View Diary: Teach Your Child How to Survive Being Arrested at School (251 comments)

•  I take it you have never been arrested... (24+ / 0-)

...or talked to the police in a tense situation? Let me reiterate the diarist's advice for us in case you ever are. Slowly, put your hands on your head. You're right in theory. Absolutely right. In practice, they could really fuck you up. And, yes, I do speak from personal experience.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 04:12:52 PM PST

•  I refuse to live in fear (2+ / 0-)
      S M Tenneshaw, kyril

of someone who is supposed to be a public servant. Period.

I can and will cooperate; I cannot and will not submit.

I was raised to be a citizen. I make a shitty subject.

"The great lie of democracy, its essential paradox, is that democracy is the first to be sacrificed when its security is at risk. Every state is totalitarian at heart; there are no ends to the cruelty it will go to to protect itself." -- Ian McDonald

by Geenius at Wrok on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 06:31:21 PM PST

•  Refusing to live in fear is good in theory, but (5+ / 0-)

if you are ever dealing with cops in a tense situation, be very careful.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 07:00:51 PM PST

•  I didn't say I wouldn't be careful (2+ / 0-)
          S M Tenneshaw, kyril

I don't believe, though, that keeping my wits necessarily entails abandoning my dignity.

I mean, you give too much ground, there'll come a point where even saying you want to talk to your lawyer will be considered grounds for beating and incarceration.

by Geenius at Wrok on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 07:25:43 PM PST

•  Yanno, sadly, (0+ / 0-)

asking for a lawyer sometimes is grounds for the police to beat you.

I've never been arrested, but my house was broken into by police (they got the wrong address - my door frame is still damaged because I haven't the money or skill to repair it).  They aimed guns at me, threw me on the floor of my house, and beat the crap out of me for asking for a search warrant and then my lawyer in that order.  I didn't get arrested because they realized they had the wrong street when the second patrol car rolled up and asked what they were doing in the wrong city. They ran out without apologizing or anything, but at least I didn't get arrested.

All knowledge is worth having.

by Noddy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 08:53:37 AM PST

•  May you never be 10 minutes from home (3+ / 0-)
        Sychotic1, Meteor Blades, kyril

After driving 4 1/2 hours through Tule fog, After the dinner meeting your boss called, After the 10 hour work day of meeting with your company's most important client, and you make a quick move to get your registration out of the glove box.

Just hope that officer friendly remembers which side is the Taser, and which side is the service pistol.

"I don't need a script to tell the truth" Ed Schultz, Feb. 4 2010