View Diary: HELL YES: Tennessee Restaurant Throws Out Anti-gay State Senator (Sponsor of "Don't Say Gay" Bill) (209 comments)

•  As I remember from my reading, in Africa the main (7+ / 0-)

way HIV is spread is through heterosexual sex -- mostly men who have multiple female partners. Women are more at risk of contracting sex from men than men are from women (once again from reading a few years ago -- not sure how up to date my info is).

If, in our efforts to win, we become as dishonest as our opponents on the right, we don't deserve to triumph.

by Tamar on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 01:47:10 PM PST

•  Plenty up-to-date (7+ / 0-)
      At the end of 2010 it was estimated that out of the 34 million adults worldwide living with HIV and AIDS, half are women ... Biologically women are twice more likely to become infected with HIV through unprotected heterosexual intercourse than men.

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 01:57:23 PM PST

•  when my oldest daughter was a teenager (9+ / 0-)

I used to make jokes that if god is punishing people by giving them AIDS, god must love lesbians the most since they're least likely to get AIDS (which, I gather, is true although there is some risk of transmission among lesbians).
        Now that daughter is a lesbian, I find it's really nice that I don't have to worry so much about either HIV or (ta dah!) accidental pregnancy!

by Tamar on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 02:50:00 PM PST

•  I tried to encourage that route... (2+ / 0-)
          lgmcp, Tamar

... with my own daughters.  Damn the luck, both of them ended up being fairly committed to being heterosexual.

*sigh

When queried about this seeming odd tack for a father to take I responded "I've yet to meet a pregnant teenage lesbian".

2.1 million Texans voted Democratic in the 2010 midterms. How many people in YOUR state voted D in 2010?

by Rick Aucoin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 02:19:51 AM PST

•  Surprisingly popular advice among modern fathers (2+ / 0-)
            Rick Aucoin, Tamar

I've noticed.   As an old lesbian auntie, I'm always being held up as a role model.

by lgmcp on Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 06:52:03 AM PST

•  The sick part is that there are groups in Africa (3+ / 0-)
      mumtaznepal, lgmcp, Cassandra Waites

that promote the belief that intercourse with virgin will cure you of AIDS.  It's a disaster, and a horror, and a crying shame.

Has the Pope had second thought about rubbers yet?

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 08:21:01 PM PST

•  not that I've heard. A colleague, a nun, told me (3+ / 0-)
        lgmcp, Evolutionary, Cassandra Waites

there is a group of nuns & priests who do give out condoms to girls and women in Africa (can't remember which country) contrary to the pope's edict, because they want to save these women's lives.

by Tamar on Mon Jan 30, 2012 at 10:30:00 PM PST