View Diary: Senate Republicans push to let any employer deny coverage for any health service on 'moral' grounds (288 comments)

•  Actually, this would be great for their PACs (25+ / 0-)

Imagine if insurance companies could just deny whichever treatments they found morally objectionable to their loss ratios?
      Ok, they already do that.
      But now imagine they now have a nice shiny law saying it's OK to do it!
      I see big (though hidden) donations flowing in for this one.

•  Deny (6+ / 0-)

pregnancy/childbirth coverage to unwed mothers - that would save a lot! Heck, deny cancer treatment too, because God is all-powerful, if if God didn't want you to get cancer, he wouldn't have given it to you. Right, Senator McConnell?

•  How dare you mock this? As a believer in Life (15+ / 0-)

I never have been comnfortable paying for insurance that kills what God created like every bacteria and virus and cancer cell. Who are we to say what life is precious in God's eyes and I am so relieved to be relieved of supporting this sinful destruction.

My sister has a huge sister company. It is her deep moral belief that God's will be done and it is sinful to try to alter or affect God's will in any way. It makes her so ashamed to be paying to subsidize these people who think they know better than God and try to alter his will. It has made her soul feel dirty

Another sister with a bigger sister company, well she is enLightened and she knows that illness is a sign of God's displeasure with that person. To be healed they must pray and do holy stuff to see if they can win his pleasure and be healed. Otherwise, too bad, so sad. Believe me, she is warm hearted but she doesn't want to get between a person and God forgiving them.

Now my brother with the BIG big brother company, some might call him selfish but he would beg to differ. He feels it is morally wrong to make all these whining leeches (as he humorously calls his workers) even more dependent on  him and his hard earned money. It is just wrong. Makes them weak, makes them feel all impotent. He wants to say no to empower his workers for moral reasons.

I have similar such siblings. It is not about the money. Our moral stances are all righteous and moral as can be, we are really good

You amoral liberals need to shower and quit accusing us really good people of crap like that.
        Oh and amen

•  You need help girl. Pray to your god immediately! (2+ / 0-)
          honeybabe, LSophia

If you get cancer and there is a cure, I'm pretty confident you will take it.  It is human nature to save your own life.  It is inherent in our genes.
          Also, you are one wigged out person.  You need professional help, and quickly.  Make that phone call now.

•  Frightening (2+ / 0-)
          Agent99, joynow

this is so funny and yet scary because it's a completely logical set of demands based on the now-established principle that employers must not be required to do or pay for anything they find objectionable per their morals or beliefs. Say their religion teaches that women do not belong in the workforce; they should be at home tending to the kids, so being forced to hire women is an affront to their religious freedom, they should be allowed to put up a sign saying "men only need apply" and be done with it. Any kind of discrimination can be justified in this manner, if we are going to let religions dictate policy.

On the other hand, I am in favor of getting employers out of the business of providing health insurance. I do not want to be dependent on my employer for it. I have no choice in what we get, they provide the policy, we are stuck with it. This also gets them into the idea that they now need to control and butt their noses into the staffs' personal lives, with "wellness programs" and other invasive practices all based on the justification that because they pay for our medical insurance, they have a vested interest in our lives beyond the workplace.

I hate the whole set up. I want to be able to buy my own independent insurance or get into a public plan for an affordable amount and I don't want my job to have any role in that. So in a way, I see this whole fight now as another possible opening to getting a public option, and getting the exchanges up and running without delay.

If employers do not want to provide these plans, then fine, they cannot object to alternatives whereby they don't have to be involved, and the employees take care of it themselves. We don't expect our employers to buy our groceries or our houses or our cars for us, they don't need to be buying and deciding on our health insurance either.

Give employees the money they're spending on it, and give us alternatives to buy our own insurance based on each person's situation, budget, and needs. And make sure that includes non-profit and public plans as well as private insurers. Then employers can stop whining about what kind of medical care we get. Which they have no business being involved in to begin with as far as I'm concerned.

But overall, despite this possible silver lining to the current issue, I'm very unhappy with the way this is all setting the precedent of religion -- the christian religion, that is -- setting public policy in this country. I find it very disturbing.

•  Yep, what about blood transfusions not being (0+ / 0-)

covered by religious employers who don't believe in them.

Occupy- Your Mind. - No better friend, no worse enemy. -8.75, -6.21

by Thousandwatts on Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 08:05:43 AM PST

•  There are churches that do have these beliefs (1+ / 0-)
            CS in AZ

so as mocking as I was it was also semi-real
            rubio talked about his bill not requiring "proof" of religious convictions or moral beliefs so even if someone doesn't go to such a church yet they sure could form one in their mind to save some money

•  Unregulated capitalism is a "religion" - No? nt (4+ / 0-)
      •  we need (0+ / 0-)

single payer now!

•  two words=Terri Schaivo (31+ / 0-)

They are doing it again.
      The don't know when to stop.

The more I think about this, the madder I get.
      I don't think I am the only woman out here
      feeling that way.

My only fear is fearful dems who would go along with this.
      Obama's solution is a good one.
      I hope they stick to their guns.

Today's problems are yesterday's solutions. Don Beck

by Sherri in TX on Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 06:09:39 PM PST

•  And this, in my mind, (10+ / 0-)

is a million times worse than Terri Schiavo, since it affects, well, pretty much everyone of the female persuasion.

•  What scares me is that the Baby Boom generation, (4+ / 0-)

many of whom are past the age of needing contraception (well the women anyway), are going to fall for this crap and not defend a woman's right to determine what she does with her own body.

I'm past menopause (yeah, I know...I look so much younger) but I don't want to see my children's generation saddled with unwanted pregnancies. Every child should be wanted.

I hope the generation that grew up with accessible birth control doesn't try to deny that right to younger women.

•  Schiavo was the moment the Bush admin (18+ / 0-)

seriously lost its mojo.  A whole bunch of conservatives who had dealt with similar issues suddenly lost their taste for the theocracy they found themselves living in.

Six months before this, my sister ended up in a persistent vegetative state similar to what Terri Schiavo was in.  My family, all of whom are very conservative except me, had to decide what to do about this.  My parents, who are less religious right than less-government-is-best conservatives, had a tough time figuring out when to let go.  My brother, an evangelical right-to-lifer, was pretty clear that we should wait a LONG time before pulling the plug.  When my parents, after 6 weeks of doctors assuring us that my sister was gone (and six weeks of nurses being even more adamant about this, which actually carried as much or more weight with us)  decided that it was time, they couldn't tell my brother until after the decision had been made, because they didn't want my brother's religious beliefs to intrude on what was a very difficult decision for them.

Then, just a few months later, this very public case (Schiavo) ripped open all our healing scabs.  My parents were deeply appalled to find the government intruding in what should have been a very private family decision.  And they got it.

And in 2008, my dad "confessed" that his grandfather had been a delegate at the Dem convention in 1932.  And agreed with me that the Republican ticket was a disaster and acknowledged that the only one of the nominees he would probably like was Joe Biden.

This year, my mom is going to vote for Obama (my dad died in 2009).  Reluctantly.  And then she is going to vote for Democrats for lower offices because "Your President Obama needs help from congress if he is going to be able to get anything done, even though I don't like some of his socialistic ideas".  I reminded her gently that he was HER President Obama too, and most of his "sociaistic" ideas were going to enormously help her grandchildren, her children, and her, and weren't "socialistic" at all.

Then she said, "Well the 1% really needs to pay their share."  This is an elderly woman in rural Ohio who doesn't use the internet.  Occupy Wall Street even got to my mom.

"The next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please, pay attention." Molly Ivins

by janmtairy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 07:00:13 PM PST

•  We went through a similar situation (9+ / 0-)

in 1970, when my dad had a massive heart attack and was essentially "dead" when the ambulance showed up, but they "revived" him but he was in an irreversible coma for 3 months. The doctor at the VA where he was transferred (so that we wouldn't lose our home due to bankruptcy -- that was in the era of sane Republican representatives who helped us cut through VA red tape) advised a slow withdrawal of nourishment through his feeding tube. My mom was worried though and sought counsel from her Lutheran minister. Now, I had run-ins with that man when I was a rebellious teen, but I will always appreciate his reply to my mom; he told her that as far as he was concerned, my father died that day in April and was already in Heaven, and what was left was just an empty shell. My mom agreed to the plan, and we were finally able to bury him end of July.

(I was only 11 at the time; I heard all of this many years later from my mom and older siblings.)

Now to try to end the wars we ask our gay and straight soldiers to fight. -- Chris Hayes (modified)

by Cali Scribe on Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 07:11:11 PM PST

•  I'm sorry your family had to go through this (1+ / 0-)
            LSophia

but I'm glad your mom's minister was helpful to her.  That was a perfect response from him.  11 is really early to lose your dad, let alone have him in limbo for months.  That must have been awful.

by janmtairy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 07:18:54 PM PST

•  Left me with some scars (3+ / 0-)
              janmtairy, LSophia, alizard

that haven't fully healed -- I have a lot of abandonment issues, and if my own spouse is late coming home or even just delays coming in from the car, I worry. (There was one time he was really late and I was frantic -- turned out he went to a local bookstore and fell asleep in one of the quiet back corners, and didn't wake till one of the employees discovered him. Life with him is always an adventure.)

by Cali Scribe on Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 07:24:27 PM PST

•  A Fox News Poll... (3+ / 0-)
      acnetj, alizard, Scott Campbell

came out a couple days ago.  Having "the Obama health care law" (as the Affordable Care Act was described in the question) require employer health insurance to cover contraception received remarkably wide-spread approval.  Overall support was 61% to 34%.  Independents approved 58% to 34%. Support generally among all age groups that have a use for contraception was overwhelming.  The demographic groups that did not support the requirement were self-identified Republicans, Tea Party, conservative and age 65+.  This issue is huge loser for Rs, and I hope they keep it in the forefront as unemployment falls between now and November.