View Diary: Announcing Operation Hilarity: Let's keep the GOP clown show going! (641 comments)

•  wow. enemies. nice. nt (0+ / 0-)

WHY IS EASIER TO BELIEVE THAT 150,000,000 AMERICANS ARE BEING LAZY, RATHER THAN THAT 400 ARE BEING GREEDY?

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 02:56:21 PM PST

•  If you don't think we have enemies, (3+ / 0-)
      G2geek, Phoenix Woman, aufklaerer

then you really don't think very well at all.

Ceterum censeo Factionem Republicanam esse delendam.

by journeyman on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:18:32 PM PST

•  yes, ENEMIES. Bitter and deadly ones too. (5+ / 0-)

And if you don't think so, try telling it to the dispossessed and disenfranchised, the unemployed and unhoused, the medical insurance casualties and the Iraq war casualties.

You must be in a pretty comfy situation if you don't think the Republicans can threaten your life, your liberty, and your pursuit even of basic necessities such as food and a roof.

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 07:26:38 PM PST

•  such baseless assumptions. such unfocused anger. (0+ / 0-)

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 08:18:36 PM PST

•  such absence of a coherent counter-arguement. (3+ / 0-)
          journeyman, aufklaerer, nominalize

You haven't refuted my point that there are millions of Americans to whom the entire Republican pogrom, er, uh, program, is a very real existential threat.

In fact it seems we agree on that, based on your sig.

And anger, as well as hate, are merely distractions that causes potentially fatal errors in battle.  This I'm told is taught to service members as part of basic training.

I view covert ops as technical interventions or rolling experiments that self-correct as they proceed.  Somewhat in the manner of troubleshooting a switching system.

Yes, and you're welcome to call me inhuman for saying so.  About that you might even be right, because, well, I suppose I should reveal something.

I'm not from here.  I'm a member of the Gray Council sent to this planet to observe the humans and assist in minimalistic interventions toward the goal of preventing you from extincting yourselves.

Our space exploration program has found a number of cases of planets similar to yours, in situations similar to yours.  The way they usually end up is that population overshoot of resources leads to natural plagues and biological warfare, that typically destroy technological civilizations.  But since those civilizations have used up all the "easy to get" resources, once they are knocked down to an earlier stage of technology, they can't get at the remaining resources.  The end comes swiftly after that, and believe me it is ugly.

Although our galaxy is teeming with life, intelligent life and complex civilizations are not as common as you might expect.  So we believe there is a duty to conserve those intelligent species that exist, much as you would practice wildlife conservation by preserving habitat.

So you'll have to trust me when I say this is for your own benefit.  The Gray Council does not intervene lightly, and frankly I miss my colleagues on the colony ship, with whom my contact is limited by the constraints of this assignment.  However in approximately six of your years I'll be able to wrap up and hand in my report.  Here's to hoping it ends with an optimistic conclusion.

Now please forget what I've just told you, as it would do none of us any good if it spread any further.

by G2geek on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 10:57:15 PM PST

•  know what's moral? (4+ / 0-)

Not killing them.

Not engaging in violence and calling it politically justified.

Not engaging in looting & wrecking and calling it politically justified (asshole Black Bloc types notwithstanding, and they can eat shit and go to hell).

Morality is being nonviolent when your enemies are trying to kill you slowly, destroy your life, or just milk you or bleed you for every last drop until you keel over like a dog with flea anemia.

But that doesn't mean being weak, or wallowing in victimhood, or even (except for the most hard-core progressive Christian pacifists) turning the other cheek.

by G2geek on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 07:34:09 PM PST