View Diary: State Senator Kathleen Vinehout has filed for Wisconsin Governor. (76 comments)

•  Tom Barrett tried to win with just (6+ / 0-)

Milwaukee+Madison. Where I live, and stcroix could probably speak to this, too, the only Tom Barrett signs that were in our area were at the homes of people that had went online, and bought them from his campaign. I think I only saw two in my area. Tom Barrett only came to the 31st SD once, and was basically non-existent in Western Wisconsin. As I said, Tom Barrett tried to win with just Milwaukee+Madison. It didn't work.

Farm boy who hit the city to go to college, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), -7.88, -4.26, One in ONE MILLION that recalled Scott Walker!!!!

by WisJohn on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 06:11:56 PM PST

•  Story from Superior. (6+ / 0-)

Was sitting at a bar with some fellow Badger Insurgents from throughout the state, quaffing some cold indigenous craft beers... They said that they went to the Dem headquarters in Superior sometime around the end of September to volunteer for Lassa (running for Obey's seat against Duffy) and Barrett.

The people running the office told them to go away - why bother - all the Dems were going to lose badly.

Hell of a way to run a campaign.

The Will of the People shall be the Law of the Land. - Robert M. LaFollette

by stcroix cheesehead on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 06:25:37 PM PST

•  and no, we didn't see Barrett either. (5+ / 0-)

I saw one lawn sign. One. Walker's were all over the place. He still comes up here a lot.

The Will of the People shall be the Law of the Land. - Robert M. LaFollette

by stcroix cheesehead on Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 06:26:47 PM PST

•  There were some in Madison (1+ / 0-)
        rosarugosa

but not as many as there really should have been. Barrett came here in the campaign, but seemed too focused on big-city issues even for Madison as I recall. We voted for him, but me and most of my Democratic friends went to the polls to vote for Feingold and voted for Barrett while we were at it (and because he wasn't Scott Walker, though at least I imagined him as generic R).

Male, 21, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02, unapologetic supporter of Obama and Occupy. Tammy Baldwin for Senate and Recall Walker!

by fearlessfred14 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 12:00:23 AM PST

•  That's pretty much what we did up here. (2+ / 0-)
          rosarugosa, CentralWIGuy

We went and voted for Feingold, and Kathleen Vinehout for senator, and specifically, Tom Nelson for Lt. Gov. Tom is the son of a former pastor at my church. Years ago, little 2-year old Thomas would run up and down the aisles with his mother right behind him, while his father gave the sermon. Barrett happened to just be on the ballot, to.

by WisJohn on Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 10:56:40 AM PST

•  Barrett (1+ / 0-)
      rosarugosa

While I agree the candidate must do better outside of Milwaukee and Madison I think it is important to note that Barrett beat Walker by 90,000 in the city of Milwaukee and is obviously well-known and liked here.  Obama won the city by 156,000.  By comparison Kloppenburg, with much lower turn-out , won the city by 42,000 votes and Doyle in 2006 won by 74,000.  Falk is not well-known in Milwaukee and I would guess that the vast majority of voters here have never heard of Vineout.  Not thrilled by Barrett running but he has the potential to beat Walker by over 100,000 in the city of Milwaukee alone.  Don't believe that anyone else thinking of running would get close to that number.  He can get out the vote here and I believe whoever the candidate is will have to beat Walker by at least 200,000 votes in Dane and Milwaukee County combined.  Just my thoughts.

•  Barrett Ran a poor campaign. (3+ / 0-)

Response around here was "Meh" to Barrett. He didn't appear to want the job, but Obama talked him into running.

"We are slow to realize that democracy is a life; and involves continual struggle." ~ "Fighting Bob" - Robert M. LaFollette Sr.

by Sand Hill Crane on Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 12:30:15 AM PST