View Diary: Okay, not that I want to dis Kos... (109 comments)

•  unpersuasive. we can do all of the above. (3+ / 0-)
    TooFolkGR, Clem Yeobright, Miggles

I ♥ President Barack Obama.

by ericlewis0 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:31:35 PM PST

•  Yeah Nearly Every One of Us (2+ / 0-)
      ericlewis0, Clem Yeobright

Could get off our lazy asses right now and go work for Democrats instead of talking about Kos' post... but we're not.  The $5 that he's asking for is about an equal tradeoff... Peter is not being robbed to pay Paul.

"I call them, the "weenie liberals" -- who would rather lose and keep the high ground, than win using whatever legal means are available." -- Kos

by TooFolkGR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:33:49 PM PST

•  He isn't getting five cents from me (24+ / 0-)

This is a juvenile prank, nothing more. It will harm the Daily Kos brand by putting us in the same league as James O'Keefe. It will give the Republicans something concrete to brand us with. And those are the least of my concerns. Supporting Republicans is not a joke or a game. Supporting Santorum, even less so.

But I can't stop others from wasting their money on a cause that will harm them, all I can do is shake my head at the idiocy of it all.

•  Well Kos Did This Same Thing Last Time (5+ / 0-)

...and I don't remember it destroying the brand or anything like that.   As you correctly state, there is pretty much nothing you can do.

by TooFolkGR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:44:28 PM PST

•  Personally... (8+ / 0-)

I am not saying it destroys the brand or anything dramatic like that. I am just saying there are better things.

Maybe let me be more specific. If you look at some of the local candidates running as Progressive Majority candidates, a few hundred dollars could make all the difference in the world. If DKos put this effort into one or a few of them, running for judicial offices, school board, port authority, what ever, the impact could be really significant. Much more so than this lark.

Why screw with the already insane Repub circus when you could put the same effort into a few local elections and actually probably win them?

That is just one example. There are Congressional races that will be so close those few hundred dollars could make a difference. Etc.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:56:21 PM PST

•  I Agree With That (4+ / 0-)

but I also don't believe anyone who does participate would reduce the amount they are donating to other causes to chip in $5 for this.

by TooFolkGR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:57:21 PM PST

•  Maybe... (8+ / 0-)

But I know I am near running on empty when it comes to finances these days. And I HAVE a job. But yes, if people can cover all bases AND do Markos's little lark I am fine with that. But I just feel that Markos has some real pull. He can bring in some real money, unlike someone like me. I wish he would use that pull for something better. Throwing out the idea is one thing. Fundraising for it when so many down ticket candidates could use that money and his help is another.

Just saying.

If this gets traction you won't see me moaning much.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:06:12 PM PST

•  But those are better things TO YOU. If other (0+ / 0-)

people want to have fun at the expense of the GOP, then more power to them.  Everyone contributes in the way that they can.  That's still a positive for our side.  In fact, I reckon $5 donated to hilarity will probably go a hell of a lot further than $5 to the DNC.

Having a policy does not mean receiving care. -- Tzimisce

by Miggles on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:51:39 PM PST

•  Welll (2+ / 0-)
                tb92, cotterperson

As I say elsewhere, if people want to do it, so be it. But I have known many candidates around the country running for local office who would be desperate for that $5 and the impact of that $5 would be higher than EITHER the DNC or Hilarity or buying my lunch.

I disagree with this as a use of Kos's and our time. But then again if it took off I would be as amused as the next guy. So I certainly won't be chastising folks who jump on it, just hoping to make people realize there are thousands of great candidates out there who could use $5 to make our schools better, our courts better, our ports better, etc.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:58:09 PM PST

•  Agree. I wish more of us would donate a la carte (1+ / 0-)
                  mole333

to the stuff that we care about, like what Act Blue lets us do.  There's no reason for us little guys to be donating to top down, non grass roots organizations like the DNC or the 2009-2011 version of OFA.

Having a policy does not mean receiving care. -- Tzimisce

by Miggles on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 05:06:13 PM PST

•  Can I convince you... (2+ / 0-)
          Onomastic, cotterperson

To give $5+ to one of the efforts I link to??? Or two...or three?

Just asking.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:52:53 PM PST

•  Of course! (1+ / 0-)
            mole333

But I'm a bit tapped at the moment, Working America just came by and canvassed me and I was so impressed, I gave them all my monthly donation money. They were targeting my local rep for a letter writing campaign to get him to support raising the minimum wage.

•  It's beneath my integrity to play around with this (3+ / 0-)
          ladyjames, Tamar, jan4insight

I've never voted for a Republican out of integrity and ideology. I don't want to be associated with that sort of behavior. It really is juvenile.

Part of the problem with our entire voting system is people not taking their votes seriously enough.

I won't contribute further to that mindset.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 07:32:08 PM PST

•  Well... (4+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, TooFolkGR, cotterperson, am

Some of us do. But if you can donate to Operation Hilarity and at least a few of what I outline (or similar) then more power to you. I am helping some local campaigns, donating monthly to Progressive Majority, recently gave to the Wisconsin Recalls, will be running again for Democratic County Committee against the local corrupt political machine, and supporting my wife's dojo. While working, raising my kids, and trying to help out my family across the country because my mother and brother are increasingly unable to cope.

So yeah...I have to prioritize my efforts and my money and time. If you have the time and money to spare for this effort, by all means do so! But most people I know do not.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:48:51 PM PST

•  We could get off our asses and not read DKOS (2+ / 0-)
        mole333, Larsstephens

at all I suppose.
        Or not watch a TV show and go to work for Democrats.
        Or not stop off at the Starbucks and go to work for Democrats instead.
        Or not jog at lunchtime and go to work for Democrats instead.
        Or not take our kids to the park and go to work for Democrats instead.
        Or not call our mothers because we could be working for Democrats instead.
        All the things we feel like doing but shouldn't because I could be working for Democrats instead.
        Sorry to be a "belly acher" but Kos's idea is not acceptable.

"You can die for Freedom, you just can't exercise it"

by shmuelman on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 05:59:50 PM PST

•  Heh... (2+ / 0-)
          shmuelman, SoCalSal

Believe me, where my ass is is always a huge issue in my life. Including running for Democratic County Committee every 2 years.

DKos is a hard habit to break and though I have come close to breaking it from time to time, I am not sure it is wise to break it. But we have to choose what we take from DKos, and I feel Markos is off base on this one. Now if it makes a splash, fine. But think of the impact he could have if he chose a half a dozen of the Progressive Majority candidate and asked us all to donate $5 to each of them. I bet they'd all then win partly due to his help and they would help form the next generation of progressive candidates for higher office.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 06:09:20 PM PST

•  GOOD (2+ / 0-)
      Amber6541, cotterperson

Then please donate to all!!! I can't. I donate to some key races. To Progressive Majority monthly. And to my wife's dojo that has been giving self defense classes to women in areas where there have been sexual assaults. So I am perhaps more limited than you.

If you can give to all, more power to you and I thank you!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought