View Diary: Okay, not that I want to dis Kos... (109 comments)

•  Well Kos Did This Same Thing Last Time (5+ / 0-)

...and I don't remember it destroying the brand or anything like that.   As you correctly state, there is pretty much nothing you can do.

"I call them, the "weenie liberals" -- who would rather lose and keep the high ground, than win using whatever legal means are available." -- Kos

by TooFolkGR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:44:28 PM PST

•  Personally... (8+ / 0-)

I am not saying it destroys the brand or anything dramatic like that. I am just saying there are better things.

Maybe let me be more specific. If you look at some of the local candidates running as Progressive Majority candidates, a few hundred dollars could make all the difference in the world. If DKos put this effort into one or a few of them, running for judicial offices, school board, port authority, what ever, the impact could be really significant. Much more so than this lark.

Why screw with the already insane Repub circus when you could put the same effort into a few local elections and actually probably win them?

That is just one example. There are Congressional races that will be so close those few hundred dollars could make a difference. Etc.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:56:21 PM PST

•  I Agree With That (4+ / 0-)

but I also don't believe anyone who does participate would reduce the amount they are donating to other causes to chip in $5 for this.

by TooFolkGR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 03:57:21 PM PST

•  Maybe... (8+ / 0-)

But I know I am near running on empty when it comes to finances these days. And I HAVE a job. But yes, if people can cover all bases AND do Markos's little lark I am fine with that. But I just feel that Markos has some real pull. He can bring in some real money, unlike someone like me. I wish he would use that pull for something better. Throwing out the idea is one thing. Fundraising for it when so many down ticket candidates could use that money and his help is another.

Just saying.

If this gets traction you won't see me moaning much.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:06:12 PM PST

•  But those are better things TO YOU. If other (0+ / 0-)

people want to have fun at the expense of the GOP, then more power to them.  Everyone contributes in the way that they can.  That's still a positive for our side.  In fact, I reckon $5 donated to hilarity will probably go a hell of a lot further than $5 to the DNC.

Having a policy does not mean receiving care. -- Tzimisce

by Miggles on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:51:39 PM PST

•  Welll (2+ / 0-)
          tb92, cotterperson

As I say elsewhere, if people want to do it, so be it. But I have known many candidates around the country running for local office who would be desperate for that $5 and the impact of that $5 would be higher than EITHER the DNC or Hilarity or buying my lunch.

I disagree with this as a use of Kos's and our time. But then again if it took off I would be as amused as the next guy. So I certainly won't be chastising folks who jump on it, just hoping to make people realize there are thousands of great candidates out there who could use $5 to make our schools better, our courts better, our ports better, etc.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: That's why we pay taxes. I Had A Thought

by mole333 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 04:58:09 PM PST

•  Agree. I wish more of us would donate a la carte (1+ / 0-)
            mole333

to the stuff that we care about, like what Act Blue lets us do.  There's no reason for us little guys to be donating to top down, non grass roots organizations like the DNC or the 2009-2011 version of OFA.

Having a policy does not mean receiving care. -- Tzimisce