View Diary: The birth control fight is all about women's health (139 comments)

•  One aspirin held between the knees. (9+ / 0-)

As Mark Twain would have said, that joke was shaving when Methuselah was a boy.
    Modern Republican repartee.
    I think William F. Buckley was a pompous, bigoted snob, but he was pretty articulate, and I think he is revolving wildly in his grave just about now.

I could have been a soldier... I had got part of it learned; I knew more about retreating than the man that invented retreating. --Mark Twain

by NogodsnomastersMary on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 02:05:23 PM PST

•  William F. Buckley would be disowned (8+ / 0-)

by this Republican Party. For one thing, I believe he spoke French.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference. - Yogi Berra En théorie, il n'ya aucune différence entre théorie et pratique, mais en pratique, il ya toujours une différence. - Yogi Berra

by blue aardvark on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 02:19:34 PM PST

•  So does Mittens! (2+ / 0-)
        blue aardvark, maf1029

He did his Mormon mission in France. (He recently obliged with a few remarks in French for the cameras-- another great way to score points with the Republican base. I think his accent is terrible.)

by NogodsnomastersMary on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 02:23:41 PM PST

•  I've been trying to brush up on my French (1+ / 0-)
          NogodsnomastersMary

recently. Those "R" sounds are murder. You have to get your tongue up near the roof of your mouth and gargle at the same time.

by blue aardvark on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 02:25:31 PM PST

•  that sound is a uvular trill (2+ / 0-)

That is, the body of the tongue trills, or repeatedly taps, your uvula (that thing dangling in the back of your throat).

In a lot of French accents, though, it's 'reduced' to a voiceless liquid, so it sounds more like a 'scratch' than a fluid 'roll'

"You're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic."

by nominalize on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 03:11:55 PM PST

•  I don't have one of those any longer (0+ / 0-)

It was removed along with my tonsils.

by blue aardvark on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 03:43:04 PM PST

•  oddly enough, (1+ / 0-)
                blue aardvark

tonsillectomies are much more common in the US than in France.  People here get 'em removed often, pretty much for convenience (nb: I'm not saying this was your case).  But I do know many people who got an infection and the doctor was like "eh, might as well just take 'em out."  I never met a French person who'd even had a tonsillectomy.  Maybe it makes the kissing worse. :)

"You're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic."

by nominalize on Thu Feb 16, 2012 at 03:46:47 PM PST

•  I was riding a bus home when about 4-5 young men (2+ / 0-)
          Quite Contrary, maf1029

got in, in suits.  They began speaking fluently in another language. I didn't recognize the language. But what I noticed is that although they were completely fluent, they sounded totally American -- all the words and inflections sounded like American English even though they were speaking a different language.
          Took me a little while to realize they were Mormon young men coming back from a mission (we live less than a mile from the Mormon Temple in a suburb of Washington D.C. and the bus stops there).
          This was many many years ago, probably about when Romney would have been doing his mission. My guess is that they were not taught by native speakers.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank