding, JaxDem
      •  Your word for today - "Alas" (3+ / 0-)
        webranding, Phil S 33, JaxDem

I use 'alas' as a 'sigh' word.  Alas, it didn't work, for example.  You have twice used alas, as a positive word, as in "But alas, I find this one is worth..."  Alas, was it because it cost money?

•  Thank you, Phil... (1+ / 0-)
      Phil S 33

I'll write out the check tonight and post it tomorrow ;D

by JaxDem on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 04:18:32 AM PST