View Diary: Playing God. A Human Being is Denied a Kidney Transplant. (42 comments)

•  I just did work my ass off for single payer. (2+ / 0-)
    glorificus, FogCityJohn

Or have you not noticed my multiple diaries over the last several days and back in the summer when the bill was before the Health Committee? It still failed in the California Senate.

As for

organs will actually go to people who will be able to continue to live with them.

that is the essence of playing God.  Making decisions about the future that no one can predict with any reasonable certainty.

•  jpm, I read your many diaries on the single (1+ / 0-)
      Kitsap River

payer fight and was very disappointed (ok, probably not so much as you) that it did not pass. I thought if California could make it work, anywhere could. You did an excellent job of covering it.

However, back to this issue, even with single payer the shortage of viable organs will remain.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

by glorificus on Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 08:33:17 PM PST

•  Absolutely. (1+ / 0-)
        FogCityJohn

Until science can figure out how to induce cells to grow new organs a shortage of viable organs will probably be with us.

But that doesn't mean anyone should be treated as less than human, less than someone else, because of their immigration status, their insurance status, or their mental status.  That's what this diary is about.

•  Mr. Navarro is NOT being treated as less than (0+ / 0-)

human. Plenty of humans do not get transplants. If there was a way you could get a look into the deliberations, you might be outraged at the choices made, but that is not your call.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

by glorificus on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 03:45:55 AM PST

•  Shrug. I simply disagree with you. (1+ / 0-)
      Archival Footage

The Navarro case is a bit more unusual than the run of the mill organ transplant case, in that a kidney might be available (except, of course, do we even know the person who wants to donate is a match?  Sometimes not even your closest relatives actually are suitable donors.)

But your 'no one can predict with any reasonable certainty', is where you and they disagree.  They're apparently reasonably certain what will happen.  Now if Jesus wins the lottery, and suddenly can afford the rejection drugs, I would imagine they'd revisit their decision.

And again, I'm getting a bit tired of people writing 'outrage diaries' vilifying bioethicists, who are simply doing the best they can to see that as many people get a chance to live longer, better lives as they can, making hard and unpopular decisions at times to do so.  And not throwing close to 200k at a single case when it seems extremely likely that the actual result would be organ rejection within a very short timeframe.  An organ is only one type of resource that is a limiting factor.

•  This is just so wrong... (0+ / 0-)

"Now if Jesus wins the lottery, and suddenly can afford the rejection drugs, I would imagine they'd revisit their decision."

Sorry but really?

Is it all about the drug companies making a decent profit?

I wonder how many pills expire each year while sitting on the shelves.

I guess I better start buying my Lotto tickets since there is a very real possibility that I will need a transplant one day.

“The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway” ~ Henry Boye~

by Terranova0 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 08:10:16 AM PST

•  Going by Kitsap Rivers example, you are (0+ / 0-)

actually in much better shape - you may have a pool of 300,000+ to choose from.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

by glorificus on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 08:32:21 AM PST

•  gotta keep the faith =) (0+ / 0-)

I do not have kidney disease. I may need a liver. I'm hoping I'll be able to grow my own in a petri dish by then, actually, lol.

However, my ex-hubby's first wife died in 1963 for want of dialysis. They simply couldn't afford it.

Thankfully, even an illegal immigrant can get dialysis today.

Blessed Be.

by Terranova0 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 09:33:19 AM PST

•  Was some part of 'broken system' unclear? (0+ / 0-)

Yes, it is wrong, and yes really.  But it's the healthcare system we have, thanks to all of the people who've worked overtime to keep big pharma and big insurance firmly ensconced while shutting out single payer.

•  we agree (1+ / 0-)
            Dr Erich Bloodaxe RN

Our health care system needs repair. Single payer is the only sane answer.

As it stands now, for many people it is a Lottery and that is what is so wrong.

by Terranova0 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 02:44:08 PM PST

• Media (27)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Law (23)
  • Spam (22)
  • Education (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (19)
  • Congress (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site