View Diary: Is the U.S. Constitution Too Obsolete to Guide Us into the 21st Century? w/Poll (88 comments)

•  Being a little defensive there? (5+ / 0-)
    Pluto, blueness, Mnemosyne, Avila, koNko

Different people come and came for different reasons. The bottom line is most people migrate to improve their lives. I am sure you have noticed how migrations have changed over time. You don't see Europeans flocking to the US the way they used to. That does not mean that it can not change again. Many Americans also leave the US if they think they can do better elsewhere granted that a lot more people come than leave. And some of us stay for that irrational feeling called love. Migration works pretty much like the law of equalization of pressures in most instances. People move from places where they feel a great deal of pressure (economic pressure, social pressure, political pressure) to places where they feel less pressure or think they will feel less pressure. Sometimes they discover that what they thought does not match reality.

•  Right. I don't think anyone chooses (7+ / 0-)

their destination based on a close reading of the intended country's constitution. I think we can agree that plenty f countries have way better constitutions and way worse observance of it. China assures freedom of religion and speech, for example.

Fructose is a liver poison. Stop eating it today.

by Anne Elk on Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 03:39:21 PM PST

•  The best way to choose a country (10+ / 0-)

...to emigrate to is to pick one with the highest tax rates. That way you can be assured you will enjoy the highest possible standard of living for a working wage, good education, excellent health care, low crime, low poverty, and beautiful public spaces.

"The answer is never the answer. I’ve never seen anybody really find the answer, but they think they have. So they stop thinking." - Ken Kesey

by Pluto on Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 03:59:01 PM PST

•  that is wisdom. (5+ / 0-)
          Avila, koNko, Pluto, blueness, Mnemosyne

Pluto I am glad this diary went over well and didnt turn into the mess it might have become.

for me as an outside observer, I have thought for a while now that the one thing that could radically alter (and improve) the American´s internal outlook is if they adopted proportional representation instead of the archaic majority rule.

it would directly break the hegemony corporate money has over political expression, as it would not be necessary anymore to have 50%+1 from the start to exert influence.

proportional representation doesnt prevent peoples from doing stupid things to themselves and has its own drawbacks but it ensures that one can change the state that a country is in from the bottom up. and thats what Americans appear to have made wellnigh impossible for themselves as it is.

•  This is such a good point (2+ / 0-)
            blueness, Mnemosyne

I've give that some though. Some of the best and sanest nations have in the range of 7 parties. I think 5 would be the minimum for a truly representational government -- over a longer arc of time.

We actually have 5 parties in America -- strong ones -- but we would never face that reality, let alone formalize it.

by Pluto on Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 12:46:37 PM PST

•  You will also get (2+ / 0-)
          Pluto, Mnemosyne

$500,000 for a 3 bedroom house (my buddy paid 820,000 for a 2 bedroom apartment close to the CBD), $30.00 haircuts, $25.00 for a medium name brand pizza, medium sized Transformer for your son $35.00, 4 door Ford sedan $50,000, a 2004 Triumph SpeedMaster motorcycle will set you back $10,000 (which is more than it cost new) monthly electricity bill $350.00, monthly gas bill $200.00, $8.00 for a 2qt tupper ware jug, $500.00 for a portable air conditioner, $450.00 for a portable gas space heater, $40.00 to $60.00 for a case of beer, $1.00 to $2.00 for a litre of gasoline, $25.00 for a white cotton t-shirt and the list goes on.

I am currently in Perth Western Australia where the median income is A$72,800 which is a nice salary. But in American dollars that 72 grand only has a purchasing power of roughly USD $48,000.

The schools here are better, I won't say that the health care is better but it is certainly cheaper. There are a lot of assaults and robberies, there is poverty but not as prominent and the public spaces are cared for adequately. I make more than the median wage and after all of the necessary expenses (and a little put aside to save for the $6000.00 airfare to get back to the states for a visit)  that go with a family of four I am basically living pay check to pay check.

I moved to Australia because I couldn't find enough work in the states. So at least now I am employed, I am with my family and am making ends meet, but I would much rather be in America making $60,000 (average for my line of work) a year regardless of the cost of health care, the crime rate, or the nice public spaces. It is easy to live cheap in America because everything is considerably less expensive. You can't live cheaply here because everything is expensive, food, clothing, housing, you name it, the price is 2 if not 3 times as high.

Any power that government amasses will not be relinquished and any right we give up we give up forever.

by oldpunk on Thu Feb 09, 2012 at 10:36:28 PM PST

•  But that is good (4+ / 0-)
            oldpunk, Pluto, blueness, Mnemosyne

Because it is more sustainable. I'd argue that the US is too cheap and unsustainable.

Taxation can be a form of enforced savings and spending, depends on the place and the return I suppose.

Of course, if one is a die-hard consumer with adequate funds, the US is pretty much a good deal, but so many consumer seem to be short of funds these days.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 02:44:53 AM PST

•  You may not have picked the right nations (3+ / 0-)
            blueness, oldpunk, Mnemosyne

Australia, too, is a recent genocide nation -- so life will always have a shadow-cast there. An older nation with a high tax rate offers much more.

by Pluto on Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50:06 PM PST

•  Indeed. (1+ / 0-)
        Mnemosyne

And Chinese exercise that speech and religion quite vigorously through ever widening cracks in the wall.

Chinese also excercise freedom from religion (with a little help from the government), and increasingly, freedom from government (good and bad, with a little help from their friends and/or partners in crime).

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 02:39:40 AM PST