View Diary: The GOP's war on religion (or 'two can play that game') (124 comments)

•  Since kids can't get pregnant, (5+ / 0-)

priests see no need for birth control.

Seriously though, I'm amazed at how out of touch many devout Catholics are. I know a couple who believe in that abstinence crap. Their kids are unattractive and socially inept (to put it mildly). So they think refraining from sexual activity is doable. My daughter is socially active and quite pretty. But they just can't see things from my perspective. There is no way to reach them. Just plain sad.

Romney 2012 - The Bourgeois Are People, My Friend!

by kitebro on Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 04:07:42 PM PST

•  Most USA Catholics poll for supporting (2+ / 0-)
      mijita, beltane

this measure, btw.

Lead story in my OND from last evening.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 04:49:09 PM PST

•  Most Catholics are not devout. (0+ / 0-)

Thankfully.

Romney 2012 - The Bourgeois Are People, My Friend!

by kitebro on Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 05:26:56 PM PST

•  The Catholics I know are highly devout (1+ / 0-)
          Sarenth

However, they don't believe that the formal hierarchy under the Pope is in touch with their contemporary application of Catholic beliefs as much, these days. Something of a reformed stance.

by wader on Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 09:04:36 PM PST

•  I know two who are devout. (0+ / 0-)

The rest just go through the motions. I went to Catholic school for 12 years. My kid went for 9. I am not unaware of the world of Catholicism. Not by a long-shot.

Romney 2012 - The Bourgeois Are People, My Friend!

by kitebro on Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 11:07:31 AM PST

•  Just because they poll for it doesn't mean (0+ / 0-)

we should do it. I'm tired of caving in to what the majority of religious people want.

•  My post had nothing to do with caving in (1+ / 0-)
          Sarenth

to the majority of a religious faction.

It merely added a context that those identifying as Catholic in the USA do not agree with the sociopolitical stance taken by their clergy's hierarchy which was diaried here, and instead these Catholics side with the majority of all USA citizens in supporting the new policy which requires coverage for contraception by all employers in most cases.

by wader on Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 09:02:22 PM PST