View Diary: Operation Hilarity is No Joke and it's Certainly Not Funny (158 comments)

•  Not true. It's the design. It's not fraud. (2+ / 0-)
    Loge, Cedwyn

There are no legal repercussions possible.

It's not even unethical.

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 07:37:13 PM PST

•  Depends on your ethics (2+ / 0-)
      Mets102, mahakali overdrive

but it is not illegal in the states that allow it.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 07:42:33 PM PST

•  The means justify the ends. Nt (0+ / 0-)

The study of law was certainly a strange discipline. -- Yukio Mishima

by Loge on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 10:01:06 PM PST

•  No. They do not (2+ / 0-)

That depends on individual interpretations of ethics.

Most people believe that they should vote for the candidate who best represents them and their interests, or for measures which do the same.

You check the one which fits most closely to your ideals.

That doesn't mean this is a perfect match, ever.

People check off things that they don't agree with, you are a liar, not to be trusted, absolutely not funny, and utterly worthless to talk to on this site because the question will always arise about whether they're engaging in sophistry or if they actually mean what they say.

The social fabric of this site could be severely worse for the wear if we start throwing rhetoric like that around.

You might want to re-think those ties. - Erin Brockovich

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 10:51:10 PM PST

•  Well, yes (0+ / 0-)

every ethical question depends on a personal interpretation of ethics.  In this case, lying might or might not be justified.  You might think lying I'd never justified.  You might think it's sometimes justified to support a higher end. Or you might think that voting for a candidate is not necessarily endorsing him.

I don't care about social fabric at all, much less his site, but I actually think Operation Hilarity is pointless, as Mitt doesn't seem to poll much better than Rick, and I'd choose to take that opportunity to vote for Obama as I'm a noted Obamabot.  But I happen to think that given the GOP styl-ee, I'd just as soon interfere with their process just because we can.  Winning the election is all I care about viz election, but if we can win dirty versus win fair, I'd actually rather win dirty.  They will complain just the same, and i'm tired of the GOP thinking they're the tough guys.  So, when I say the means justify rhe ends, I am deadly serious.  I don't want to just score a goal, I want to throw some elbows just to do so.  I am a big fan of moral superiority, but I don't actually feel any if we lost an election. Or if there is no actual moral conflict.

The study of law was certainly a strange discipline. -- Yukio Mishima

by Loge on Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 11:17:38 PM PST

•  Not illegal (1+ / 0-)
      Mets102

But if you're a Republican operative trying to restrict voting rights you now get to say:

These are the people who are organizing to interfere with our right to select a presidential candidate, you think a little thing like voter fraud is going to faze them? It's what they do.
      It's fucking lie of course, but that won't make a difference.
      •  They'll say "Let's close the primary" (0+ / 0-)

and we'll say "Right on! You're complaining that you left the top down and it rained in your car. Put the damn top up!"

Open primaries are ridiculous in either party.

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective