View Diary: A Member of the "Professional Left" (344 comments)

•  It's a bit more complicated than that (11+ / 0-)

For one thing anyone who wants to spread the socialist meme should be referred to Jefferson's 1824 letter to Henry Lee. I mentioned it in another thread. Karl Marx was 6 years old in 1824. I doubt he had any influence on Jefferson's thinking.

I'm beginning to think there's a subculture here who do not want the "better democrats" we speak of.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 04:23:36 PM PST

•  i'm familiar with that subculture... it seems as (3+ / 0-)
      Just Bob, Brown Thrasher, pgm 01

though they only want their one guy elected, Congress be damned... sigh....

Hope has two beautiful daughters; their names are Anger and Courage. Anger at the way things are and Courage to see that they do not remain as they are. --St Augustine

by poligirl on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 05:09:55 PM PST

•  I feel it goes beyond that (3+ / 0-)
        poligirl, Brown Thrasher, pgm 01

I think there are some here who want to drive as many people out of the Democratic Party as they possibly can.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 05:31:23 PM PST

•  One of those people HR'd the tip jar n/t (2+ / 0-)
          poligirl, Brown Thrasher

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 05:34:30 PM PST

•  Are you talking about (2+ / 1-)
          Just Bob, foufou
          Hidden by:
          Brown Thrasher

Unfortunately, President Obama doesn't have time to read DK, so contact him here: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500 (Postcards, not letters! Please give your email address.) -- 202-456-1111 -- FAX: 202-456-2461

by My Left Behind on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 06:24:38 PM PST

•  That deserves a rec (2+ / 0-)
            poligirl, chipmo

How many of the HRs were from people who didn't notice the snark tag?

Unfortunately, this place is beginning to look like RedState. There seems to be a contingent here who thinks half of the members have been lurking in deep cover for years, worked for Obama (just to be convincing), contributed to the Obama campaign (with Rove's money), and can offer authoritative links to supporting documentation because they've been so well trained at American Crossroads and that evil IMF.

Not only that, but if one person has a crisis of conscience then anyone who understands that crisis is to be attacked and assumed to be of the same mind.

Now I have a problem. It's a real dilemma. I said a couple of snarky things above. Do I need a snark tag?

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:06:34 PM PST

•  HR for continued CT trollery. (1+ / 0-)
            poligirl

I don't care if you chose to hide, after the fact, behind  a "snark tag". That "diary" was disgusting, disruptive behavior on your part — & here you go promoting it again.

Tell Congress: DON'T BREAK THE INTERNET! Learn about the OPEN Act.

by Brown Thrasher on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 07:54:07 PM PST

•  I hadn't seen the diary (2+ / 0-)
              poligirl, chipmo

It does describe what we're seeing here today, but I'm unsure of which role I've been assigned.

I suppose it's possible that some people missed the snark tag and just assume we're all Rove minions here. I certainly do feel I've been treated that way today.

Have I just been lucky to have avoided most of it up until now?

Is the behavior we've seen today an everyday occurrence?

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 09:42:24 PM PST

•  MLB's diary (1+ / 0-)
                poligirl

...constituted either conspiracy theory or vile slander against other Kossacks (likely both), & only after letting it sit & spin on the site for several hours — letting it inflame & deceive enough people that it got republished on several other sites — did he add his "snark tag" as a final "gotcha".

In any case, MLB's link is clearly an attempt on his part to keep his nasty little pie-war going — hence my hide-rate. (For the same reason, I'd humbly suggest removing your rec, if not helping to hide the comment from view as well.)

Tell Congress: DON'T BREAK THE INTERNET! Learn about the OPEN Act.

by Brown Thrasher on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 10:06:44 PM PST

•  I don't want to get in the middle of (0+ / 0-)

someone else's pie fight, but I found it to be descriptive of what we're seeing now. If he added the snark tag only after an uproar then shame on him. However I wasn't offended so I'll allow my rec to stand. I do hope that doesn't offend you. It's so often a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation around here lately. I hate it when that happens.

Somebody Else's Problem (also known as Someone Else's Problem or SEP) is an effect that causes people to ignore matters that are generally important to a group but may not seem specifically important to the individual. Author Douglas Adams' description of the effect, which he playfully ascribed to a physical "SEP field," has helped to make it a generally recognized phenomenon. The label is now widely used to focus public attention on matters that might have been overlooked and, less commonly, to identify concerns that a depressed individual should ignore. It has also been employed as trivial shorthand to describe factors that are "out of scope" in the current context.
                  I claim the depression exemption.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 11:35:08 PM PST

•  Obama is a better Democrat than Romney (1+ / 0-)
      foufou

and Obama is our candidate, so I don't see any point in Grayson's attacking Gibbs and the White House over an old remark spoken, justifiably, out of frustration with certain members of their party.
      I don't know what you mean about "spreading the socialist meme."  The meme has already been successfully spread, because 55% of likely voters still think that Obama is a socialist. And since conservatives outnumber liberals two to one, I think Grayson needs to try to reach out to a few moderates instead of throwing stones, or he's going to lose again, and I love Alan Grayson, so it pains me to write that.

by My Left Behind on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 06:22:47 PM PST

•  socialist meme (1+ / 0-)
        My Left Behind

There are some even here who equate the political left to socialism and we've seen some of that today. I try to provide a Jefferson quote to defeat that meme. If you missed that, I'm more than happy to post it again.

"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests. In every country these two parties exist, and in every one where they are free to think, speak, and write, they will declare themselves. Call them, therefore, Liberals and Serviles, Jacobins and Ultras, Whigs and Tories, Republicans and Federalists, Aristocrats and Democrats, or by whatever name you please, they are the same parties still and pursue the same object. The last one of Aristocrats and Democrats is the true one expressing the essence of all." --Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824.
        Please note that Karl Marx was 6 years old in 1824. He had no influence on Jefferson's thinking.

I am a democrat. I am also a Democrat. I question if those two statements are as closely related as they once were.

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2012 at 09:55:43 PM PST